Buying an E46 M3 -- school me on what to look for - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » Buying an E46 M3 -- school me on what to look for

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:59 PM

magnetic1

I have Turner on racecar, Bimmerworld on street car. No real difference.
EX-#121 IP/GTS3 BMW E36 M3
HERE-#121 GTS3/4 BMW E46 M3
http://www.Salazar-Racing.com
http://www.brakeswap.com
PM me parts/brake requests and orders. I will donate a portion of order to DorkiBoard!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:41 PM
Shock Whisperer

ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread

Well, we bought one! Picked her up yesterday. 2006 model, Carbon Black paint with black interior. 75k miles -- higher than I was looking for but this was the nicest example I could find, irrespective of mileage.

Really, really nice car. Had a reputable BMW/Audi shop near Harrisburg do the PPI and they were very complimentary. Of course no real issues.

Question about rod bearings. There's a local shop (Autoscandia) who I've had great service from for our E46 in the past. Their primary BMW guy used to be the service manager at a local BMW dealer for a while.

Anyway, in chatting with him about rod bearings he mentioned that the recall/TSB that was issued for rod bearings was only for the early E46 M3's, and they definitely used the new (better) bearings on the 2006 models. While he would obviously be willing to do the bearings, in the six years he has been in charge of the BMWs at Autoscandia he's only done one set -- and this was at the customer's request, and the old bearings were perfectly fine when removed.

Anyway, curious about everyone's perspectives. Was the issue truly solved for the late M3s? What does everyone think about getting Blackstone oil analysis -- by the time a problem shows up in the oil, will this give me enough lead time to replace the bearings? Not familiar enough with these cars to know if oil analysis is a good way to keep tabs on these cars (like it is for the early Porsches, for example).

$1200-1400 is enough of a premium that I'd rather keep it in my pocket if I can help it....

'86 951: lucky number 13...rare 6.0L edition.
'06 M3: hers.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Congratulations! You are almost out of Porsche altogether!
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 PM

magnetic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post

Anyway, in chatting with him about rod bearings he mentioned that the recall/TSB that was issued for rod bearings was only for the early E46 M3's, and they definitely used the new (better) bearings on the 2006 models. While he would obviously be willing to do the bearings, in the six years he has been in charge of the BMWs at Autoscandia he's only done one set -- and this was at the customer's request, and the old bearings were perfectly fine when removed.

Anyway, curious about everyone's perspectives. Was the issue truly solved for the late M3s? What does everyone think about getting Blackstone oil analysis -- by the time a problem shows up in the oil, will this give me enough lead time to replace the bearings? Not familiar enough with these cars to know if oil analysis is a good way to keep tabs on these cars (like it is for the early Porsches, for example).

$1200-1400 is enough of a premium that I'd rather keep it in my pocket if I can help it....
Congrats.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I already commented and told you about the recall/TSB, how this is an issue across ALL S54s regardless of age or miles. I have done roughly 10 rod bearing jobs (cant count exactly caus Im getting old and my memory is fading) across all years from as little as 60k miles showing copper to as high as 200k showing less copper than the 60k ones and from 2001-2005. Not going to comment anymore on that. (Have pics all over Facebook too).

Oil analysis will help but intervals are 7500 miles or so and a lot can happen inbetween.

The problem w/ the S54 is a combo of narrow bearings and high RPM limit/power of the motor.
PM me parts/brake requests and orders. I will donate a portion of order to DorkiBoard!
Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Collin, Congrats!!!!!!!

I have an early one which was done under recall. I will be doing mine soon using the ECS Kit ($550) before I track it but for now I am bringing it up to a good DD Spec. The shop I use was much more concerned about the VANOS stuff - mine has 135k miles. I think there is too many variables for me to give advice here and defer to the experts.

I have read of using oil analysis to track these issues.

It is interesting to note (based on my limited research) that cause of this issue was traced to a "bad" lot of bearings which were replaced in the recall. BMW also reduced the rev limit from 8300 (I think) to 7800 (I think) and changed the oil reco from 10-40 to the 10-60. I really wonder if the problem was the rev limit and not the "bad" bearing but I do not plan on rasing the rev limit back to 8300 (with after-market SW) any time soon. Those numbers may not be exactly right but they are close.

Another Note: I did a good look at the sub-frame and it is not cracked and I will leave it alone for now. I have seen pics of massively cracked sub-frame on drift cars and cars that were street raced so that type of use clearly accelerates that problem.

Did you get a Vert?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 PM

magnetic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post

It is interesting to note (based on my limited research) that cause of this issue was traced to a "bad" lot of bearings which were replaced in the recall. BMW also reduced the rev limit from 8300 (I think) to 7800 (I think) and changed the oil reco from 10-40 to the 10-60. I really wonder if the problem was the rev limit and not the "bad" bearing but I do not plan on rasing the rev limit back to 8300 (with after-market SW) any time soon. Those numbers may not be exactly right but they are close.
Just a scapegoat for BMW. Problem is the narrow bearings and high RPM/power.

The heavier oil is a band-aid.

rev limit was never changed but was lower on the non E46 M3 models (MCoupe, etc)
Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Congrats, Collin. It's still one of the cars I'm considering as a DD/DE car (I'm going to try to just use the Miata/Prius pair until next year if I can). Keep us up to date on it! I may pick your brain up at the track.

2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)
Old 04-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Shock Whisperer

ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
Congrats.

Not to sound like a broken record, but I already commented and told you about the recall/TSB, how this is an issue across ALL S54s regardless of age or miles. I have done roughly 10 rod bearing jobs (cant count exactly caus Im getting old and my memory is fading) across all years from as little as 60k miles showing copper to as high as 200k showing less copper than the 60k ones and from 2001-2005. Not going to comment anymore on that. (Have pics all over Facebook too).

Oil analysis will help but intervals are 7500 miles or so and a lot can happen inbetween.

The problem w/ the S54 is a combo of narrow bearings and high RPM limit/power of the motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
Just a scapegoat for BMW. Problem is the narrow bearings and high RPM/power.

The heavier oil is a band-aid.

rev limit was never changed but was lower on the non E46 M3 models (MCoupe, etc)
Thanks for the reiteration. I must've misunderstood you (or wasn't listening? ) because I didn't fully recognize the actual scope of the TSB/recall. It's not too often that a high end shop tells recommends against doing something (though that's one of the reasons I like them) so I thought I'd keep beating the dead horse by asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
Another Note: I did a good look at the sub-frame and it is not cracked and I will leave it alone for now. I have seen pics of massively cracked sub-frame on drift cars and cars that were street raced so that type of use clearly accelerates that problem.

Did you get a Vert?

Yeah, I'm excited that we have no evidence of cracking around the subframe whatsoever. Very pleased. I'll definitely be doing the reinforcement kit, but not sure if it'll be done immediately considering the need to drop everything back there.

Oh yes, we bought a convertible (flame suit on). Thought about buying another Boxster and keeping Anisa's 325 but I still have PTSD from the Boxster and Anisa's 325 is over 100k miles (owned since new) so it's probably time.

Plus, I think the M3 convertible looks really sharp. I said to Vranko yesterday it admittedly does look a little frat guy but eh. Everyone looks dorky in a convertible.

'86 951: lucky number 13...rare 6.0L edition.
'06 M3: hers.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:17 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

"Everyone looks dorky in a convertible." If this is in reference to guys driving M3 Verts I may be with you however when it is a female driving a M3 Vert "Dorky" is NOT the term that comes to mind.

I was going to give you crap about not posting pics of your car until I remembered that I have not post any of mine.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:42 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Collin, do the bearings. As an engineer to engineer: bmw undersizes their bearings (for efficiency I can only guess.) I've never even owned a E30 M3 and it started there. Out of the 4 in our group, 2 developed rod knock and the third was trashed when we checked. (oddly the high mileage track car was the one that didn't blow up.) Two of those got fixed in my garage. We've swapped E36 & E46 M3 bearings there too. BMW just seems to use higher loading and expect it will be out of warranty by the time it eats itself. Their less than stellar oil pump performance in prior cars exacerbate the situation. Seems like they at least got that part right by the E46. From what I've seen its worse than the porsche 996/997 IMS Achilles heel.

I've seen Eric do it countless times in a driveway. You can do it yourself. (or pay Eric to do it for less.)
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT