EFI conversion experience? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » EFI conversion experience?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Modian
Default EFI conversion experience?

After the engine on my track car decided to give up the ghost not even 15 minutes into the first session last weekend, I may be bringing the 911 into track duty sooner than I expected if I want to do Pitt Race and some other events.

The main issue is I donít trust the Megasquirt tune on it for DE work since itís never been professionally tuned and I donít know that I have ignition and everything set correctly. Also, when the car gets hot, I get stumbling at partial throttle loads at various RPMs. WOT seems fine, though sometimes weaker than others (may be gears. 2nd pulls hard, others not so much). Iím not sure if I have a vacuum leak or electrical interference with the COPs or crank sensor or a tuning issue.

I was going to spend the summer tinkering with it and slowly learning (and converting back to coil pack from COP), but I really want to go to Pitt. Does anyone have experience doing one of these conversions or know a shop that can handle tuning it?

And for future reference, does anyone know of a 3.6 varioram engine for sale, or a car with a 3.6 conversion?

'79 911
'04 M3
'02 M5 (Sold)
'88 951 LS1 (Sold)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:19 PM

ducatithunder

I have efi on my cobra. Its XFI from comp cams. It takes some time to get the hang of it if you want to self tune but def worth it as it will allow you to understand the engine at a whole other level.

I know on the bird there are a few guys who are using MS with great results. Al Kosmal comes to mind. Good dude. Might be worth picking his brain a bit on the subject. Another route would be Rothsport. I know they do alot of EFI swaps and tuning.

Here is Al's website ... https://www.x-faktory.com/about.html

Rothsport .... http://www.rothsport.com/Services/Services.htm

IF your looking to get the power and just want efi sounds like a 3.6 swap w/ chip tune might be an option.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 04-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Modian

I think Iíve read all the MS threads at pelican over the winter. The main issue is Iím running a somewhat unique setup. Most run just fuel, or do a Ford EDIS6 module with a coil pack for ignition. Iím running two EDIS modules wired in parallel controlling coil on plugs. Part of my tinkering this summer was going to be to remove the COPs and put in a coil pack and plug wires. The previous owner claims it did not misfire with that setup and it simplifies things. I may need help fabricating something to hold the coil pack though.

However, just got word from the shop that replacing my engine by Pitt should be doable. So might not be quite the rush on this now.

'79 911
'04 M3
'02 M5 (Sold)
'88 951 LS1 (Sold)
Old 04-10-2018, 04:34 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Modian,

Not intending to troll you but very interested in cause of motor failure. Sorry to here about your mis-fortune.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM

Modian

I uploaded some new spark advance and AFR tables and spent the last two days tuning it around Gainesville and Marshall and the car is purring now. Rock steady idle and 99% of the hesitation and stumbling is gone. Partial throttle feels good and WOT feels great. Pulls much harder than I expected a SC to pull, but it's not a 3.0 with CIS either. Could still use a professional tune once I find someone experienced with these.

Now I can stop futzing around the engine and start working on more weight reduction. It's at 2600 lbs now and I'd like to get it to 23-24. First up is RS door panels and radio delete.

I also think it's ready for some track time. Just need to get a roll bar, seat mounts and sliders, and figure out how to get more camber up front. Thinking Shenandoah for the inaugural run.

'79 911
'04 M3
'02 M5 (Sold)
'88 951 LS1 (Sold)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 PM

reds

Give Kevin @ FlimFlam Speed a call. He's in Richmond, has a bunch of experience tuning road course cars, and knows MS.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
I uploaded some new spark advance and AFR tables and spent the last two days tuning it around Gainesville and Marshall and the car is purring now. Rock steady idle and 99% of the hesitation and stumbling is gone. Partial throttle feels good and WOT feels great. Pulls much harder than I expected a SC to pull, but it's not a 3.0 with CIS either. Could still use a professional tune once I find someone experienced with these.

Now I can stop futzing around the engine and start working on more weight reduction. It's at 2600 lbs now and I'd like to get it to 23-24. First up is RS door panels and radio delete.

I also think it's ready for some track time. Just need to get a roll bar, seat mounts and sliders, and figure out how to get more camber up front. Thinking Shenandoah for the inaugural run.
Sorry to hear about the Morto Moto.

Replace the front and rear bumper and all the hardware that goes with them with FG. Replace wet lead acid battery with smaller lighter format. Removes some weight and from the ends too. AC system comes out if it is still there. Hard to get much more real weight unless you want to loose day to day comfort with stuff like race seats, stripping all the sound matting, sunroof and hardware and HVAC stuff.

Be careful Adding Lightness is a slippery slope
Attached Images

Keepers of the cog. Rule#5#10#43

You Matter.
Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy.

Science, Please.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 04-16-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Modian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Sorry to hear about the Morto Moto.

Replace the front and rear bumper and all the hardware that goes with them with FG. Replace wet lead acid battery with smaller lighter format. Removes some weight and from the ends too. AC system comes out if it is still there. Hard to get much more real weight unless you want to loose day to day comfort with stuff like race seats, stripping all the sound matting, sunroof and hardware and HVAC stuff.

Be careful Adding Lightness is a slippery slope
Battery is a lightweight, and the car is already a slicktop. Bumpers seem like a big win and I almost posted a WTB (preferably 965) but wife would probably throw me out for doing it considering engine replacement cost for the other car.

Race seats and a rollbar are going in (also WTB). I don’t feel comfortable on track with 3 points and it rubs my knees raw holding myself in.

I’m debating air conditioning. I’m waiting to see how the summer goes before I decide if it’s a requirement.

Also debating sound proofing. I’d like to do RS carpet and completely delete the rear seats (already removed uppers) but the car is pretty loud already. Enough that I wear ear plugs on longer drives if the windows are down.

'79 911
'04 M3
'02 M5 (Sold)
'88 951 LS1 (Sold)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

There's a sound-deadening mat under the rear shelf/behind the rear seat (at least in a Carrera, assume also in an SC). That thing weights quite a lot and is worth removing. It lifts right out after you've removed the cargo shelf and rear seat backs (and lifted the carpet).

Vicegrip: "The best way to buy speed in bikes is purchase less food. "

2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2004 Toyota Prius - Back-up DD
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle

Gone and missed:
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 PM

feedftr

Call John Behe In Baltimore. He can tune just about anything. http://rprautomotive.com/

14 Cayman S
98 Boxster (track toy)
15 VW Tuareg TDI (tow toy)
737-800

gone to a better home:
01 BMW 330Ci
01 Ducati M900 Monster
95 Nissan Pathfinder
93 RX7
91 Miata
77 MGB
FA/18C