Paint Booth Rental - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » Paint Booth Rental

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 03-21-2021, 11:44 AM

onboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwong View Post
Well, the car that I want to paint is an Astro Van... They have a special for 499. Just a enamel single stage paint. Well they said, 2 coats sealer and 2 coats paint. for a van, probably 300 more.

But if I went to a Base Coat/Clear coat, it would be 1500+.
Base/clear system will always bump the price as the additional materials, reducers, hardeners and other chemicals at to the price. Of course you add to the coats as well/ "2 coats sealer and 2 coats paint" and 2 coats of clear.

Then of course the better the quality of materials the price bumps again. Roughly $1500 -$2k for the paint system alone.

It is - what it is..
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
So many cars..so little time!!
Old 03-21-2021, 12:06 PM

cmartin

They did my buddies m3 a month or so ago. the first maaco he went to was like the joke goes, turn and burn. Not the kind of place that interests me. The location he ended up with seems like a decent paint shop. Not going to win the concours de plaid but from ~10' it looks really nice. As with most paint work prep is key and they did a good/ok job.

Quote:
Then of course the better the quality of materials the price bumps again. Roughly $1500 -$2k for the paint system alone.

It is - what it is..
I was surprised to find the same thing when I as looking a while ago.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:39 PM

dnwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
They did my buddies m3 a month or so ago. the first maaco he went to was like the joke goes, turn and burn. Not the kind of place that interests me. The location he ended up with seems like a decent paint shop. Not going to win the concours de plaid but from ~10' it looks really nice. As with most paint work prep is key and they did a good/ok job.

I was surprised to find the same thing when I as looking a while ago.
The maaco guy I talked to here in chantilly said that if I called a location further away, I would get a better deal. The prime locations are less likely to offer discounts. He said to try calling the Winchester, VA and locations further from the city.
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
Old 03-22-2021, 07:48 PM

racer

Not sure the goal, or what the cost might be, but what about a vinyl wrap?
Past
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 PM

onboost

Vinyl wrap, in my opinion, more suited to newer cars for color change of different look. Cost in many cases can equal that of a decent paint job, which surprised me! Also, surface needs to be in very good shape as it will show all imperfections.. not saying that its bad, but may not achieve the look or goal you're after.
RGruppe #180
PCA Potomac + 35yrs
So many cars..so little time!!