Possible Stereo and Alarm Day... - Page 8 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Possible Stereo and Alarm Day...

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-05-2003, 09:56 PM

87turbolook911
Default .

Yep...need to turn the clock forward 1 hour before you got to bed tonight. Hope to see most of you in the morning!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:05 PM

BW911

Thanks to Vu for putting on the Stereo and Alarm day today at DSI in Laurel. I learned a lot about how all that stuff gets installed and got some good suggestions on how to beef up my sound. It was great seeing some very cool Porsches and, of course, meeting more faces behind the names on this board.

Others can describe what they got installed, but I've got one recommendation here: If you get the chance, by all means ask Vu to show you the audio installation he did in his 911 cab. Not only does it sound fabulous, but he rebuilt the center console to accomodate a subwoofer, under the dash and ahead of the shifter, and recovered it in leather. It looks stock only better than the factory's console and way cooler than some other installations I've seen described on the PP board.
8)

Looking forward now to Hershey.

-- Bill
Old 04-06-2003, 08:08 PM

KeithLambert7

Vu,

Can't thank you guys enough for putting the Stereo/Alarm day together! It was very educational... I now have a healthy respect for the alarm installers who drill, solder, pull wire, and isolate the electronics of our cars.

My alarm works great, and the keyless entry is fantastic. Well worth the time - sorry we ran a little late... When I upgrade my strero and I will be soon, after looking around the showroom, I'll bring it to you guys!!

Nice meeting everyone, and seeing all the great cars!

Keith

'64 356 Coupe - driver
'89 3.2 Coupe - queen

http://www.goosecreekfinishing.com
Old 04-07-2003, 08:30 AM

87turbolook911

It was great to see everyone yesteday! I hope you all enjoyed getting a glimpse of a stereo and alarm installers typical work day. What took us six hours normally takes them 2-3 hours.

The donor cars turned out great! Just ask Dave how much fun he had removing and reinstalling door panels and ask Keith how much sweat equity he put into installing the alarm. Both of them did a admirable job.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Yeah, I think the worst part of installing a new stereo is removing and reinstalling the dang door panels! The rear deck may be a pain as well, but several other 'Dorkis' were kind enough to complete the entire rear speaker repalcement -- plus fabrication of custom grilles -- without any assistance from me. Thanks a lot, guys! The head unit swap looked pretty straight-forward, and the amp install didn't look too bad.

It was great working in DSI's shop, as they had all the necessary wires, connectors, etc. handy, and tools to supplement Vu's toolbox. Having the right tools definitely made the work easier.

I also learned that foam speaker surrounds don't hold up very well after 16 years! There was only about 10 percent of the material left on both of my original front speakers! The new system sounded great on the way home. I need to spend a little bit of time to tweak it, but the improvement over the stock system is pretty tremendous.

An for those of you who need to pull off door panels in the future, make sure you carefully label the power window connectors. The are 5 to 6 connectors on each of the three switches, and the same color wires are used more then once per switch. Live and learn...

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 PM

87turbolook911

Dave,

Hopefuly you didn't have any nightmares with door panels attacking you

Actually ...I think if you hadn't had trouble with the window switch, it all would have been a less daunting task.

Look at it this way.....you came through ok and you've got new sweet sounds in your ride.

By the way, did the Mrs. check the system out?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Freeloader

914guy

Did anyone happen to take any pictures from the install day? I was looking forward to getting out there, but forgot about a family thing I had to do on Sunday morning.

I woul love to see the work you guys did.

~Eric
1978 911sc (gone)
1975 914 (gone)
Old 04-07-2003, 02:16 PM

87turbolook911

I don't think our camera person showed up, and we were so busy doing the install I don't think we got any pics. Maybe Dave will post some after shots.

I'll be taking off my door panels this week to replace the door lock rod. I'll try to take pictures of that process.

Vu
Old 04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Site Admin

Charlie Stylianos has disabled reputation

Sorry Guys,

I think I volunteered to be the camera person. Obviously, I was not able to make it Sunday morning. Other plans came up last minute.

If anyone has pictures of the event or post-install picures, I can create a gallery album. Let me know.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:51 PM

BW911

David, I wish I'd known about your switch problem. I made a little diagram of how the wires go and keep it in my glove box. Like you, I learned the hard way. In my case, a switch went bad.

I'm glad to hear your project ended up well, though. You looked still deep in it when I left. Hope the tunes sound good.

- Bill