BMW 325xi - Page 3 - Dorkiphus.net

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM
John Clay's Avatar
John Clay John Clay is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 2,349
John Clay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951 View Post
Prior to the BMW I drove a '98 Passat (FWD) and a '95 4Runner. Guaranteed, the Bimmer (and possibly the Passat) are fantastically better in the snow than that 4x4 4Runner.
I've driven a 92 Toyota PU (should be similar to the 4Runner) and a 96 328is in the snow. Only had all season "truck" tires on the PU - never on dedicated winters. Have experienced snow with summers, all-seasons, and winters on the 328. My experience is polar opposite of yours.
__________________
John Clay
2011 Cayman
1986 944 "Traffic Cone"
2013 Scion FR-S
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
VaSteve's Avatar
VaSteve VaSteve is offline
Essential Personnel
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Western Prince William County
Posts: 13,782
VaSteve has one HoF thread
Default

It rarely snows around here or so it seems. My XI was fantastic in fantastic in the snow. I wouldn't put a teenage boy in a RWD vehicle. All of us here were once teenage boys. Nuff said.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
ausgeflippt951's Avatar
ausgeflippt951 ausgeflippt951 is offline
Shock Whisperer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,261
ausgeflippt951 has one HoF thread
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
I've driven a 92 Toyota PU (should be similar to the 4Runner) and a 96 328is in the snow. Only had all season "truck" tires on the PU - never on dedicated winters. Have experienced snow with summers, all-seasons, and winters on the 328. My experience is polar opposite of yours.
From my experience, the 4Runner was excellent when lumbering along at 15 mph. In the thick stuff, it would go through damn near anything when thrown into 4L.

But get it to highway speeds and the cars are unstable in dry weather...add snowfall and you're taking your life into your hands. In the interests of full disclosure, my 4Runner was a tired, high-mileage beast.



I can see the argument that you don't want to give a 16 y/o a RWD car though.
__________________
Collin M.
I wear a cowboy hat.

'86 951: lucky number 13...rare 6.0L edition.
'06 M3: hers.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 PM
94teener's Avatar
94teener 94teener is offline
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Silver Spring, Md.
Posts: 485
94teener has one HoF thread
Default

I have found with new drivers, there most likely WILL be body damage. If one is prepared for that, then one can purchase what one thinks is best for the situation.
__________________
Mike S.
'70 914/6 9140431751
'70 914 4702911851 2.4 Six Conversion, track car

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Patrick3000's Avatar
Patrick3000 Patrick3000 is offline
I need another Porsche
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bethesda
Posts: 2,446
Patrick3000
Default

We picked this car up a week ago Monday and much to my surprise Nancy really likes the car, almost as much as the boy. He received his instructional permit from the state of Maryland so if you see this thing on the road I would recommend that you leave some of extra room he will definitely need it

The car itself is in nice shape with a few minor issues, one or two sensors need to be replaced that’s about it.
__________________
Karl

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth” Mike Tyson

18 GT3T -
11 997 C2S - Aerokit Cup
19 Beetle Conv - Hers
13 S60 T5

Sold - 14 911-50, 79 911SC, 97 M3, 74 914/6, 11 997.2 C2S, 88 944, 16 GT4, 13 Boxster, 1973 914/4 2.0, 1980 911SC ROW w/3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 71 914/4 2.4, 76 912E, 89 944S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 Boxster, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914 - 06 M3, 95 M3, 98 328is, 95 530i, 95 328is
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Jazzbass's Avatar
Jazzbass Jazzbass is offline
Site Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 11,756
Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads
Default

You know those "rookie driver" stickers you see occasionally? Get one. I never understood their need until I started teaching a 16 yr old to drive. People are f**king assholes. Sit at a stop sign 5 sec too long because he's new and takes time to look both ways? Horn, finger from the guy behind. Drive exactly the speed limit down a road? Get cut off. People suck.
__________________
Chris M
1985 911 Carrera with a couple cosmetic only mods
2006 E90 330i
1999 E46 328i
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM
John Clay's Avatar
John Clay John Clay is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Damascus, MD
Posts: 2,349
John Clay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
You know those "rookie driver" stickers you see occasionally? Get one. I never understood their need until I started teaching a 16 yr old to drive. People are f**king assholes. Sit at a stop sign 5 sec too long because he's new and takes time to look both ways? Horn, finger from the guy behind. Drive exactly the speed limit down a road? Get cut off. People suck.
I'm more easy going than most on the roads, but I've gotten even more patient with others since "instructing" my 16 year old. Especially when I can see it's a young person droving.
__________________
John Clay
2011 Cayman
1986 944 "Traffic Cone"
2013 Scion FR-S
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Potomac-Greg's Avatar
Potomac-Greg Potomac-Greg is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockville MD
Posts: 3,360
Potomac-Greg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clay View Post
I'm more easy going than most on the roads, but I've gotten even more patient with others since "instructing" my 16 year old. Especially when I can see it's a young person droving.
I'm in the same boat. 16 y/o daughter who drives very well, but gets tailgated and harassed.
__________________
Greg
Rockville MD
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM
zygomatic zygomatic is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 116
zygomatic
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass View Post
You know those "rookie driver" stickers you see occasionally? Get one. I never understood their need until I started teaching a 16 yr old to drive. People are f**king assholes. Sit at a stop sign 5 sec too long because he's new and takes time to look both ways? Horn, finger from the guy behind. Drive exactly the speed limit down a road? Get cut off. People suck.

Very, very true.

If your son/daughter has that happen, gently remind them that they can always sit through a light or wait a little longer at the stop sign and make that super-important person wait a bit more.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM
APKhaos's Avatar
APKhaos APKhaos is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,715
APKhaos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
We picked this car up a week ago Monday and much to my surprise Nancy really likes the car, almost as much as the boy. He received his instructional permit from the state of Maryland so if you see this thing on the road I would recommend that you leave some of extra room he will definitely need it

The car itself is in nice shape with a few minor issues, one or two sensors need to be replaced that’s about it.
Check out e46fanatics.com Its a great resource. Been really helpful with my son's 328i
__________________
Tony K
PCA Potomac, Rennlist Member
89 944 Turbo
85 Carrera - Sold
TrackVision
944Cup
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump