Unplugged Oxygen Sensor Rationale - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » Unplugged Oxygen Sensor Rationale

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:16 AM

VRSENVL
Default Unplugged Oxygen Sensor Rationale

I have a recently bought '88 Carrera that underwent a PPI during the buying process. The inspection revealed a couple minor things but one of the items was an unplugged O2 sensor. He had no idea why someone might unplug it, but the car is running a Steve Wong chip (if that matters ). Any rationale why you would unplug it?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Not with EFI. Old trick was to unplug it on CIS systems. 02 was more for emissions than balance.

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 AM

JmuRiz

I would think with a 3.2 EFI engine it would run worse w/o the O2 sensor attached. Maybe the sensor was bad and they were too cheap to replace it?

Heck I had an O2 bung installed on my heat exchangers to better dial in my carb'd 2.7 when I get it installed. I can also use it when/if I go EFI in the future
'99.5 A4 2.8QT
'65 Falcon 80
Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 AM

cmartin

Car should run rich. Do you have a history of the motor? Makes sense to me if chip is written for specific mods and ultimate power is the goal over full range operation. Talk to Steve Wong.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

This ^^Not a tuning expert but from my limited knowledge, Wong probably programmed the chip to run off of his tables/maps based on dyno results as opposed to relying on data from the O2 sensor.(i.e. open loop vs. closed loop) By unplugging the O2 sensor, the computer relies on the maps that have been programmed in and designed for performance as opposed to emissions. None of my racecars with Behe made chips use O2 sensors. Probably runs a little rough until warmed up?

89 944 Turbo - 2010 944 SuperCup Mid-Atlantic Champion, 2013 944 SuperCup North Chapter Champion
85.5 944 NA son's 2015 944Cup National Championship Winning racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
98 993 C2S w/factory Aerokit II
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SuperDuty Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." - my 12 year old son on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 PM

VRSENVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
Car should run rich. Do you have a history of the motor? Makes sense to me if chip is written for specific mods and ultimate power is the goal over full range operation. Talk to Steve Wong.
Motor should be completely OG based on history. No additional mods.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:43 PM

VRSENVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPooch View Post
This ^^Not a tuning expert but from my limited knowledge, Wong probably programmed the chip to run off of his tables/maps based on dyno results as opposed to relying on data from the O2 sensor.(i.e. open loop vs. closed loop) By unplugging the O2 sensor, the computer relies on the maps that have been programmed in and designed for performance as opposed to emissions. None of my racecars with Behe made chips use O2 sensors. Probably runs a little rough until warmed up?
This makes sense. Car is a little rough at start. Iíll have to do some testing this weekend to see how it is with/without the sensor.