Today's random project... - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Today's random project...

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 11-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default Today's random project...

I haven't been working on the 911 a lot recently, so not a ton to contribute to the Porsche-iness of the board. However, it seems like at least twice a week there's another repair/restoration/build project I have to tackle in a sisyphean effort to keep all the shit I own in working order.

Today's project was the treadmill. Believe it or not, I do actually use the damn thing. This particular machine does seem to have a design flaw, though - it blows the motor control MOSFET every 200-250 miles of use. This is a shot of the motor control board with the red arrow pointing to the problem MOSFET in question:

Name:  trp1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  474.6 KB

It's become such a common issue that I actually buy the damn things in bulk:

Name:  trp2.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  451.6 KB

I've tried plugging the treadmill into a surge protector, unplugging it when not in use, etc. Still blows the damn MOSFET every 1-2 years. Now, replacing the MOSFET is simple enough - I have the tools and experience after all - but its a pain in the ass. To get the PCB out you have to unbolt all 6 transistors from the heat sink, clean up the thermal paste, desolder the old MOSFET, install the new, rebolt everything, and hope that your repeated soldering/desoldering doesn't lift any traces on the PCB. All this when I really just want to go for a 2-3 mile jog.

Last time this happened I swore I'd modify the treadmill to make MOSFET replacement a quick-change operation if it ever happened again. Last night I did just that. I had my son make me a mounting bracket for a TO-247 socket that I got just for this project and attached it to the frame of the treadmill:

Name:  trp3.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  399.3 KB

I then wired the socket to the original holes in the PCB and installed the new MOSFET.

Name:  trp5.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  453.5 KB

Close up:

Name:  trp4.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  396.1 KB

Now if (when) it blows again, I remove the mounting screw, slide the old one out, new one in, reinsert the screw and the treadmill is back and running again in 2 mins.

I was a tad worried during the conversion that the wire lengths would be too long and cause some weirdness, but it doesn't seem like the transistor switches fast enough for this to be an issue. I figured the frame of the treadmill would be a good enough heat sink, but did monitor temps during a test run and everything was good.
1999 E46 328i
Old 11-16-2018, 11:57 AM

SJK

I love projects like this but never seem to find the time to do them! You may also find that changing the thermal environment will have solved the issue.

Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
I haven't been working on the 911 a lot recently, so not a ton to contribute to the Porsche-iness of the board. However, it seems like at least twice a week there's another repair/restoration/build project I have to tackle in a sisyphean effort to keep all the shit I own in working order.

Today's project was the treadmill. Believe it or not, I do actually use the damn thing. This particular machine does seem to have a design flaw, though - it blows the motor control MOSFET every 200-250 miles of use. This is a shot of the motor control board with the red arrow pointing to the problem MOSFET in question:

Attachment 59109

It's become such a common issue that I actually buy the damn things in bulk:

Attachment 59110

I've tried plugging the treadmill into a surge protector, unplugging it when not in use, etc. Still blows the damn MOSFET every 1-2 years. Now, replacing the MOSFET is simple enough - I have the tools and experience after all - but its a pain in the ass. To get the PCB out you have to unbolt all 6 transistors from the heat sink, clean up the thermal paste, desolder the old MOSFET, install the new, rebolt everything, and hope that your repeated soldering/desoldering doesn't lift any traces on the PCB. All this when I really just want to go for a 2-3 mile jog.

Last time this happened I swore I'd modify the treadmill to make MOSFET replacement a quick-change operation if it ever happened again. Last night I did just that. I had my son make me a mounting bracket for a TO-247 socket that I got just for this project and attached it to the frame of the treadmill:

Attachment 59111

I then wired the socket to the original holes in the PCB and installed the new MOSFET.

Attachment 59112

Close up:

Attachment 59113

Now if (when) it blows again, I remove the mounting screw, slide the old one out, new one in, reinsert the screw and the treadmill is back and running again in 2 mins.

I was a tad worried during the conversion that the wire lengths would be too long and cause some weirdness, but it doesn't seem like the transistor switches fast enough for this to be an issue. I figured the frame of the treadmill would be a good enough heat sink, but did monitor temps during a test run and everything was good.
'02 Boxster S (gone to a good home)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM

Eplebnista

Next step: water cooling...
Old 11-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplebnista View Post
Jazz is an air-cooled kinda guy...

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 11-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eplebnista View Post
Maybe overclocking?

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Add lightness, oh that’s how this mess started

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Brush or brushless motor?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Professional coach

Rob in VA

I guess the designers never thought someone would use their products more than 6-9 months. ha! Good job, Chris and I like that your boy helped.

BMW Spec E46 #609

BMW specE30 #609

2004 911 GT3 - Seal Grey
Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM

cmartin

x2

Most of this stuff seems designed for months of use only. Good work Jazz.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in VA View Post
I guess the designers never thought someone would use their products more than 6-9 months. ha! Good job, Chris and I like that your boy helped.
They last much longer as clothes hangers.

Ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2