Lighting in Old 911s - Headlights, Relays, Foglights, and more - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Lighting in Old 911s - Headlights, Relays, Foglights, and more

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Chris, am sorry to be so inept, but I slept through most of my electrical engineering courses at the Academy.

Could i run a line from the battery to the two pin 30s on the female relay sockets, then feed the yellow and white lines from the turn signal switches to pin 86 on the same connectors, then out from pin 87, back to the top of the appropraite fuse on the fuse panel? again...thanks...

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Lifer

jbailey930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86911TLCAB View Post
John B...did you try the fix in the thread you posted on Pelican? Must be something which if the three come together at the same time, only allows power to the low beams.

I will take it...if i can fix it will give it back to you as a spare...
Tito, you going to katie's coffee Sat or Fairlakes on Sunday? I can meet you for the swap.
86 911 Targa (sold/missed)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Not going to be there...but my folks are in Mclean...so am occasionally in your neck of the woods...let me fix mine first and see if my little idea (little because the part is so small) and will let you know sometime soon if i succeed....

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Oops, I thought the thread said "lightening old 911s...." nevermind.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86911TLCAB View Post
Could i run a line from the battery to the two pin 30s on the female relay sockets, then feed the yellow and white lines from the turn signal switches to pin 86 on the same connectors, then out from pin 87, back to the top of the appropraite fuse on the fuse panel? again...thanks...
If you want to wire your headlights with the two relay setup, do the following:

1. Locate the headlight fuses in your car. There will be four of them, one for each filament. There is only one wire for the high beams and one wire for the low beams coming from the dashboard, which is split between the two fuses at the fuse box itself.

2. The wires the go into the TOP of the fuse block are on the unfused side of the circuit. The wires on the bottom of the fuse box go to the headlights. You want to make your modifications on the unfused top side. Locate the highbeam wire from the dashboard - on my car its a 14ga white wire going to the top of fuse 12. Unscrew this wire from the top of the fuse and connect it to pin 86 of one of you relays.

3. Take a good 12ga piece of wire and run it from pin 87 of that same relay to the place in the fuse box that you just removed high beam wire from and tighten it down.

4. Do the same procedure with the low beam relay. Remove the low beam wire (yellow in my car) from the top of the fuse box and connect to pin 86 of the relay. Connect pin 87 of that same relay to the place in the fuse box you just removed the yellow wire from.

5. Ground the relays - connect both of the 85 pins of the relays together and ground them somewhere close. There's a screw just under the fuse box that I used. This is the ground for the coils of the relays, so it won't carry very much current - a 18ga wire is fine here. Use brown wire if you want to be authentic like the Germans.

6. All that's left is connecting the +12V supply for the headlights. Use 12ga wire and connect to either the battery or a convenient place in the fuse box - I use the top of fuse 2 in my car - that is where bus 30 (+12V unswitched) came from the battery for the A/C. Run this line to both 30 pins on the relays.

7. Mount the relays. Test and you're done.

I suggest testing with a meter to make sure you've identified the wires from the dashboard correctly. And use relay sockets. If you're wiring in OEM Porsche relays like I did you have no choice, but the std Bosch style relays can be used with a standard spade connector. Relay sockets for these are cheap and easy to use. They look like this:

Name:  Bosch_Relay_Socket.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  23.9 KB

If you do go with regular spade connectors, use the fully insulated kind:

Name:  85556-007.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  27.6 KB

and not these:

Name:  Brand-New-Red-22-16AWG-Insulated-Female-Spade-Terminal-Connectors-Wholesale-EP144-.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  9.0 KB

You don't want to ground out a +12V unfused wire.
1999 E46 328i
Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Thanks...really appreciate the full description...might as well get it right the first time...

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 04-20-2013, 03:55 PM

drwiremore
Default Maximize the lighting with a diode (adder to the relay system)

I have the two relay system, as you described. One relay for high beams; and another for low beams. It occurred to me that since I had this relay, why not double my available light? How, keep the low beams on with the high beams. Piece of cake and cost me a dollar, I think.

So, I ran a diode from the high beam relay (bulb side switched relay contact +), and ran that to the low beam relay (coil side +). Have had this for about 10 years without a problem. The only current that goes thru the diode is the demand from the coil. Love the extra brightness.

Low beams = low beams
High beams = high beam + low beam.

Understand there is a way to keep the fog lights on with the brights. My next DIY. At a recent Porsche luncheon it was mentioned this was so easy with the movement of a single wire. But they never told me which wire and where.

dw
87 Cabriolet still makes me smile

Last edited by drwiremore; 04-20-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 PM

rothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threadsrothaus has nine HoF threads

I did the H4 upgrade on my 82 SC last weekend. I took a few pictures and here they are.

I used the wire posted by Jazzbass, Thanks ! This made most sense and it is easy, since there are no additional wires to run.

I had 2 of the sockets with cable and relay sitting, a left over from another project.

I got these parts from Parts-Express

socket

Relay

The cables have the following colors:

30 Blue
85 White
86 Black
87 Yellow

The red cable can be removed, since it is not used.

Connecting the blue cables + 30. To be connected to the battery.

Disconnected the yellow (Low Beam) and white (High Beam) from the fuses.

I marked the relays L and H. Connected the black cable of each relay to the yellow and white cable, which was disconnected from the fuses.

The yellow cable of each relay is connected to the fuses, and the blue cable to the Battery + 30.

The white cable is ground, and I just connected it the one the fender bolts.

The nice thing is that the cable which come with the sockets were long enough.

The car looks happy now.

Cheers
Engelbert

2012 Boxster S
2006 Cayenne S
1984 911 Targa, 3.4L
1982 911 SC
1978 1303 Kaefer Cabrio
1971 911 3.6
1966 912 - Future Project