disposible removable numbers for track - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » disposible removable numbers for track

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM

Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
If your car is magnetic, we've had great luck with these numbers: http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.p...=index&cPath=1

You have to clean the spot where you are going to put the numbers and you cannot move them all weekend or else dust will get under there and they will fly off.
thanks, i will check them out

2014 Cayman S
2012 Cayman S - retired
2006 Boxster S
Old 03-14-2019, 04:07 PM

somdcroc

https://www.sswdealersupply.com/wind...d-symbols.aspx

I use these and also buy them for "Intro to HPDE" students' cars during FSR HPDEs. They work great, stick well, are very visible, peel off easy, etc. For my own car I use the largest ones on the sides and smaller ones on the front and back. These things stick great and stay stuck in any weather and are very visible.

As a flagger there is nothing I despise worse (yes--even more then someone ignoring a flag) is a car that has unreadable numbers. PCA rules state your numbers need to be of contrasting color as well as sufficient size. Sticking dark painters tape (that rolls off in the rain) or shoe polish against a dark color or in the quarter windows (tinted) makes your numbers unreadable from a flag stand. I also see too many magnetics depart the car on the first lap of the first session. Unless the car surface is very clean, the magnetic number has a very large surface area, and the leading edges are taped, they will become a hazard.
SCCA DC Region & PCAP Club Race F&C
de@fsrpca.org
2011 Cayman S "Hopealuoti"
Old 03-14-2019, 04:14 PM

Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcroc View Post
I also see too many magnetics depart the car on the first lap of the first session. Unless the car surface is very clean, the magnetic number has a very large surface area, and the leading edges are taped, they will become a hazard.
We have had no issues with iZooms' magnetic numbers coming off (and we don't tape them) as long as we clean the surface first and don't move them! At a PorscheFest, Jim and I did the autocross, swapping numbers back and forth during runs; and then, like an idiot, I went on track. Ooops.
PCA Potomac Track Registrar and Autocross Registrar

#12 Autocross
#21 DE
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM

Dandelion

I used adhesive vinyl numbers on my windows. Needed a razor blade to remove them, but not difficult.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM

trytryagain

The hood and doors of 981s are aluminum FWIW. The rear bumper cover is plastic.

1986 911 Targa (Aka "Dusty")
2014 Cayman (Aka "Rubber Ducky")

1971 914 (back in the day)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:12 PM
#polishforprez

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytryagain View Post
The hood and doors of 981s are aluminum FWIW. The rear bumper cover is plastic.
Don't muddle up a good discussion with facts!

- 2019 quickly disappearing...
Old 03-14-2019, 09:04 PM

somdcroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
We have had no issues with iZooms' magnetic numbers coming off (and we don't tape them) as long as we clean the surface first and don't move them! At a PorscheFest, Jim and I did the autocross, swapping numbers back and forth during runs; and then, like an idiot, I went on track. Ooops.
I never had any issues with my magnetics I bought though Rennline (huge surface area) but since I started using them I honestly prefer dealer type disposable stick-on numbers. However, I truly have witnessed too many magnetics falling off when I flag--especially in the colder/cloudy weather (like last weekend) when they are stiffer and don't conform to the car and therefore don't stick well (and what others said about aluminum and plastic parts on modern Porsches). So, yes--its personal preference but folks should know the numbers aren't for the Tech Inspector, or the Grid workers--the numbers are for the corner workers and if they cant be read from 100 feet or more they are worthless no matter what material you choose. I'd also like to rant about how poorly folks modify their number by adding a 1 or other numeral to the front (or back) with tape of their regular numbers when the number is already in use by someone else. Usually its unreadable and often comes off if the weather is bad. My rant is over!
SCCA DC Region & PCAP Club Race F&C
de@fsrpca.org
2011 Cayman S "Hopealuoti"
Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 PM

Modian

I use static cling vinyl on the inside of my windows now. Painless on and off and they donít budge. I got them from trackdecals.com. However, I forgot where I put them after I pulled them off over the winter...

Iíve also used car dealer price stickers. You can get them cheap on amazon, theyíre very bright, and Iíve never lost them on track. Though they have peeled off while the car was on a trailer driving to VIR.

Ď93 964
Ď04 M3
Gone - Ď79 911, Ď02 M5, Ď88 951
Old 03-15-2019, 07:14 AM

RV4Flyer

Snaged a Silouhette Cameo 3 open box new off eBay last year for around $150 and now will do my own. The rolls of vinyl and film are pretty cheap. End of event they peel right off.

Wall of Dearly Departed Loved Ones
07 987 Cayman S
03 996
86 944
74 914
78 924

Bro Code Rule 43:
When a Bro learns another Bro has been in a traffic accident, they must first ask what condition the car is in.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:51 AM

jerome951

I bought a roll of 3M vinyl (actually, 3 rolls of different colors) and a pack of stencils sized to meet PCA club race requirements. I just trace and cut my own
'15 Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid (DD)
'06 Toyota Tundra