Injectors, Alternator, Fuel Pump Or Something Else? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Injectors, Alternator, Fuel Pump Or Something Else?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:00 AM

BrianVA-911
Default Injectors, Alternator, Fuel Pump Or Something Else?

I have a somewhat still new to me 83 911sc targa (155k miles) and I am hoping you all can troubleshoot an issue I am starting to see more frequently. It isn't a daily, but I try and get it out at least once or twice a week. Lately I have noted that on cold start ups, its starts right up but the RPMs stay under 1k until things warm up and then it idles at 1k. My biggest concern though is that by the time I get it backed out of the driveway and into 1st gear, I will give it more gas and it seems really laggy for a few seconds and then it either gets enough fuel or whatever the issue is corrects itself and off I go.

I have also noticed the tach bump on random occasion, which I believe is a sign the alternator is on its way out but not sure if the two are related

So the big question is, is the lagging on the cold starts related to the injectors, the alternator, fuel pump, or something else? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:46 AM

cmartin

CIS injectors are mechanical and easy enough to test if you are inclined. Pull them out one at a time, put them in a small container and with ignition on trigger fuel. Keep in mind the seals and cups are likely brittle and due for replacement if not done already. You can see spray pattern and measure volume of fuel with this test. Not scientific but generally close enough to ID a significant issue.

Dont underestimate the impact of a vacuum leak, worth spending time with a simple smoke machine or a flashlight and some carb cleaner. Also, I might suggest testing o2 sensor output and mixture to get a better idea of current state.

Battery issue. Confirm battery connections and ground strap are in good shape. test battery, charge if required, before jumping to an alternator.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:57 PM

catron1

Dont underestimate the impact of a vacuum leak, worth spending time with a simple smoke machine or a flashlight and some carb cleaner. Also, I might suggest testing o2 sensor output and mixture to get a better idea of current state.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, but Cmartin is correct, could be all of those issues.
Do you have any service history on the engine? Do you notice a difference in vacuum when you remove the oil cap while the car is running?

If you think it's a fuel related issue with the CIS, this video has a ton of info:

Bill C "aka" Catdaddy - The Catfather -

Current:
1980 911sc
2019 Ford Raptor
1987 Mercedes 560sl
------------
Sold:
2011 BMW M3
2000 996 C2-IMS 2 Row, RMS Update
1986.5 928s
1987 944 16v
1973 911t
1969 911t "My first car"!!
1969 Westfalia Bus
1973 Volks Superbeetle

Last edited by catron1; 06-20-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:51 AM

BrianVA-911

Thank you both for this great info. I will get into this once I finish up with a move I am in the process of going through right now. It kills me to have my small 1 car garage stacked with moving boxes around the car, but thankfully I am upgrading to a 2.5 car garage so it will be worth it.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:24 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread

Never saw half a car before I saw Jazz cut a 964 in half. Lol
Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 PM

slbates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVA-911 View Post
I have a somewhat still new to me 83 911sc targa (155k miles) and I am hoping you all can troubleshoot an issue I am starting to see more frequently. It isn't a daily, but I try and get it out at least once or twice a week. Lately I have noted that on cold start ups, its starts right up but the RPMs stay under 1k until things warm up and then it idles at 1k. My biggest concern though is that by the time I get it backed out of the driveway and into 1st gear, I will give it more gas and it seems really laggy for a few seconds and then it either gets enough fuel or whatever the issue is corrects itself and off I go.

I have also noticed the tach bump on random occasion, which I believe is a sign the alternator is on its way out but not sure if the two are related

So the big question is, is the lagging on the cold starts related to the injectors, the alternator, fuel pump, or something else? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
This is exactly how my 911SC acted when the warm up regulator was failing. Ran fine once warm but had very poor acceleration until then
911SC (gone)
Old 06-24-2022, 08:40 AM

BrianVA-911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parenn911 View Post
Never saw half a car before I saw Jazz cut a 964 in half. Lol
you aren't looking hard enough. lol

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/356-sculpture/
Old 06-25-2022, 04:25 PM
Loose Lips Sink Ships

Parenn911 has one HoF thread

Quote: