Potomac PCA Number Assignment - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Potomac PCA Number Assignment

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread
Default Potomac PCA Number Assignment

I am doing the HPDC event on April 18. When I registered, it asked me for a number so I picked one and got it. Would that be my number for other events? I saw another car at SP with the same number last week, might they be from another region?

Also, seperate question, can someone tell me why Potomac is also called "Founder's Region"?
Thanks, guys!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 AM

DonNewton

Your number can be changed at will. Every time you register, you will be asked to input a number. . .

Founder's region because Potomac was the "founder" of PCA.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:54 AM

APKhaos

Steve,
Potomac does not issue 'permanent' numbers for HPDC. A unique number for the day that you are registered is the only test.

When it comes to DE, some numbers [but not all] are assigned to specific cars, but the ultimate test is a unique number for a given event. Bob Novas may give you a more definitive and official answer, but you get the idea, right?

FWIW, this is also true for PCA Club race - Numbers as accepted on a first come, first served basis as registrations are recieved for a given race. The host Region may choose to'protect' numbers for its own members at their own race, but no guarantees beyond that.

Also FWIW, the number I settled on for my 911 DE car [999] was never challenged. Pick a six digit number to be really safe

Potomac is the Founders Region because the PCA was founded here. The club has the original PCA constitution framed and protected in our vault. We are the rock on which this organization was built, and you are part of that history.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 03-25-2004, 04:21 PM

Don Wohlfarth

There's a good chance there will be several cars that are the same model and color on the track at the same time. You need a number on your car to make it unique when on the track. Makes it easier to find a white #999 or white 911.
It really doesn't matter what the number is as long as you are the only one in a run group with that number.
Suggest you pick a 2 or 3 digit number. The number should be on the front and both sides. Really bad drivers may want to put the number on the bottom of the car but that's another story.
The number "should be" 6 inches tall to make it easy for corner workers to read when the car is at speed. If you choose 6 digits or more you will spend most of your time trying to look around the numbers on your windshield than where you are going.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Freeloader

CrewChief

When I took the job from Jim he hated numbers. Marilyn Hickson told me the numbers were a pain. I hated the numbers. Dave Derecola hated the numbers when he had the job. Art hated the numbers. And now, I think, (actually, I know) Bob Novas hates the numbers!

Trying to not duplicate numbers is the one single most dreaded awful hateful task for the registrar.

Numbers occasion more whining, crying, knashing of teeth and all around juvenile behavior than any other part of DE.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

"The club has the original PCA constitution framed and protected in our vault."
This high security vault was Paul Wesson's basement for years then mine for 6 months or so until Tom Trew pried it from my fingers.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 PM

APKhaos

Tom's basement is doubtless temp and humidity controlled, and I can just see him down there waiting for Katherine Zeta Jones to slide through the laser beam matrix. MMMMmmmmmm.
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Old 03-26-2004, 04:15 PM

BobNovas

Bob Novas invented a system that would have solved the problem with numbers, but it caused such an uproar, that now Bob simply assigns the numbers and doesn't listen to any whining that ensues.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:37 PM

DonNewton

Man, you gotta love that royal reference! :P
Old 03-26-2004, 05:28 PM

Don Wohlfarth

Bob, you are the MAN.
I mistakenly thought the problem drivers faced was getting into the event but it looks like they'll only agree if they can have number XXX.
May be the easiest way to handle a disgruntled driver is to tell him you're sorry things didn't work out and go to the next driver in line.