BMW 325xi - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygomatic View Post
Very, very true.

If your son/daughter has that happen, gently remind them that they can always sit through a light or wait a little longer at the stop sign and make that super-important person wait a bit more.
There's the issue. While we all want to do that when somebody gets behind us like that, I don't think you want to teach your new-driver child to play games with a car.

2009 911 C2S Coupe "The Green Car"
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander (wife's DD and my new tow vehicle
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango - sold to a Dorki
2003 Acura MDX - Just shy of 200K
86 Black 911 Coupe race car (owned 2010-2016)
86 Gold 911 Targa (owned 1998-2012)
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa (owned 1986-7)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Building a Worm Hole.....

HoodPin

Congrats on the get Karl!

FWIW, consider making some magnetic "STUDENT DRIVER" signs to put on the car during training sessions. I find that info to be very helpful & calming whenever I see it.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 1989 944S2
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (the wife's)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 1979 RX7 enduro
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)

Gone but not forgotten
- 1986 944 (under new mgmt)
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel." - The Doors
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 PM

zygomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
There's the issue. While we all want to do that when somebody gets behind us like that, I don't think you want to teach your new-driver child to play games with a car.
I'm not sure I'd call the suggestion a game -- that's not quite what I meant. If the new driver is flustered and/or nervous, they should wait. Mr or Mrs Superimportant can go around if they like.

Part of the problem with new drivers being bullied is that they forget they don't HAVE to go if they aren't ready. Pulling out into traffic is always optional. Going faster is a decision that is theirs to make. Letting someone make you go before you're ready (or feel capable of going) is forever a bad decision.

Playing games with the car is telling your kid to put the car in reverse and edge toward the person honking at them. Or waiting 'til the light turns yellow and flooring it through the intersection.

Mostly, if your kid shows the sort of restraint where they can calmly collect themselves at a light and drive without panicking, they're WAY ahead of where I was at 16.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Colorado's finest

Quote:
Very, very true.

If your son/daughter has that happen, gently remind them that they can always sit through a light or wait a little longer at the stop sign and make that super-important person wait a bit more.
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd call the suggestion a game -- that's not quite what I meant. If the new driver is flustered and/or nervous, they should wait. Mr or Mrs Superimportant can go around if they like.

Part of the problem with new drivers being bullied is that they forget they don't HAVE to go if they aren't ready. Pulling out into traffic is always optional. Going faster is a decision that is theirs to make. Letting someone make you go before you're ready (or feel capable of going) is forever a bad decision.

Playing games with the car is telling your kid to put the car in reverse and edge toward the person honking at them. Or waiting 'til the light turns yellow and flooring it through the intersection.

Mostly, if your kid shows the sort of restraint where they can calmly collect themselves at a light and drive without panicking, they're WAY ahead of where I was at 16.
What you're saying the second time is on the money, but that's not what you said before. Waiting longer at a light is not "calmly collecting themselves"--you suggested making the person behind "wait a bit more" implying doing it on purpose. Not the same, and the first suggestion would be seen by most as playing games.

2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
What you're saying the second time is on the money, but that's not what you said before. Waiting longer at a light is not "calmly collecting themselves"--you suggested making the person behind "wait a bit more" implying doing it on purpose. Not the same, and the first suggestion would be seen by most as playing games.
Hence the clarification.
1999 E46 328i
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM

turbohugh

Quote:

Well said, game or not, if you're pressured into a bad decision, you own the consequences ..

Current : E36 328 Vert [NO its not an M3 ]
Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 PM

zygomatic

Quote:
I could have phrased it better the first time, no question. This is why i don't make my living writing!

Last edited by zygomatic; 05-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Colorado's finest

Quote:
I could have phrased it better the first time, no question. This is why i don't make my living writing!
I could have phrased mine a little nicer, too...

2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 AM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Nice get Karl.

I bought my first BMW an E30 1990 325Ix 5M in 1993 with 26k miles on it. Still have it with 225k. Great car that has taken me through all kinds of blizzards in Montreal, Pennsylvan-er, VT, ME, etc...

Was very good in the snow but not as good in the DEEP stuff (6" +) like my '84 Cj-7 jeep or '87 Ford Bronco XLT.

DIY maintenance is easy and relatively cheap.

I 2nd checking out e46fanatics.com

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
While we all want to do that when somebody gets behind us like that, I don't think you want to teach your new-driver child to play games with a car.
x2! and if you do teach your kids to play games with vehicles, make sure they understand that the guy with the big truck usually wins. i have found i can pull out quickly in front of people when i'm driving my F350 dually and they always slow to avoid me and let me in. i had a client once who took it to another level: some jerk behind him was giving him a hard time, so he put his truck into reverse backed up and smashed into the front of the guy's car, then told the cops and insurance that the guy in back had rear-ended him. but these are games for adults, not kids.