Buddy of mine is looking - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » Buddy of mine is looking

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM

TD in DC

The problem with the 996s is that you could nearly double the purchase price of the car in options alone. For example, the powerkit was a 12-16K option from the factory IIRC. Similarly, sport exhaust was 2.4 K. As such, when considering prices, you really need to consider the options of the car along with all of the traditional considerations. You could have two 996s at the same price and one would be a bargain while the other would be an absolute ripoff even at the same mileage and mechanical condition. I know these considerations apply to all P-cars but I have the impression that the options availability for the water pumpers is exponentially higher than it was for "most" of the "real" 911s.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM

Purist
Default Hello all...

...thanks for your feedback. I've been looking for a 996 CABRIO for a few weeks now. It will be my first Porsche and it's going to be a daily driver (replacing my Infinity M45 Sport) - but I don't drive all that much...MAYBE 4k per year. Not all that interested in doing the track thing (yet?) but I'm a pretty decent wrench so I'm not averse to looking into modifications/maintenance. I mainly thirst for a sporty convertible that I can have some fun in and get around town in as well. That being said, I am not looking at anything other than the Porsche 911 cabrio.

Yes...one of the links I gave Scott was for a coupe. I'm not interested in a coupe - I just misread the ad. I love the cabriolet and I've found that it has more headroom with the top up and, of course, much more headroom with the top down. Even the hard top seems a bit more head-roomier than a coupe. I've driven a 993 and it seems smaller inside to me...at 6'3" and 260lbs I need all the room I can get.

I test drove this car as well:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNum ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage= 0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending& certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_41_%7CB-45000%7CD-_386_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-20170&aff=national&paId=237405516&recnum=4&leadExi sts=true

But no warranty and higher miles scared me a bit...it looks fantastic (love the chromed wheels) though and drove very well. I have an unlimited CARFAX account for 30 days and that's helped me track ownership to some degree which is nice.

SO...a black 996 cabrio is what I'm looking for...I don't want to spend more than $45k and I really don't want too much more than 40k miles on it. I know that much. It sounds like I need to get to know EVERY option and what they cost before I can weigh value properly. Any other pointers?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM

TD in DC

Purist (or whatever your name is). Go sign up for a membership in Renntech.org. As a member, you will be able to download the order forms for 996s. This would be a great way for you to become more familiar with the various options that were available, and which options are important to you. With the supply of 996s on the market, there is no reason for you to compromise on the car. You should be able to find a car optioned out very closely to what you want. In any event, you should look at the options and create a list of must haves, would likes, would prefer not to haves, and do not wants. Then, you can learn which options are easy to install or remove. With this knowledge and an idea of the value of an option (the order guide also shows prices), you will find it easier to look for the right car.

Finally, for the use you describe, I would look only at 02 plus cars.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
My wheels are blingie

Rick V

Just a thought
http://www.bmwcharlottesville.com/us...oryId=21053573
And welcome to the forum

82SC, Lanna
02 C240, Das-Uber-Lux-O-Cruiser
97 Boxter, She named it Willy
86 Dodge 4X4, Peggy, The Arctic Warrior
Go Army
Old 12-03-2007, 08:41 PM

John Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD in DC View Post

Finally, for the use you describe, I would look only at 02 plus cars.
For what kind of use would you look at a pre 2002?

I'm not in the market any time soon, but certainly thinking about 996's.
2013 Scion FR-S
Old 12-03-2007, 09:00 PM

vascott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist;173991
[URL="http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNum ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage= 0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descendin g& certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_41_%7CB-45000%7CD-_386_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-20170&aff=national&paId=237405516&recnum=4&leadExi sts=true"
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNum ber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage= 0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending& certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_41_%7CB-45000%7CD-_386_%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-20170&aff=national&paId=237405516&recnum=4&leadExi sts=true[/URL]
It comes with a cup holder !!! nothing but the best for you all...

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run"

2008 M3 - Gone
Old 12-03-2007, 09:25 PM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascott99 View Post
It comes with a cup holder !!! nothing but the best for you all...
and a non-stripped plug.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM

vascott99

LOL...Hey that is now one fine exotic Pen holder.....but I have a better idea...I could donate it to you ...and with a little piece of duct tape you could use it as a flower holder...

1979 930 - Black on Black and in the woods

"My third child that will cost more in the long run"

2008 M3 - Gone
Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 PM

TD in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
For what kind of use would you look at a pre 2002?

I'm not in the market any time soon, but certainly thinking about 996's.
For track use, I would look for a 1999 (and only a 1999) LSD car. The 1999s are the only ones that came without e-gas. Also, they are the only ones, apart from the 40th anniversary cars, that had LSD as an option.

So, an ideal pre 2002 car would be no sunroof (they are out there, albeit rare) LSD car with an aerokit (but you can always add an aerokit later).

The runner up would be the 40th anniversary (which is a post 02 car). the 40s featured LSD, and the powerkit option (extra hp).

For a pure street car, I personally would not consider a pre 02 car.

For a dual use street/track car, if it is primarily track, a 99. If it is primarily street, a 40th.

For pure street, I would probably get another Targa.

But those are just my thoughts.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD in DC View Post

For a pure street car, I personally would not consider a pre 02 car.
Y not?