Aerial Footage - Summit FATT 06/12/15 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk > Track Videos » Aerial Footage - Summit FATT 06/12/15

Track Videos A place to share and collect various Track Videos.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:00 AM

NineElevenLover
Default Aerial Footage - Summit FATT 06/12/15

Here are three quick videos for you guys, all of which were shot with a DJI Inspire quadcopter. The first video is an investigation of a crash that occurred during the second instructor session; the second vid gives a higher perspective of the property - from 400 ft; and the third video is just some routine action from the "infield" section of Summit Main during the instructor session. Enjoy!!

DON'T FORGET TO WATCH IN 4K IF YOUR COMPOOTER IS CAPABLE!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Good gimbal on that quad. Are you flying LOS or FPV and how did you get the OK to fly at SP?

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:50 AM

Mister C

Nice videos. What a cool perspective.

Great hanging and sharing the track with you yesterday.

1997 E36 M3 Alpine White
1996 993 Coupe Midnight Blue/Grey

Past Rides:
2005 997.1 2S
2001 Audi S4
1989 Ford Probe
Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM

NineElevenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Good gimbal on that quad. Are you flying LOS or FPV and how did you get the OK to fly at SP?
Mostly LOS, with a bit of FPV mixed in. I talked to a couple Summit staff members in a golf cart who said it was fine to fly, but just to stay away from the govt training facility (I think those are the buildings with blue rooves). I didnt get an "official" okay, but I wasn't looking to get any crazy shots and didnt attract much attention to myself, so it was all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
Nice videos. What a cool perspective.

Great hanging and sharing the track with you yesterday.
Thanks Michael. I enjoyed hanging with you, too. Good times!
Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 PM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover View Post
Mostly LOS, with a bit of FPV mixed in. I talked to a couple Summit staff members in a golf cart who said it was fine to fly, but just to stay away from the govt training facility (I think those are the buildings with blue rooves). I didnt get an "official" okay, but I wasn't looking to get any crazy shots and didnt attract much attention to myself, so it was all good.

Thanks Michael. I enjoyed hanging with you, too. Good times!
My understanding is that no UAVs are allowed at any of the tracks Potomac visits.! Had heard that there might be a "school" starting up on the Washington area for Government training on UAVs
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 06-13-2015, 03:24 PM

NineElevenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper Dropper View Post
My understanding is that no UAVs are allowed at any of the tracks Potomac visits.! Had heard that there might be a "school" starting up on the Washington area for Government training on UAVs
Dirk
That's interesting. Please let me know if you have any more specifics on that training class.

As for not being able to fly UAVs at any of the track that Potomac visits, I saw no signs and no one was bothered by my flying, so I'm not that concerned. If someone tells me to stop, I will stop. There is an obvious stigma attached to "drones," at the moment, and the amount of misinformation flying around (ha!) is frustrating. The fact of the matter is that these things are here to stay, and they are very useful tools. Yes, they can be dangerous if used improperly, and I do understand that no one knows how good or bad of an operator I am. Anyone with an open mind and a modicum of intelligence, however, is amazed when they watch me fly any of my quads.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM

mlytle

SCCA bans them at all of their events. it is not about stigma or privacy, it is about safety. safety of the cars on track. last thing i want to see going into turn 1 is uav in my line of sight or buzzing traffic...or crashed on the track.

yes, there are those who would not run a uav like that, but you have to make rules for the dumbass masses who fly these things like toys.
97 M3
Old 06-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Learning to Drive Again

FTS

I think it is pretty cool to take vids this way, closer the better without being LOS of drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover View Post
As for not being able to fly UAVs at any of the track that Potomac visits, I saw no signs and no one was bothered by my flying, so I'm not that concerned. If someone tells me to stop, I will stop. There is an obvious stigma attached to "drones," at the moment, and the amount of misinformation flying around (ha!) is frustrating.
It is not just about the stigma, FAA regulations are that you cannot fly within 5 miles of any airport and have to stay below 400 ft; the Summit Point airport is 3 miles from the track
Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 PM

NineElevenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
SCCA bans them at all of their events. it is not about stigma or privacy, it is about safety. safety of the cars on track. last thing i want to see going into turn 1 is uav in my line of sight or buzzing traffic...or crashed on the track.

yes, there are those who would not run a uav like that, but you have to make rules for the dumbass masses who fly these things like toys.
I totally understand and agree - regarding the concern about random people with unknown skills (ME) flying heavy objects near or above cars that are on the track. This is something I am concerned about, as well, considering I am on the track quite often. That being said, I always try my best to be safe while flying/filming and would have immediately landed my drone if told to do so. I am not looking to cause any problems or safety concerns. Quite the contrary, I'm looking to get stunning video that everyone wants to see, in the safest and least conspicuous manner possible (especially to the drivers).

I'm not one, however, who agrees with sweeping "bans" of a practice or technology, unless it is proven to have no beneficial applications or it is so dangerous that said beneficial applications are rendered a moot point. It's similar to how our federal government (sometimes falsely) classifies illicit substances. I have a problem when something that has good qualities is labeled as entirely bad, without the possibility of ever providing positive contributions to society. I feel that this is how "drones" are being treated right now, and I really hope that mentality will fade.

Instead of a "ban" on drones by the SCCA (which I'm not even sure is enforceable since the property is owned by BSR), I think that they should take the time to enact a safe and SPECIFIC policies regarding drones, especially considering they stand to make some money from the deal. If this requires testing and licensing of drone operators before they are allowed to record aerial video during races (and only under certain sets of rules/guidelines), then I'm totally on board with that. I will take the class and become certified, in the hopes that someday I will be able to provide fellow car lovers with videos that will absolutely blow their mind, in a safe and "invisible" manner (to the drivers on track, at least).

Last edited by NineElevenLover; 06-15-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:58 PM

NineElevenLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I think it is pretty cool to take vids this way, closer the better without being LOS of drivers

It is not just about the stigma, FAA regulations are that you cannot fly within 5 miles of any airport and have to stay below 400 ft; the Summit Point airport is 3 miles from the track
Most of the "rules" (not even laws, yet) are still very nebulous (har!). I could very well be wrong, but I thought the 5 mile rule only applied to major airports, and the summit point airstrip is a tiny airport with a grass runway. Even the "400 ft recommended ceiling" is not a law, specifically relating to drones, at this point. Supposedly the FAA has absolutely no jurisdiction to police class G airspace.

"Class G airspace includes all airspace below FL600, not otherwise classified as controlled. (AIM 3-3-1) There are no entry or clearance requirements for class G airspace, even for IFR operations. Class G airspace is typically the airspace very near the ground (1,200 feet or less), beneath class E airspace and between class B-D cylinders around towered airstrips."

Regardless of all that legal mumbo jumbo, I DO understand the purpose of these guidelines, recommendations, suggestions, or whatever you want to call them... and that is obviously SAFETY. I try to always fly as safely as possible and consider all of the associated risks to people and/or property. I feel as if I am a more responsible drone operator than most, so I am willing to subject myself to a bit of scrutiny during this transitional phase, during which the rules, regulations, and laws are being hashed out.

Last edited by NineElevenLover; 06-15-2015 at 12:09 AM.