Audi (and possible others) Speaker Issue - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Audi (and possible others) Speaker Issue

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:33 AM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch
Default Audi (and possible others) Speaker Issue

So the "High-End" B&O sound system in the SQ5 started sounding like crap with little bass and a really thin sound. So after some trouble shooting with the OBD11 sound system test it was determined that I had open circuits on the left and right 4 mid bass speakers located in the doors. All of the other 14 speakers were fine. After removing the door panels and accessing the speaker to start tracing back to the amp it was determined that the speakers were open at the connector plug. Removing the speaker you can see that there is a plastic holder arm for the Litz wire that I assume is meant to keep the wire from contacting the cone and creating a buzz. When I tested the litz wire at the cone, the voice coil was intact. It turns out the litz wire breaks at the underside of the spot where the wire is epoxied to the arm. Since I don't have any litz wire handy, my solution was to solder a small piece of solder wick bridging the break.
Back in business for $0 spent on replacement speakers.

Just thought I'd share in case any others have this issue.
Attached Images

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.

Last edited by TurboPooch; 04-30-2024 at 12:02 AM.