homemade trailer title - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » homemade trailer title

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

AznDrgn

Yes I did read through that. The paperwork part is straight forward, it's the part where a cop comes to inspect it that would pose a problem. It's going to be pretty obvious that I didn't build it. This is why I'm trying to see if there is anyone here that has gone through the process and has successfully had a trailer retitled as home built that was obviously not home built.

'01 Dodge Dakota - Daily Driver
'83 Callaway Porsche 944 - Still waiting to be put back together
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

go to Riley's and lay some bad welds over the some of the factory ones

- 2021 quickly disappearing...

Last edited by BlackTalon; 01-04-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM

AznDrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktalon View Post
go to riley's and lay somw bad welds over the some of the factory ones
hahahahahaha

'01 Dodge Dakota - Daily Driver
'83 Callaway Porsche 944 - Still waiting to be put back together
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Lemming

KFJ has one HoF thread

How old is it? You can register it in Maine if it is old enough,or, as homemade...

http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/
01 Audi A6 - gone...

Things are made of stuff -Bill Nye
Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
go to Riley's and lay some bad welds over the some of the factory ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDrgn View Post
hahahahahaha
That's what I was thinking too. Or at least add some stake brackets,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFJ View Post
How old is it? You can register it in Maine if it is old enough,or, as homemade...

http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/
That's what I was thinking too.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 01-04-2012, 02:24 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Those were all legit bikes.
Yes, I didnt mean to imply that they weren't legit. They must have been legit. After all they were still in the original shipping crates. They just fell off a truck so couldn't be sold by a dealer. That's why Vincent was selling them. He was a good family man. He would never do anything wrong.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:03 AM

ronmelancon

We have made note...and have forward this to the proper police departments all over the United States....15 States have no registration for stolen trailers....You advocate stolen property and the State of Maine helps you steal peoples trailers. Shame on you all....
see www.dangeroustrailers.org and see what your trailers do to peoples lives.
We show you how it is done..
Old 01-06-2012, 10:05 AM

ronmelancon
Default You advocate stolen propety

Did you know that a family was destroyed by a loose stolen trailer? see this...
http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Sto...lers_Page.html

Every one of you who advocate this behavior needs to be ashamed.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 AM

ronmelancon

Barnidge: Some hitches in utility trailer safety
By Tom Barnidge
Contra Costa Times Columnist
Posted: 08/10/2011 03:39:29 PM PDT
Updated: 08/10/2011 03:39:30 PM PDT

It was on a poorly lighted roadway in the dark of night that Ron Melancon bumped into the cause that's occupied him for eight years.

The Richmond, Va., resident was at the wheel of the family car when he plowed into the back of a homemade trailer. It had no taillights or reflectors, and it was painted black, which made it virtually impossible to see.

He was surprised a second time when he learned that such a towing arrangement was perfectly legal in his state. There were no regulations on trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds in Virginia.

That's when Melancon, a former emergency medical technician, decided to learn more about how utility trailers are regulated in the U.S. He discovered that 10 states don't require registration, and nine don't require safety chains -- a fail-safe measure that keeps trailers secured if a tow hitch fails.

Then came a more worrisome discovery: He found that accidents involving trailers account for about 400 fatalities and 21,000 injuries each year. He unearthed a letter from then-Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta to Congress stating that accidents involving vehicles towing trailers increased 36 percent from 1992 to 2000.

The more he learned, the more perplexed he became.

He regularly scours the Web for news accounts of trailer accidents. His findings appear across the top of his website, DangerousTrailers.org: "Since 1975, 15,592
lives lost." The pull-down tabs at the top of the home page lead to an archive of tragedies: "Homemade trailer slams into truck"; "Loose trailer takes life of 19-year-old"; "One dead in car collision with trailer."

Inadequate hitches, hitches that are improperly attached and the absence of safety chains often are cited in the worst accidents. Homemade trailers, which can be licensed in some states without inspection, are involved alarmingly often. (In California, a DMV safety verification is required.)

Perhaps the most outrageous incident occurred in 2010 near Grand Rapids, Mich., where a 46-year-old grandmother was killed when a utility trailer broke loose from a van, crossed into oncoming traffic and crashed into her SUV. The trailer had been secured by a makeshift hitch made of duct tape and metal screws.

Melancon's safety campaign has earned mentions in newspapers across the country, from USA Today to the Washington Post to the Los Angeles Times. He's fought a one-man battle, almost bereft of funding, but he's made his mark.

Largely because of his lobbying, Virginia now requires reflective tape on all trailer backs. (California requires one taillight on even the smallest trailers.) He persuaded Lowe's stores to attach reflectors to the trailers they sell. Arizona officials contacted him recently to consult on trailer safety. That, however, is only a part of his concern. He says the registration process needs to be tightened. Vehicle identification numbers, which are glued rather engraved onto trailer frames, are so easily replaced that theft and fraud are commonplace.

One popular scam is to buy a manufactured trailer, insure it, then remove the VIN and report it as stolen. Re-branding it as a homemade trailer with a new license plate can be as simple as filing bogus paperwork with another state.

Melancon did this recently to prove his point. He applied from Virginia for a Maine trailer license with a fabricated VIN (ST467OL499EN17I99AM). For a $50 fee, he received his license plate in the mail with official documentation. Apparently no one noticed the message hidden in the VIN if you remove the numbers: STOLEN I AM
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM

ronmelancon

One popular scam is to buy a manufactured trailer, insure it, then remove the VIN and report it as stolen. Re-branding it as a homemade trailer with a new license plate can be as simple as filing bogus paperwork with another state.

Melancon did this recently to prove his point. He applied from Virginia for a Maine trailer license with a fabricated VIN (ST467OL499EN17I99AM). For a $50 fee, he received his license plate in the mail with official documentation. Apparently no one noticed the message hidden in the VIN if you remove the numbers: STOLEN I AM
Edit/Delete Message