Rejuvenate Mid Ohio - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Rejuvenate Mid Ohio

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Eric S

Hi Dave, we all agree that it is a club business decision; if it does not make sense to hold the MO event then it should be dropped. I certainly appreciate all efforts to retain the event, though the approach taken is also a business decision and I was highlighting an issue and suggesting ideas to increase the probability of success. I hope I'm wrong because MO is a legacy track for Potomac's DE program and for lots of reasons I prefer driving MO with Potomac, but it appears the writing is on the wall.

MO has been a big financial drain on the budget for years and in that sense has been subsidized by the more profitable events; even so, I doubt dropping MO will result in appreciably lowering entry fees for other DE events. Co-sponsoring is good in theory and can work, but the partner at this year's event added very little.

You're right that there are many opportunities to drive any track, and any club can be readily joined to gain access to their dates. But when the dates conflict, those alternate events also have the potential to take instructors and students from other Potomac events. When it comes to track schedules at the club or individual level, there are lots of interconnected moving pieces.

It is not my intention to throw stones, but rather to help. All of my comments are based on direct experience, have been respectfully presented and not directed at any person. Potomac is my home club of over fourteen years and I want it to be successful. From my experience in participating with many regions/clubs, I believe Potomac's DE program is designed and implemented far better than most - especially the emphasis on one student per instructor.
1992 911 C2 Targa
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Eric, I did not take your post that way (throwing stones), but just wanted to indicate the heads of the DE program went through a lot of ideas, etc. before getting to this point. This '80 by Oct' thing is not even a break even, I don't believe. But with the staggering costs of track rentals for a three day weekend why risk losing tens of thousands of dollars?

I know they have tried hard the last couple seasons to partner with other clubs, and had very little success in that bringing in more drivers. I think the people who run the program just can't keep continuing to burn a bunch of their time trying to salvage this. I'm sure they would welcome others from Dorkiland who would like to help find other clubs, etc. Sadly one of the local PCA chapters hosts a DE the weekend before, and another comes in the weekend after.

I know you are well aware of how much time the volunteers spend of organizing things for each season, as you lived it for several years. At some point it's hard to justify the effort if in the end you still lose money on the event.

So if anyone out there really doesn't want to see MO go away, please contact the heads of the DE program and offer to reach out to other car clubs etc. At this point you have a little over 2 months.

As far as the 'no refund' goes, I think they really need to have that policy so 80+ people don't sign up right now, many of whom who may not intend to actually go. With 80+ registrants, they will finalize the arrangements with MO, and be locked in to the $$$$. So if, say, 30 of the 80, bail that would majorly fuch the DE program.

Of course if the 80+ is not reached by October PCAP will cancel the event with MO, and all those who signed up will be okay as no payments will have been made.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:31 PM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
..... So if, say, 30 of the 80, bail that would majorly fuch the DE program......
I recall some discussion during an instructor meeting at the last DE that indicated once the "contract" with MO was signed, the pre-registered folks would be obligated to pay - no casual refunds. I'm guessing if enrollment increased, then some pre-registrations could be cancelled, as long as the Club is receiving payment for at least 80 slots.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Right. Contract gets signed in October. So if 80+, contract gets executed. If less, then even is cancelled and no one has been charged.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM

joep

What about this for the first 80 spots: Make them Transferable

What if the club allowed the first 80 spots paid in full to be transferable by the "ticket holder"? This would go towards allowing early birds a way out while keeping the club's budget for the event in the black.

Terms:
-Transferable spots are NON-REFUNDABLE
-Transfers would be subject to Registrar's final approval
-the transfer must occur by a TBD cut off date before the date of the event
-Original Spot Holder and 3rd party work out their own terms of transfer
-3rd party meets all other PCA/MO requirements to participate
-3rd party must be the equal too or lower run group such that any instructors provided by the club can still serve the purpose
-qualified solo drivers/instructors are acceptable transfers

All other slots above the first 80 are treated normally for purposes of refunds.

Just a thought.
-de-ambered
-Boxster Brey-Krause Roll Bar
'05 - 955s Gold - My Other / On Road / Off Road
-coolant pipe by pass 08/11
-heart & short soul block replaced @50k 01/12
-cardan shafted & replaced @125k 09/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTalon View Post
I could feel my self-esteem rising, even while realizing how incorrect I was
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V View Post
I think I like the purple, it placates my lesbian side.

Last edited by joep; 07-28-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Rephrasing Tony's post, a reasonable compromise would be that if someone were signed up by October and had to cancel 4 weeks or more ahead, partial or complete refunds could be arranged depending on how many people signed up for the event by event date. This might still lose money for the club, but would allow some flexibility for those signing up early (and perhaps more would do so).

Example 1:
80 people sign up by October
10 need to cancel for other commitments (>4 weeks before event)
15 additional people sign up AFTER October (total 85)
Each of the 10 gets 50% credit towards future events.

Example 2:
80 people sign up before October
10 need to cancel for other commitments (>4 weeks before event)
45 additional people sign up AFTER October (total 115)
Each of the 10 gets 100% credit towards future events

Example 3:
80 people sign up before October
0 need to cancel for other commitments (>4 weeks before event)
100 additional people sign up AFTER October (total 180)
Tuffy and Alan are heroes!

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

It's an incredible PITA for the cashier to deal with all those variables. If you want Potomac to keep the event, sign up and show your support. Can't make it between now and then? Tough noogies same as a broken car or a work commitment between now and Porsche fest.

If you want the event vote with your wallet. Technically we've all been doing that for years.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
It's an incredible PITA for the cashier to deal with all those variables. If you want Potomac to keep the event, sign up and show your support. Can't make it between now and then? Tough noogies same as a broken car or a work commitment between now and Porsche fest.

If you want the event vote with your wallet. Technically we've all been doing that for years.
X2, Vag has it right AND mid ohio is an experience worth looking forward to all year!!

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 07-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post

Actually, Steve, it's really not that difficult. A simple spreadsheet would keep track and do all the calculations (I'd be willing to set it up with the appropriate macros). Yes, generating credit might be a bit of work but I love M-O, go just about every year, and certainly want to keep the event, yet that is a LONG way away to commit $700 for Me and Ben, then to have a family wedding or some such come up.

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

N0tt0N starts a derivatives market on MO futures, bundles up those likely to cancel and monetizes them in a Fannie Mae bond deal...

Sweet!

Now I can buy a GT3
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles