Roll cage shops in NoVA that aren't Piper - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Roll cage shops in NoVA that aren't Piper

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:53 AM

tomfree
Default Roll cage shops in NoVA that aren't Piper

The new-to-me Lemons Mustang has a full cage, but after inspecting it this past weekend with my teammates, most everything forward of the roll bar won't work. We need a shop to do a new halo bar, downbars, and door bars on both sides.

We've already talked with Piper, and he thinks he can work the car in by October. To be honest, that was sooner than I anticipated, so we're on the list. We'd like to get the work done sooner so we can race before the end of the calendar year...

The car lives in Ashburn, so someone in NoVA is preferred. Obviously, it's not far to Summit Pt., so shops around the track are a good option as well. I"m not looking for a bargain, I'm just looking for someone who does solid work that can get us on the schedule more quickly than Mitch can.

Yes...I did search, but most of the threads are pretty old, and most inevitably talk about Piper (for good reason).
Old 06-16-2022, 08:42 AM

Modian

RRT built the rollbar for my m3 and I was happy with it. Could try giving them a call.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 06-16-2022, 09:40 AM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
RRT built the rollbar for my m3 and I was happy with it. Could try giving them a call.
Thank you. I completely forgot about RRT. Have you worked with them since Wayne left? He was a go-to for my previous e36, but I know he left the shop and moved to FL(?). If they're still do the same quality of work, that's a good option.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:15 AM

Paddy

Tom,

Call and speak with James; he owns the shop and their quality hasn't changed.
02 BMW Spec E46 #27
01 Boxster
86 944- AER/Chump #33
20 F250 Tremor
Old 06-17-2022, 06:45 AM

RedOctober

While not in NoVA, it's about a 3 hour tow to Phoenix Performance just outside of Philly. They build a ton of cars for SCCA, including T1 and T2 Mustangs, and do great work. If you call, ask for Joe Aquilante, the owner.

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/

'00 C5 Corvette FRC track car
'86 944 N/A (aka Doublemint) - Past
'20 Ford Expedition Max
Old 06-22-2022, 02:02 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Tom,

Call and speak with James; he owns the shop and their quality hasn't changed.
I talked with James today - RRT is out of the cage business. Not surprisingly, he recommended Piper.

We actually bought the car north of Philly, so I supposed going back up there is not out of the question. I'll call and see when they could work it in the schedule.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:29 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
While not in NoVA, it's about a 3 hour tow to Phoenix Performance just outside of Philly. They build a ton of cars for SCCA, including T1 and T2 Mustangs, and do great work. If you call, ask for Joe Aquilante, the owner.

http://www.phoenixperformance.net/
I just got off the phone with Joe - great conversation! He's backed up similar to Piper - Sept/Oct. He described their process for building cages...and it's impressive. It's also impressively priced, as it should be for that kind of work.

At the moment, we're on the waiting list at Piper and Phoenix. I'm going to continue the search.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:37 PM

4Rings

Check out Alexander Fabrication in Knoxville, MD. It's a small shop but the owner Lee does a lot of cage work, he did an excelent job on my 350Z at a very reasonable price.

'03 Ford Excursion 6.0 Diesel - Tow Vehicle
'06 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
'19 VW Beetle Final Edition - Missus DD
'06 Nissan 350Z Track Car
Old 06-22-2022, 03:43 PM

tomfree

Perfect! That's almost exactly what I had in mind. I'll definitely reach out to him!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:23 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

Not close to your area but Phil at SSI does great work and Jay Counterman builds amazing cages. His shop is next to Peter Dawe's in PA.

89 944 Turbo Racecar, used to win a bunch of races
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.