Registration for VIR in Sept 4-6 open - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Registration for VIR in Sept 4-6 open

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Chopper Dropper

Hey guys, that is the rule passed down from National to allow "open Passing" . We are aware of these anomalies, but will take a few events to shake down and get straight. There is no real reason for a Black group non instructor to ride shotgun with an Instructor, if you can learn from him, he should step up and be an Instructor!! The original intent or premise of open passing was that it was Instructors only. We along with some other regions have experienced non instructors in our "instructor groups" so that is accepted.
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM

MLIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
The best way to initiate change is from the inside. I suggest you work your way up to national-level PCA Chief Instructor, and/ or CEO of the insurance company, and make the proper changes.

Oh, and we'll chime in with a few additional 'requests' when you get there!
haha, ain't that the truth.

I remember as a white driver, I loved getting rides with people in Red and Black. I learn by feel, so it is really helpful being a passenger with different drivers.

2004 C2 Cab
1990 C2 G/H class racer
1988 911 3.2 w/ a ducktail - Sold
1999 Boxster - Sold
Old 09-01-2009, 03:47 PM

LPM911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
Hey guys, that is the rule passed down from National to allow "open Passing" . We are aware of these anomalies, but will take a few events to shake down and get straight. There is no real reason for a Black group non instructor to ride shotgun with an Instructor, if you can learn from him, he should step up and be an Instructor!! The original intent or premise of open passing was that it was Instructors only. We along with some other regions have experienced non instructors in our "instructor groups" so that is accepted.
Dirk
i understand it comes from above, and i'm thankful that we have open passing. i've enjoyed it quite a bit. i agree that its going to take a little time to figure out how to handle these types of anomalies. thats just part of the game when the rules change. i think it hurts the white group the most as they are now forced to give up a run session to ride along with an instructor. even if its just for a few laps in the instructor car, it can take a long time to change cars, etc. plus, nobody likes to give up a run session, especially if there are only 3 sessions per day. perhaps something to discuss during the white group safety briefing, just to gauge if this is really even an issue for them or not.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Credit Card Mechanic

Manny Alban

It's called risk management folks. Simple. Unlike other groups that host DE's, PCA insurance covers all of PCA. This includes everything from a social event, autocross, concours, DE and of course, club racing. We need to show the insurance company that this change (expanded passing) is as safe as our traditional passing. Unfortunately, not everyone takes a passenger out in the name of education, but rather to show off their skills at a 10/10ths level, which should not be done.

Much like anything else, we'll evaluate how things went this year and if necessary, make adjustments to the program.

Of course, the region can revoke the expanded passing for a session or more to allow for non instructors to ride as a passenger in an instructor group.
1990 911 C2 #53 H Class Wunderbred Car (gone to another PCA member...but I still have visitation rights)
2005 Boxster S (wife's car)
Old 09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Credit Card Mechanic

Manny Alban

btw, have fun at VIR. My VP duties are taking me to Georgia for a PCA multi-event weekend. My brother Marco, who just moved to blue, will be there in his 997. Give him a pass or two on Friday, it's his birthday
1990 911 C2 #53 H Class Wunderbred Car (gone to another PCA member...but I still have visitation rights)
2005 Boxster S (wife's car)
Old 09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
It's Dancey-Dance Time

Redroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
i think it hurts the white group the most as they are now forced to give up a run session to ride along with an instructor. even if its just for a few laps in the instructor car, it can take a long time to change cars, etc. plus, nobody likes to give up a run session, especially if there are only 3 sessions per day. perhaps something to discuss during the white group safety briefing, just to gauge if this is really even an issue for them or not.
Ding, ding, ding!!!!

As a Whitey I feel disgruntled and discriminated against.

I do learn from ridealongs and have been out with several instructors in Black (not extended passing though). Like Lane said, if we are not allowed to go out for rides in Black anymore, instructors would have to take us out in White and would then lose a run session. I doubt PCA would want instructors showing White drivers Black group skillz in Blue or Green.

89 944S2
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Chopper Dropper

How much older is Marco than you Manny????
That's a great idea Manny, we will opt out of extended passing for a couple Black Run group sessions so they can take their buddies out and impress them at 6/10ths
I can hear the flames getting closer
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 09-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
How much older is Marco than you Manny????
That's a great idea Manny, we will opt out of extended passing for a couple Black Run group sessions so they can take their buddies out and impress them at 6/10ths
I can hear the flames getting closer
Dirk

There's an easy way around this -- only allow instructors in Black and Red!

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
tire walls are bouncy

Lupin..the..3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLIN View Post
I remember as a white driver, I loved getting rides with people in Red and Black. I learn by feel, so it is really helpful being a passenger with different drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redroc View Post
I do learn from ridealongs and have been out with several instructors in Black (not extended passing though). Like Lane said, if we are not allowed to go out for rides in Black anymore, instructors would have to take us out in White and would then lose a run session. I doubt PCA would want instructors showing White drivers Black group skillz in Blue or Green.
Edzachary. Being a passenger is very educational indeed. Monkey-see monkey-do. Only so much can be conveyed verbally, sometimes you just need to see first-hand how to do it and then it sinks in.

Have to keep the Ins Co happy though I suppose.
Vindaloo Racing FTW!!
944's are fun

When the Wright brothers set out to create a flying machine, Science told them it was impossible.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM

HoodPin

Manny & Dirk,
I have a question under the current scenario. Since passing is still only achievable with a point-by, would it be possible for an instructor giving a non-instructor a ride to be obligated to:

A) not give a point-by in corner, and simply wait for the next straight, and B) not expect to make a pass in a corner

I understand the bottom line is risk management and all. But just wondering if this might be an acceptable workaround. As it is now, some Black/Red drivers are still reluctant to give point-by's in corners anyway.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)