2015 Garden - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

You can make a PVC frame and drape netting across top and down sides. Depending on the size of the bed(s) you can make low ones you just lift off/ reset, or make tall ones that you leave and place and enter through a lap in netting pieces.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 04-16-2015, 04:01 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stylianos View Post
What kind of animals? Deer are the worst and can munch down a whole garden in one eve. TALL fence (6'-8') slanted outward should do it. I had some deer getting into the old plot with a 4" fence and this seemed to do the trick the rest of the year.

NEW! - Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler Test & Review: BEST Animal Deterrent? - YouTube
This works well in the front yard to repel 2 footed dinner time door knockers too.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:08 AM

cmartin

So far I've pulled a few potatoes, the strawberries were great and some herbs have been useful. Still a few days away for the first tomato and a few peppers are getting close.

My major error this year was planing too much. After tending to seeds for so long it didnt make sense to toss all but the best of the bunch. Now I have way too much planted, sure makes weeding a chore.

Also, I planned lettuce and radishes early, just before the neighbor's trees started growing. What was a nice sunny spot quickly became mostly shade. Needless to say, lettuce and radishes have been a failure.

I have a ton of broccoli that looks good but I'm not sure how much longer it can stand the hot weather.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2015, 11:18 AM

forklift

Awesome. Hope to do something like this in a few years. PO planted asparagus so we do have that popping up.
Jim, ex P-car: 93 RSA, G stock #222
Old 06-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Sweet -- looks like addition is largely framed and waiting on sheathing.

Our herb garden has been going nutz, and we've had a ton of lettuce. Still a few strawberries, but petering out. Tomato plants are in varying stages, with many just beginning to flower. A few Romas have some hanging fruit, although probably still a couple weeks away from turning red. Peppers are really just getting going. Currents have been coming in well, but they are really tough for some reason (likely not enough agua). Got a few dozen green plums, so we may actually have some survive to ripening stage this year (cherry tree was decimated yet again by deer, despite surrounding wire fencing). Figs are bouncing back from near-death; tons of foliage but no figs. Still have green blueberries; we'll see if they survive to ripened stage this year.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 07-23-2015, 01:27 PM

forklift

Garden action video. I no longer drive I guess. I do yard work.

Anyone know how to get rid of moles w/o poison worms or traps? Have a trap but nothing yet. I'm thinking night vision and a 22 or 12 gauge. Tunnels are everywhere in the garden.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:42 PM

cmartin

Good stuff. I see a few around my place, suckers can move!

Quote:
I no longer drive I guess. I do yard work.
x2

Quote:
Anyone know how to get rid of moles w/o poison worms or traps?
Think you dog could coexist with a cat? One started coming around a while ago and leave me all sorts of animal remains.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

forklift

Tnx, but dog would eat cat or get clawed, probably latter. Thought about this though for the mice around here but snakes and traps have done a decent job so far for them. Don't particularly want more vet & pet food bills either but ...that is an idea to borrow one from somewhere and just keep the dog away for the weekend.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM

cmartin

I had good luck with bait stations for mice but the only thing thats worked for the voles/moles has been the cat.

On the garden, I'm just about to pull up the zucchini, squash bugs found me address and are going to town. I'm not happy about using chemicals but even the DTE gets washed away too easily.

Green beens have been great as have the peppers and egg plant. Only a few good tomatoes so far, some are rotting before they ripen, need to figure that out.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

When you do let me know. My tomatoes are splitting and rotting on the vine this year too. I think it has something to do with temps and water.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.