Potomac's Migration to MotorSportReg.com - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Potomac's Migration to MotorSportReg.com

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
joep's Avatar
joep joep is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PW county Virginia
Posts: 2,515
joep
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel View Post
Oh right! You are a comedian!
Right! Trying on both accounts really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
...
Brian:
Can you improve the functionality to allow attachments to outgoing emails. We really appreciate getting schedules, rosters, etc. in nicely formatted form, but apparently MSR can only output text within the message...
This is an issue, but perhaps using a link to a file download at pcapotomac.org site would serve the same purpose?
__________________
Ken
'03 - boxster - Joy Toy
-rolling convertible action
-de-ambered
-Boxster Brey-Krause Roll Bar
'05 - 955s Gold - My Other / On Road / Off Road
-coolant pipe by pass 08/11
-heart & short soul block replaced @50k 01/12
-cardan shafted & replaced @125k 09/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
I could feel my self-esteem rising, even while realizing how incorrect I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
I think I like the purple, it placates my lesbian side.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Trak Ratt's Avatar
Trak Ratt Trak Ratt is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Alexandria/Mt. Vernon, Va
Posts: 27,025
Trak Ratt has one HoF thread
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka View Post
BTW what is the fastest way through the cork screw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
I have been going downhill for years.
Secrets out... I saw Sir Sterling Moss take a short cut (not unlike Talon's from T-5 to T-8) Didn't end well for him, but then he never did win a world championship
__________________
David

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM
pukka pukka is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 9
pukka
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
BTW what is the fastest way through the cork screw?
Look for the top of the Oak tree on the right. But the corkscrew doesn't really matter - it's T9 that'll get ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
Can you improve the functionality to allow attachments to outgoing emails. We really appreciate getting schedules, rosters, etc. in nicely formatted form, but apparently MSR can only output text within the message...
Peter - you can do formatted emails which can look as nice as you want to make them, but we don't support attachments because of spam issues. We've taken our cues from people smarter than us about email delivery and have found that it has a much higher chance of putting your email in the junk folder. The suggestion to put the file on your website and link to it is spot on and is considered the best practice (even though I personally prefer to have the attachment, so I feel you).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Jazzbass's Avatar
Jazzbass Jazzbass is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 11,735
Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukka View Post
Peter - you can do formatted emails which can look as nice as you want to make them, but we don't support attachments because of spam issues. We've taken our cues from people smarter than us about email delivery and have found that it has a much higher chance of putting your email in the junk folder. The suggestion to put the file on your website and link to it is spot on and is considered the best practice (even though I personally prefer to have the attachment, so I feel you).
As someone who deals with spam issues on a regular basis, I can confirm this. Spam filters are already a problem and adding attachments makes it a lot worse. I get at least one email a week, probably more, from Dorki users who can post because their confirmation emails got eaten by the spam filter. And regardless of the fact that it's the user's email system that deleted the email, and regardless of the fact that you tell people to make sure they check their spam folder for the email, it ends up being your problem ("your board won't let me post" or "your registration system never sent out a confirmation email").
__________________
Chris M
1985 911 Carrera with a couple cosmetic only mods
2006 E90 330i
1999 E46 328i
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM
VaSteve's Avatar
VaSteve VaSteve is offline
Essential Personnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Western Prince William County
Posts: 13,752
VaSteve has one HoF thread
Default

LOL, I'm always cautious when signing up on new sites because if I have problems, I know there's a guy like Jazz on the other side running things.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
APKhaos's Avatar
APKhaos APKhaos is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,715
APKhaos
Default

Surely a pdf of the schedule and run group lists posted on the PCAP or the MSR website is a perfectly workable solution. In fact, its probably better given it can be updated without having to shower everyone registered with more email & attachments.
__________________
Tony K
PCA Potomac, Rennlist Member
89 944 Turbo
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM
LPM911's Avatar
LPM911 LPM911 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,008
LPM911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by APKhaos View Post
Surely a pdf of the schedule and run group lists posted on the PCAP or the MSR website is a perfectly workable solution. In fact, its probably better given it can be updated without having to shower everyone registered with more email & attachments.
Good question, why haven't we we posted it on the Potomac PCA website before? That would be very useful I think.
__________________
Lane
'93 RS America | '03 M3 | '02 325iT | '98 328is | '15 i3 REX
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Chopper Dropper's Avatar
Chopper Dropper Chopper Dropper is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Easton, Md
Posts: 3,020
Chopper Dropper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
Good question, why haven't we we posted it on the Potomac PCA website before? That would be very useful I think.
One problem is that run groups and lists are subject to change at the last minute. We have drivers from different regions/clubs that claim one run group and need to be changed up or down quite often. Most of your friends will post here anyway if they are going or not!!
Dirk
__________________
Co DE Chair, PCA Potomac Region.
Retired Co-Chief Instructor PCA Potomac 2008-2012
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Trak Ratt's Avatar
Trak Ratt Trak Ratt is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Alexandria/Mt. Vernon, Va
Posts: 27,025
Trak Ratt has one HoF thread
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
One problem is that run groups and lists are subject to change at the last minute. We have drivers from different regions/clubs that claim one run group and need to be changed up or down quite often. Most of your friends will post here anyway if they are going or not!!
Dirk
Schedules should be ok though... yes/no?
__________________
David

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 PM
joep's Avatar
joep joep is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PW county Virginia
Posts: 2,515
joep
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
Good question, why haven't we we posted it on the Potomac PCA website before? That would be very useful I think.
Because the DE website used to fill this role I think.

I have to agree with the guys above on the logic about spam filters too. I think its is a great idea to link to the file too.

If the DE group wants to do this, we'll help them get it posted faster than your ass cheeks instinctively turn away from Dr.K while checking your tire pressure.
__________________
Ken
'03 - boxster - Joy Toy
-rolling convertible action
-de-ambered
-Boxster Brey-Krause Roll Bar
'05 - 955s Gold - My Other / On Road / Off Road
-coolant pipe by pass 08/11
-heart & short soul block replaced @50k 01/12
-cardan shafted & replaced @125k 09/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
I could feel my self-esteem rising, even while realizing how incorrect I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
I think I like the purple, it placates my lesbian side.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump