Car stability - Page 10 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Car stability

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landjet View Post
Most of my recent instructors have told me my car feels good and I think it feels good mostly, but I'm always looking for improvement.
nitrous would be a very noticeable and visceral improvement. all of the unused suspension capabilities in the world are no substitute for raw power when you want to overtake a lesser car.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

Quote:
I've been on the skid pad with Bob.
what did he say??

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 PM

racer

mmm 10 pages...
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Noah has one HoF thread

you should grease the rear torsion bars, that will smooth things out.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM

Cliff Claven

Quote:
Originally Posted by }{arlequin View Post
this thread reminds me a bit of td's threads
lolz. be carful larry. consider avoiding that path as kind of a rough rule of thumb. there can be only one TD.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
And let's keep the bashing going because so far all I've learned is I'm a hack driver, I don't know how my own car feels, I'm slow as hell, and I should never tweak on the car because then you never learn how to drive. Except for Toby's, Tony's and Fatih's input, it's been more like a 15 to 1 tag team wrestling match with me getting the chair over the head.
That's it... no soup for you! What did I post that was a bash? I discussed what are generally accepted conventions.

The dorki are a mod happy bunch for the most part. Some have learned (mostly via the hard way) what does and does not make you faster overall. There are so many mistakes that one man cannot learn by making them all for himself. I know, I have tried.

MLIN. spot on, I am still learning the ways of the downforce and not having my own Yoda does not help. I have aimed for and found a slight oversteer in the slower corners but flat neutral in the faster stuff. Car feels good and can be driven into, turned and driven out hard. I can hammer the car through T4 but still get turned into and through T5

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
what did he say??
I was happy to have Larry visit the pad. IIRC, Larry and I worked on understeer as I try to do with all students new to the pad because it is chapter 1 in car control. I think the AWD combined with turbo of the Jet complicates isolating how inputs relay into reactions from the car so were not able to do massive dash rattling understeer. I think I mentioned that at the time. I do not recall ever working on oversteer much. I might recall that Larry was instant on opening the wheel before any oversteer developed which is a nice safe instinct but hampers skidpad exercises.

Larry, I'll be at the SC school next month and would be happy to give you a demo ride in my car. We'd both have fun and I believe I can show you big exaggerated understeer (aka "Tight") and gobs of oversteer (aka "Loose"). I might throw in a spin without meaning to also. I know I am very curious what the balance will be in my car with the stiffer T-bars. I suspect it will be more loose which is less tight while rolling less.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM

MLIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
There are so many mistakes that one man cannot learn by making them all for himself.
Ain't that the truth. I still get a ride with at least two instructors each event. Say, Kurt, can I get a ride next time?

Bob, I need to visit you soon. Believe it or not, I still have not officially done any skid pad work. All my drifting practice came from Karting.... and watching Fast & Furious.

2004 C2 Cab
1990 C2 G/H class racer
1988 911 3.2 w/ a ducktail - Sold
1999 Boxster - Sold
Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Landjet

OK Bob, I'll look for you.

Some on here have a straight forward way of giving info and I thank you for that, and others who have a condescending attitude toward those they consider their inferiors. They think being questioned about their advice is beneath their dignity and get upset about it.

Guys, I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, I'm just trying to learn. Sometimes I can learn from others through the written word and sometimes I have to bang my own head against the wall to learn. I can be pretty dense sometimes. But I do appreciate your input and enjoy the forum anyway.

Last edited by Landjet; 05-20-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM

Landjet

Quote:
And let's keep the bashing going because so far all I've learned is I'm a hack driver, I don't know how my own car feels, I'm slow as hell, and I should never tweak on the car because then you never learn how to drive. Except for Toby's, Tony's, Fatih's, and Kurt's input, it's been more like a 15 to 1 tag team wrestling match with me getting the chair over the head.
There, now can I have some more soup.

And then there is Noah, who in the couple of years I have been on here has yet to offer anything of value. If cutting remarks were dollars he would be a rich man.