Registration for VIR in Sept 4-6 open - Page 23 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Registration for VIR in Sept 4-6 open

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Eric S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
Eric -- did you try playing w/ sway bar settings to dial out some of the oversteer?
Indeed; using the philosophy typical for rain and other low grip surfaces, I made suspension adjustments to make it more compliant. I adjusted sway bars (coarse adjustment: full soft rear and 4th softest of 5 positions in front) and also reduced shock valve settings (finer adjustment: rebound 3 of 7 and compression 2 of 7, when typical at VIR is 5 rebound/4 compression and I've run as high as 6 rebound/5 compression). It helped, but not much. The confounding thing is that while I mostly noticed the throttle oversteer, I also had push and would at times find all four wheels drifting - in places like Turn 10!

It seemed like a general and overall lack of grip, most likely due to the fact that they haven't had any rain to clean the track in a couple of months so there is a bunch a crap built up on the track. That being the case, others found a way to deal with it better, so it is a learning opportunity...
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Eric S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
all i know is that the two people i know who have black anodized fikse/ccw have had issues with the color changing.
Never mind - I agree that I've seen black anodizing look less than black. Mine are what Fikse calls "Race Satin Anodized"; those have been color stable.
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Indeed; using the philosophy typical for rain and other low grip surfaces, I made suspension adjustments to make it more compliant. I adjusted sway bars (coarse adjustment: full soft rear and 4th softest of 5 positions in front) and also reduced shock valve settings (finer adjustment: rebound 3 of 7 and compression 2 of 7, when typical at VIR is 5 rebound/4 compression and I've run as high as 6 rebound/5 compression). It helped, but not much. The confounding thing is that while I mostly noticed the throttle oversteer, I also had push and would at times find all four wheels drifting - in places like Turn 10!

It seemed like a general and overall lack of grip, most likely due to the fact that they haven't had any rain to clean the track in a couple of months so there is a bunch a crap built up on the track. That being the case, others found a way to deal with it better, so it is a learning opportunity...
Is it possible that tires have simply reached the end of their useful life? Not sure what you're using, but I've found that Hoosiers get progressively "greasier" after about 15-20 heat cycles. Might still see some tread grooves, and still pretty quick, but sliding/drifting becomes more an issue.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

heat cycle for wheels or not, i have been told that powdercoating will prevent you from seeing hairline fractures on the wheels. this, i am also told, is bad
i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me
Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Eric S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ986S View Post
Is it possible that tires have simply reached the end of their useful life? Not sure what you're using, but I've found that Hoosiers get progressively "greasier" after about 15-20 heat cycles. Might still see some tread grooves, and still pretty quick, but sliding/drifting becomes more an issue.
Possible, but not likely - they only had three heat cycles on them to start the weekend and should have been good throughout (based on 7 seasons of experience with Hoosiers). As for those spin-induced flat spots, not so much - glad it was in the last run session!
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM

OldTee has one HoF thread

For those interested in the results of Matt's investigation of Andrews fuel cut off problem, he found it and the the problem is one he has not seen. It was the fuel pressure regulator sticking shut intermittently causing the fuel pressure to rise to above 100 lbs. Should have been 30 lbs. It is not one we would have diagnosed at the track nor one we could fix even if we had.

Got a sticky problem, see Matt DeMaria.

ARF
1991 Corvette
Need locks don't use H & H Lock Company
Capital One is the pits!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Anodizing should be stable and not result in color shift - mine (Fikse) haven't changed colors and this is their sixth season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPM911 View Post
i have no idea what turns them purple. but all i know is that the two people i know who have black anodized fikse/ccw have had issues with the color changing.

my powder coated cup 2s are still black and so are my painted set of cup 2s.
anodizing is dull gray. any other color or gloss is a coating added after. purple is from non UV stable black dye.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTee View Post
For those interested in the results of Matt's investigation of Andrews fuel cut off problem, he found it and the the problem is one he has not seen. It was the fuel pressure regulator sticking shut intermittently causing the fuel pressure to rise to above 100 lbs. Should have been 30 lbs. It is not one we would have diagnosed at the track nor one we could fix even if we had.

ARF
Thats good news. Did Matt say what might have caused the FPR to stick? Varnish?
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM

OldTee has one HoF thread

Didn't ask.
ARF
1991 Corvette
Need locks don't use H & H Lock Company
Capital One is the pits!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
What run?? 2:24 would have netted you 5th. in this years club race.
Actually, looking at the results, 2:24 would have put me 13th out of 17 (counting me) in E class. But not DFL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
The second best investment I probably made for my driving, first is actually attending DEs, is the data logger.
I've gotten small amounts from the data but need to learn more about how to use it. But the immediate improvement came from the shift lights. I no longer watch the tach, and almost never hit the rev limiter now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ986S View Post
...I spent a lot of time doing DumbAssGene stuff, and visited the "black flag/Steward station" a bit too often. I had a 4-off in my race car on Saturday. And then I got "Meatballed" for smoke, which was due to slight overfilling of the oil. And then the last visit after Sun's spin. Then, while driving my student's car to point out some stuff, I "tested" her brakes into T1, and......discovered she was right! They weren't working so well, and we drove straight off with no harm done, but did have to visit the Steward. We bled the brakes and found some modest improvement, but the new pads (HAWK HP+) later made biggest improvement. Also, on Sun's first session, I'd forgotten to put my Tech sticker on the windshield, and Fred made me unbuckle to get it out of my wallet, whilst everyone else headed onto the track. Should I tell Fred that Sat's sticker was also in my wallet.....
I, too, spent a fair amount of time making nice with the stewards. Tell me I'm wrong, but going off and never getting more than a foot from the track seems to indicate that I'm finding the limits of my car (and tires), but not grossly overestimating. Of course, it also means I'm not recognizing and correcting quickly enough, too (need more time on the skid pad). My Saturday sticker is also still in my wallet - and when they made me pull out Sunday's sticker from my wallet, the mentioned Tony had just done the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTee View Post

ARF
x2

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango