PCA Experience and PorscheFest - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » PCA Experience and PorscheFest

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Mrs. B-Man
Default PCA Experience and PorscheFest

I haven't "visited" Dorki in a LONG LONG time, but wanted to just take a quick second to say THANK YOU to all the volunteers and participants who made last weekend an amazing experience for the PCA Potomac, Chesapeake and out-of-region members and prospective members visiting Summit Point Raceway.

I've seen some of the in-car videos of "Taste of Autocross" -- HILARIOUS. We owe a big debt to PCA Chesapeake who took the helm and ran the event for us. I think they enjoyed it, but it was SUPER BUSY with about 60 "taste of" participants and maybe a dozen or so DE crossovers.

The DE experience was fantastic - boy did we luck out with the weather. It felt soooo good to be back on track finally and though I wasn't pushing out 1.19's, I wasn't much off that number when I got warmed up. I had a few "Oh, was Bman driving your car last session?" questions, which made me smile. Our DE team is top-notch and I don't know if you know how many people it takes to run an event like this .... CI's, DE Chairs, instructors, classroom teachers, BMW SKID PAD, grid, track steward, safety, flaggers, communication, EV, tech inspection, new driver ambassadors, instructor mentors, instructor candidates, track coordination, happy hour and beer tub, registration, MSR registrars, finance bursar etc. And I am sure I am missing someone, so please forgive me. Stellar event!

Our new social chair seemed to knock it out of the ball park with the BBQ on Saturday night. Thanks, Jason!

The Drive and Dine committee had a sell-out crowd and they loved their on-course charity laps during lunch time. Thanks for the DE crew who helped stage and provide the lead / follow point people. It was great for them to be able to go to Washington Circuit for the PCA Experience afterward and have their lunch with the food trucks and to see all the activities there as well.

Our Concours committee brought out some super special cars to the circular staging area at Washington. Michael Copperthite's 356 won the Best in Show and then he immediately took it over to the autocross track to show how it still puurrrrrrssss around the cones. I was able to talk to some newer members with some GT cars and convinced them to try them on one of our moving program events.

Club Race set up a gorgeous tent and had two of our PCA Club Racers signing autographs along-side their race cars. Pat and Donna couldn't have chosen two more perfectly-suited drivers, so thanks to Scott & Chip for strutting their stuff.

Of course, I am forever grateful to the Potomac Exec team who asked throughout the weekend what they each could do to help ensure the event ran smoothly. David, Stephen, Ken & Gary - you're the best!

A giant kudos to Vu and the PCA National Staff who were all "volun-told" to participate on Saturday and managed to do it with giant smiles and great efficiency. Vu even had his children out there working -- actually, there were a lot of young adults volunteering which I love to see. I can't name all the positions that National filled for volunteers, but every time I thanked someone, they said, "I work at National" -- so all hands were certainly on deck. FANTASTICALLY PLANNED AND EXECUTED EXPERIENCE, NATIONAL!

I mentioned at our BBQ dinner that National signed up over 60 new members (may be more as I was there earlier in the day) -- so I can't wait to welcome those people into our club. The #pcaexperience was a great marketing tool to give prospective members an insight as to the joys of membership and it worked 100%. Business schools should be teaching this method soon!

Finally, a big hug to Michael Kaunitz who agreed to be the PorscheFest Coordinator this year when I asked him in the fall. Sunday afternoon, he asked me, "Was that enough of a FEST for you, Mia?" -- the answer was an overwhelming "YES".

Organizing so many different cogs in a wheel on such a giant scale doesn't happen too often and last weekend made me especially proud and honored to serve as President of PCA Potomac.

Forever grateful, Mia Walsh

PS: "It's not just the cars, it's the people." I'm still in awe with the innumerable well-wishes from PCA members when my mother passed away last month. I was taken back by the amount of cards, emails, texts, flowers and people trekking so far north for the viewing and funeral. My heart is full.

PPS: As always, I thank B-man for bringing me into this crazy scene. I made the step from off-road driving to the circuit after he came back from his day 1 at Summit Point and he said, "YOU WILL LOVE IT!" -- and he was right. I couldn't have a more supportive guy by my side. xoxox (Dorki Admins -- I need a HEART icon or a smile with hearts, please ...)
2009 White Cayman S #271 (GTB1 Class)
2015 White Boxster S
2015 Blue Cayenne Diesel
1972 911 S - color in process

His, all his: B-man's 2005 White GT3 Cup Car plus a number of other ones whose seats are not able to be adjusted so my legs can't reach the pedals so I can't drive them.

GONE: This list got too long.

GTB1 TRIPLE PODIUM WINNER xoxo
2015 Potomac Club Race Rookie of the Year

Last edited by Mrs. B-Man; 08-09-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:28 PM

Dandelion

60 new members? I will bill you for overtime. :-P

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

No shit. Tech is going to double our hourly rates!

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
No shit. Tech is going to double our hourly rates!
Wait..... you’re getting paid

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM

87turbolook911

Yes, thanks to the many volunteers that made the PCA Experience happen. If this didn't convince folks that they need to be a part of PCA, well then I guess they ought to take up another hobby LOL.

And thanks to the Porsche of Silver Spring and Porsche of Towson for joining us and to the other dealers who helped spread the word.

For those of you who listen to DC101 EITM, we even got a little air time. More to come I'm sure.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Hurricane

It was definitely a blast! I came over to the PCA Experience setup at lunchtime and it blew me away. Such an awesome event - I hope we can do something like it again next year.
Wish I had been able to bring the family out - so many cool cars to see!

Chesapeake did a great job with the AX! It was neat to see some of the folks I recognized from the Drive & Dine crowd come out and take a few rides.
2012.5 Carrera S (991) (Sold)
2006 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
2000 Corvette Coupe (Sold)