Suggestions needed for air compressor air drier/filter/oiler/regulator - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Suggestions needed for air compressor air drier/filter/oiler/regulator

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:35 AM

JmuRiz
Default Suggestions needed for air compressor air drier/filter/oiler/regulator

I've finally gotten my 4-post lift bridge-jacks installed along with a blasting cabinet (that I'm still on the fence about keeping) and my brother just got a 2-post lift.

What are your suggestions for an air compressor air drier/filter/oiler/regulator parts to keep everything happy with clean dry air for the new toys.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Nathan
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 05-31-2021, 04:35 PM

cmartin

Are you painting? I know you're supposed to use them with a cabinet but I havent had any noticeable clumping so...

I dont think its something to overthink, unless you are painting. Something like this at the cabinet, https://www.tptools.com/1and4-Coales....html?b=d*8080
Old 05-31-2021, 08:32 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

A standard regulator and oil separator is a given of oil bath fed compressor systems. How to dry depends on how much air and what you plan to use it for. Standard uses like tools and tire filling straight air is fine for the most part. When using in a glass bead cabinet or for painting I like to add a point of use desiccant filter. Long extended draws of air as with blasting is when you tend to get the most moisture down stream. Most of the time it condenses out in the storage tank. Extended use when hot compressed air goes into the system is when you get wet tools and tire fills. A chilled type air dryer is good to get much of the moisture out but they are expensive in up front costs. They also don’t dry the air as much as a desiccant filter. You can even set them up with a male and female air chuck and move it around to point of use. Put it between the compressor and air hose.
The desiccant is not expensive to dump a d replace when saturated and it can be recharged in an oven ( when the spouse is not home)

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-31-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:14 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

I have a bunch of new IR FRO units in different sizes. Msg me if you are still looking for something.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT