Recommend a shop for a '90 turbo Supra? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Recommend a shop for a '90 turbo Supra?

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Handlebar
Default Recommend a shop for a '90 turbo Supra?

A friend of mine has had a '90 Supra for awhile and it is seemingly stuck in a shop for interminable repairs. He reached out to me to ask if I could find any recommended mechanics. So... any recommendations?

If this matters for your recommendations, here is some of his info he gave me: He told me it has "a completely built engine. new rings, bearings, head to machine shop, upgraded injectors, ECU Master installed. Upgraded Turbo, upgraded clutch, fuel pressure regulator, redid intercooler piping and was supposed to get break in and then tuned on dyno, now they can't get it to start....This process is going over a year now..thus I'm beyond frustrated.

"I've dropped $$$K + into a car that won't run..."

He has been using Moore Automotive, in Fairfax for this work. I don't know if Moore did the rebuild, I sure hope not. In the invoice he sent me, he has 0 PSI in cylinder 1, only 95 in cylinder 6. The injectors have been very finicky. He ordered a set from somewhere, and they were nowhere near the same sizes, and had a hard time finding sets that were consistent. (My recollection)

David continues: "I've been told they were able to get it running, do compression tests then as they were getting it ready to tune it the injector problems popped up, meaning I sent them back to be redone as they were all over the place in flow and once everything was put back together I won't start. Something about ecu is getting mixed signals from distributor, mind you they replaced the wiring harness before I pulled the engine because the one in it was a mess, now it's wired up wrong?"

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

1988 911 Carrera 3.2
(1995 911 - gone)
1997 Spec Boxster - #121
2004 911 GT3
2022 Mini Cooper S
2008 VW Touareg 2
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM

Dave O

It is a ways from him but AndrewTech in the Montgomery Airpark is a Subaru tuner shop that I really like. They have helped me with my Subaru engine in my Vanagon and are not afraid of anything. There are always serious HP Subarus parked there, including the mechanics cars. Andrew is the owner.

http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 PM

Dandelion

I hear that Dominic Toretto can turn these into 10 second cars.

Ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 02-20-2018, 10:06 AM

87turbolook911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varejao17 View Post
I hear that Dominic Toretto can turn these into 10 second cars.

Ed
LOL
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM

JmuRiz

Different generation, but still funny
Attached Images

‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 02-25-2018, 01:56 PM

flashgordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar View Post
A friend of mine has had a '90 Supra for awhile and it is seemingly stuck in a shop for interminable repairs. He reached out to me to ask if I could find any recommended mechanics. So... any recommendations?

If this matters for your recommendations, here is some of his info he gave me: He told me it has "a completely built engine. new rings, bearings, head to machine shop, upgraded injectors, ECU Master installed. Upgraded Turbo, upgraded clutch, fuel pressure regulator, redid intercooler piping and was supposed to get break in and then tuned on dyno, now they can't get it to start....This process is going over a year now..thus I'm beyond frustrated.

"I've dropped $$$K + into a car that won't run..."

He has been using Moore Automotive, in Fairfax for this work. I don't know if Moore did the rebuild, I sure hope not. In the invoice he sent me, he has 0 PSI in cylinder 1, only 95 in cylinder 6. The injectors have been very finicky. He ordered a set from somewhere, and they were nowhere near the same sizes, and had a hard time finding sets that were consistent. (My recollection)

David continues: "I've been told they were able to get it running, do compression tests then as they were getting it ready to tune it the injector problems popped up, meaning I sent them back to be redone as they were all over the place in flow and once everything was put back together I won't start. Something about ecu is getting mixed signals from distributor, mind you they replaced the wiring harness before I pulled the engine because the one in it was a mess, now it's wired up wrong?"

Thanks for your helpful suggestions.
Check out this link : https://www.facebook.com/NTO.Motorsports

These guys are really good friends of mine. They did most of the fabwork, fuel, and electronics on my 700whp 930. If you scroll down far enough in the pics you'll see my car. anyway, tell them Mitch recommended you.

The Art of War...
Old 02-25-2018, 05:41 PM

Handlebar

Thanks!

1988 911 Carrera 3.2
(1995 911 - gone)
1997 Spec Boxster - #121
2004 911 GT3
2022 Mini Cooper S
2008 VW Touareg 2