RIP: Paul Walker - Page 6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » RIP: Paul Walker

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Was this a professional race driver or a really good amateur/club race driver? I understand he was a wealth manager as his day job.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:50 AM

blipshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscope View Post
One things for sure, Porsche’s reputation is really taking a bad rap if a professional racing driver can’t handle their cars at 45mph! I’m sure all this media coverage is going to have a serious effect on their sales over the next quarter. Regardless of the fact that the CGT is the car that is difficult to handle, ALL of Porsche’s cars are going to be seen as death traps in the eyes of the public.
Even if it's determined that the accident was a mechanical failure I seriously doubt this incident will have any bearing on Porsche's bottom-line over the next 24hrs let alone quarter.

I'm interested to hear what the final investigation reveals. Regardless, sad news.

Current
2019 C7 GS
2019 Mk7 eGolf
1984 944

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Lifer

jbailey930

TV in our break room is running CNN. They were at a repair shop and discussing the "safety" of GTs.......
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 12-03-2013, 11:00 AM

blipshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
Was this a professional race driver or a really good amateur/club race driver? I understand he was a wealth manager as his day job.
Can the lesser pro's CR?
Can the best CR's go pro?

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=31446
http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=31437

Current
2019 C7 GS
2019 Mk7 eGolf
1984 944

Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drscope View Post
... the car exploded and both men inside were trapped and burned to death beyond recognition.
There you go then! It's simply an elaborate (and expensive) ruse to allow an early retirement! He's prolly living the simple life in Minnesota with Elvis as we speak.

I feel sorry for the homeless guy that played his body double in this gag! Save money by not paying till the stunt is in the can

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Pro DE driver

good hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey930 View Post
TV in our break room is running CNN. They were at a repair shop and discussing the "safety" of GTs.......
Maybe they will find that CGT's are death traps, the price will plummet, and we will be able to scoop one up for less than the price of a new Boxster....

2014 GTB1 World Champion
8 Time National DE champion

88 911 Cup
13 Boxster S
1969 Saab Sonett
2005 Cayenne
2013 Cayenne
2014 F150
Hurricane race trailer with A/C
05 Cup car
02 Koni 996
Old 12-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Shock Whisperer

ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread

I find it very hard to believe 45mph would cause damage like that. You know an accident is bad when the only recognizable feature is a single wheel.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Drscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post
I find it very hard to believe 45mph would cause damage like that. You know an accident is bad when the only recognizable feature is a single wheel.
Actually you could identify 2 wheels and the front hood.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 PM

pookie

I've refrained from commenting because I hate second guessing or Monday morning QBing someone elses actions. I've done stupid stuff in cars as I think most of us have. The questions I have are:

Do you guys think if the internet had been around when James Dean had his accident in the 550 everyone would be calling for a ban of Porsche vehicles? Or even all this hostility towards the vehicle and the actor?

Also some are saying this will hurt Porsche sales, maybe not here but on other boards, wouldn't this call for more people to be interested in Porsche? I tend to think of the 930s and how everyone thought they were cars that would just jump up and kill you. But they still sold a lot of them. And the first 930s put out 300-320 HP? We have Mustang V6, the cheapest one you can buy, putting out 305 HP now. What's the new Corvette put out 600 HP? To say the CGT was super dangerous due to the amount of HP it put out is kinda lame.

1976 911S Targa 3.2 swap
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
To say the CGT was super dangerous due to the amount of HP it put out is kinda lame.
Until the investigation is complete, there's nothing to write about. When you have 24hrs of news time to fill and a web site to keep updated, this is a problem. So you make shit up like "OMFG the Porsche Carrera GT is the most dangerous car ever!!!"

According to Ralph Nader, old air cooled 911s used to be "the most dangerous car ever" and I've driven one for 10 years without it killing me. Most people will never even see a CGT in person, let alone drive one, so they're easy targets. You can write pretty much whatever sensationalist bullshit you want and no one can call you on it. Need that article in to your editor by noon? Just take some quotes from race car drivers out of context ("its a very difficult car to drive" = "its a very difficult car to drive as fast as it can possibly go on a race track") to make the average person think that if they just drive one of these down the road at 35 mph that they'll crash, and voila! You're done and can go kill your liver some more.

In next week's lesson on lazy journalism, we'll discuss ways to confuse "semiautomatic" and "automatic" weapons so that the average person thinks that its totally legal to buy full auto assault rifles in the US, even though that's been illegal since 1934.
1999 E46 328i