My "new" E46 (1999 328i) - Page 5 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » My "new" E46 (1999 328i)

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 AM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Jazzbass,

I have a set of 330 calipers I took off my 330 ZHP - If you want them you can have them. I have no idea if they are any better than the ones up have however. Let me know.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
Jazzbass,

I have a set of 330 calipers I took off my 330 ZHP - If you want them you can have them. I have no idea if they are any better than the ones up have however. Let me know.
Hmmm... that might be a solution. What year/body type is the 330? I'll check RealOEM to see if they are the same caliper. Thanks!
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 PM

Hey Chris, It looks like I have a complete set of front and back loaded with HAWK HPS pads - at least on the front and the rear pads are near new. The rears maybe Hawk DTC -60s as I ran them on the track one year. They are from a 2004 330i Sedan with the ZHP option. I do not think the ZHP drove any changes to the brakes. The car is also a manual if that matters. I can not vouch for the condition of the pistons but the price is right if you want them. Need to clean out junk and otherwise they go in my metal recycle pile.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM

Oh and the stock break lines are still attached.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:10 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

So here's the car as it sits today. Drove it about 30 miles and it was mostly good. Mostly*. Check out my cool E90 wheels, courtesy of our very own PCA executive director and fellow crappy E46 owner.

Name:  xIMG_1771.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  136.5 KB

While I was waiting on parts to sort out the rusty brake piston problem, I tackled some cosmetic stuff. First, the grilles were loose. Super common problem - the plastic clips age, become brittle and break off. The grilles then rattle around in the hood. The proper solution is to buy new grilles, $60 each from BMW. But this is a 220k mile 17 yr old BMW for a 16 yr old kid, so it gets the improper solution - a $3 tube of black silicone RTV and it's fixed. Yeah, I feel a little dirty about this, but not that much.

Name:  xIMG_1731.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  101.1 KB

Next, the Homelink Garage Door opener. This car didn't come with one. It was a several hundred dollar option at the time. This is one of the things I love about old BMWs - expensive add on features can be bought for almost nothing on eBay. This transmitter is actually from a newer car so it compatible with my opener. I paid $20 shipped from eBay. It snapped right in to the panel, plugged into the wiring harness and *voila* like it came from the factory.

Name:  xIMG_1733.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  92.3 KB

Anyone who owns a BMW should recognize what I'm doing here:

Name:  xIMG_1736.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  171.0 KB

Ah, BMW and their craptastic window regulators. My E90 has had both rear ones replaced, and this car needed 3 of 4. I'm guessing that the only reason that it didn't need 4 of 4 is because the only one I didn't replace, the driver's, had already been done.

Name:  xIMG_1739.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  116.7 KB

Cool thing about changing the window regulators? You get to see how many dead stinkbugs you can find stuck to the butyl tape of the vapor barrier. I think I got 20 or so over the course of three doors.

Name:  xIMG_1735.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  141.7 KB

New windshield installed. Finally resolved the screw-up around the Chinese windshield. They came back the next day with a German made Sekurit. Everything is installed and the rain sensor is even working properly. I had to replace the cowling at the bottom of the windshield as well, as the old one just fell apart when you touched it.

Name:  xIMG_1770.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  95.0 KB

Finally, the stereo sounds like absolute crap. A little bass, but not much. Problem number 1 - the woofer in the driver's door is not working. I need to pull the door panel and look into that. I'm guessing that when they replaced the driver's door window regulator, they forgot to reconnect. Problem two, no bass when the fader in in the rear. I wonder if the speakers are blown? Let's see...

Name:  xIMG_1772.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  147.4 KB

Looks like someone couldn't bear to part with their bitchin' set of Kenwoods, so they pulled them . It certainly explains the lack of bass. Funny when I think of the number of 5 1/4" speakers I've tossed over the years simply due to no space to store them. This is why I tell my wife I need to save shit. "I can't throw away this set of JBL Power Pros from 1991! I might buy a crappy E46 one day that has had it's rear speakers removed - and then what? I'll be ready is what".

* Mostly. Turns out there are TWO boots between the MAF and the throttle body. I replaced the upper boot that was torn. The lower boot is torn as well - just discovered that tonight after the CEL came back on.
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Make sure the vapor barrier is well secured. Even put some more glue at the bottom. When it's warm, lay a hose on the roof and check your work to make sure no water is getting inside.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:58 AM

87turbolook911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
So here's the car as it sits today. Drove it about 30 miles and it was mostly good. Mostly*. Check out my cool E90 wheels, courtesy of our very own PCA executive director and fellow crappy E46 owner.

Attachment 49756

While I was waiting on parts to sort out the rusty brake piston problem, I tackled some cosmetic stuff. First, the grilles were loose. Super common problem - the plastic clips age, become brittle and break off. The grilles then rattle around in the hood. The proper solution is to buy new grilles, $60 each from BMW. But this is a 220k mile 17 yr old BMW for a 16 yr old kid, so it gets the improper solution - a $3 tube of black silicone RTV and it's fixed. Yeah, I feel a little dirty about this, but not that much.

Attachment 49757

Next, the Homelink Garage Door opener. This car didn't come with one. It was a several hundred dollar option at the time. This is one of the things I love about old BMWs - expensive add on features can be bought for almost nothing on eBay. This transmitter is actually from a newer car so it compatible with my opener. I paid $20 shipped from eBay. It snapped right in to the panel, plugged into the wiring harness and *voila* like it came from the factory.

Attachment 49758

Anyone who owns a BMW should recognize what I'm doing here:

Attachment 49759

Ah, BMW and their craptastic window regulators. My E90 has had both rear ones replaced, and this car needed 3 of 4. I'm guessing that the only reason that it didn't need 4 of 4 is because the only one I didn't replace, the driver's, had already been done.

Attachment 49760

Cool thing about changing the window regulators? You get to see how many dead stinkbugs you can find stuck to the butyl tape of the vapor barrier. I think I got 20 or so over the course of three doors.

Attachment 49762

New windshield installed. Finally resolved the screw-up around the Chinese windshield. They came back the next day with a German made Sekurit. Everything is installed and the rain sensor is even working properly. I had to replace the cowling at the bottom of the windshield as well, as the old one just fell apart when you touched it.

Attachment 49761

Finally, the stereo sounds like absolute crap. A little bass, but not much. Problem number 1 - the woofer in the driver's door is not working. I need to pull the door panel and look into that. I'm guessing that when they replaced the driver's door window regulator, they forgot to reconnect. Problem two, no bass when the fader in in the rear. I wonder if the speakers are blown? Let's see...

Attachment 49763

Looks like someone couldn't bear to part with their bitchin' set of Kenwoods, so they pulled them . It certainly explains the lack of bass. Funny when I think of the number of 5 1/4" speakers I've tossed over the years simply due to no space to store them. This is why I tell my wife I need to save shit. "I can't throw away this set of JBL Power Pros from 1991! I might buy a crappy E46 one day that has had it's rear speakers removed - and then what? I'll be ready is what".

* Mostly. Turns out there are TWO boots between the MAF and the throttle body. I replaced the upper boot that was torn. The lower boot is torn as well - just discovered that tonight after the CEL came back on.

Looking good Jazzy!
Old 01-15-2016, 10:02 AM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
Can't see JazzBass w/o Bass!

And nice work, as usual!
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM

cmartin

good work jazz, looks better than anything at my house
Old 01-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Make sure the vapor barrier is well secured. Even put some more glue at the bottom. When it's warm, lay a hose on the roof and check your work to make sure no water is getting inside.
That's a very good point - thanks Steve.
1999 E46 328i