Experience with GT-Racing or other aftermarket panel makers - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Experience with GT-Racing or other aftermarket panel makers

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:19 PM

tomfree
Default Experience with GT-Racing or other aftermarket panel makers

Has anyone on the board used fiberglass and/or CF body panels from some of the vendors like GT Racing (https://www.gt-racing.com/)? What was your experience? I know that EVERY aftermarket panel needs a certain amount of finesse to make it fit. Which ones require the "least" amount of finesse? Which vendor panels would you not wish on your worst enemy? I will farm this out to a body shop for fitment and paint, so buying good panels up front will save me money on labor.

A nose panel and hood vents are first priority for engine cooling, and fender flares are next so I can cram as much tire under the car as possible.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Lifer

jbailey930

HI Tom - I have an RSR like spoiler from GT Racing on my 930. Intersport put it on about 20 years ago. They complained a little about the fitment but its held up well over that time. Not exactly a panel...hope they would improve their moldings over time. Good luck!
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 11-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

I used GT racing for the 911 track car. Every part of every panel required fine tuning or more. Right front fender was mat, left was chopper.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 PM

Der ABT

Fiberglass has been tough, granted I use the race car versions, but seems they all have gotten thinner over the years, they do have show versions that are done a little better and thicker supposedly. GT I've had good and thick. Paper thin and not bad

Rothsport (who im now a dealer for) but haven't tried them out myself, TRE i have had 1 good 1 bad, And a few other companies I've unfortunately had to use.....dont have a best yet or favorite yet, most have been pretty good but always could use some reinforcement to make em last longer.

I actually need a new one, and a new door after a turn 10 incident 2 yrs ago, so may be ordering one as well.
I think I have a TRE on the car now with some fiber fixes I've done and I may even have a GT racing behind the garage as spare parts if you wanna look or pics
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 11-19-2020, 09:34 PM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

Look at page 2 from my Targa. I used Rennspeed parts.

https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showth...t=39608&page=2

You need to scroll half way down.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
1966 912 - Future Project
Old 11-20-2020, 10:03 AM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothaus View Post
Look at page 2 from my Targa. I used Rennspeed parts.

https://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showth...t=39608&page=2

You need to scroll half way down.

Cheers
Engelbert
Thanks everyone!

So...batting .500 for fitment with the Rennspeed stuff bumpers. I know the cut/fill in the gaps with more fiberglass/smooth with body filler is what any good body guy will do to make things fit correctly, so I'm hoping better panels minimize that need.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:39 PM
Most Courteous Driver

edevinney

I've got a Getty decklid on my 993. It required fitting and tuning by the body guys but apparently wasn't heinous. But their definition and that of someone not in the business might be different.
Old 11-23-2020, 03:49 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

I'm assuming these parts are for the 951. I have bought several of the nose/header panels for our cars from GTracing and they have fit well with very little modification. I like the look of the single hole opening for the intercooler. They are also PCA ClubRace sponsors so I keep that in mind when spending my dollars. I have also bought splitters from American International Racing https://www.americaninternationalrac...egory/porsche/ and their products are of good quality as well.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:49 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
I'm assuming these parts are for the 951. I have bought several of the nose/header panels for our cars from GTracing and they have fit well with very little modification. I like the look of the single hole opening for the intercooler. They are also PCA ClubRace sponsors so I keep that in mind when spending my dollars. I have also bought splitters from American International Racing https://www.americaninternationalrac...egory/porsche/ and their products are of good quality as well.
Yep, these are indeed for the forthcoming 951. I've seen quite a few LS-swapped cars with the single inlet header panel and hood vents to facilitate better cooling.

The car comes with a splitter as well (not on the car in the pictures), but I don't know anything else about it - brand/model, etc. That will be a fact-finding mission.

I'm not familiar with AIR - will check out their site tonight.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:36 PM

DonNewton

I've used both GT Racing and Getty. Getty wins, hands down. This, of course, is just my experience and as Bob Novas used to say all the time: "YMMV". Hey, Bob. . . you still here?