Great Drivers Ed Intro - Page 7 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Great Drivers Ed Intro

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:23 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Paesano View Post
My personal opinion. Unless you are data logging and making scientific analysis, lap times only matter for the session you just did. Don't compare session to session. So many variables you can't control can make you think you are doing better or worse if you compare session to session and event to event.
I realize you try to establish a baseline from the car, but the track is different, weather/temps differ, etc.
On the flip side, no substitute for seat time.
Also, I don't time laps because the high numbers make me sad.
Agreed, there are many variables but despite this there is a linear rate of progression across 2 tracks. I've taken Ross Bentley's advice and picked up ApexPro as a learning tool. In another post I explain how the data is easily imported to Track Attack but there are few people sharing lap times for me to compare data from faster drivers especially those with the same set-up as my car. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting observation and maybe someone might be inclined to do the same.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Dandelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
Agreed, there are many variables but despite this there is a linear rate of progression across 2 tracks.
Um, there is no linear rate of progression. There is a linear fit plotted to the data points.

It is possible to make a linear fit to *any* set of data points - doesn't mean that there's actually a progression.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 04-10-2019, 09:41 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Lies, damm lies and statistics!

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:42 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
You approach the wall asymptotically but unlike Zeno you will reach it
This might also be applied to motors. It was running great until the rod came out the side of the case.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:06 AM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Murphy's Driving Trumps Zeno's Race Car Build
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Um, there is no linear rate of progression. There is a linear fit plotted to the data points.

It is possible to make a linear fit to *any* set of data points - doesn't mean that there's actually a progression.

ed
When plotting %change in lap times from HDPE vs time from HDPE the slopes (rate) are different and recognize that there is only 3 data points at VIR. This is not a thesis. What I meant by linear rate of progression was the concordance between -9.3% and -9.9% improvement in lap times since HDPE.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Der ABT

Having logged a few miles driving and now a few coaching, collecting alot of laps and data along the way....
Not sure of youve attended any of my data talks but best laptime is not the best measure.

You really should be looking at consistency more than anything....if you can only do 1 lap at a 1:25 at summit and the rest are 130 and above......sometimes you get lucky.
When you learn to progress your skills....and REPEAT them over and over, thats when you see progression.

Thats really a good bit of the addiction.....soo many variables must be done just right.
For example, look at your theoretical best lap....how many tenths off are you....... 0.3 to 0.5 should be the goal with a Fast lap, not just an easy lap......if your 9 or 10 tenths you wont get it right everylap.....often when someone is learning you see .6 to 1.5 off their best lap, which then opens the door to picking low hanging fruit to work on.

Data has actually been around a long while in different forms.....i used to have a 8mm camcorder and video tap every run to watch and compare to friends later.
Now with GPS, laptiners, etc....its just more powerful....

But take a cheap gopro or knock off, video your run and sit down with someone or hire someone to review it.....ive done it fairly often.....you get some good things to work on you may not see....

Sorry to preach
2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/
Old 04-11-2019, 09:46 PM

JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der ABT View Post
Having logged a few miles driving and now a few coaching, collecting alot of laps and data along the way....
Not sure of youve attended any of my data talks but best laptime is not the best measure.

You really should be looking at consistency more than anything....if you can only do 1 lap at a 1:25 at summit and the rest are 130 and above......sometimes you get lucky.
When you learn to progress your skills....and REPEAT them over and over, thats when you see progression.

Thats really a good bit of the addiction.....soo many variables must be done just right.
For example, look at your theoretical best lap....how many tenths off are you....... 0.3 to 0.5 should be the goal with a Fast lap, not just an easy lap......if your 9 or 10 tenths you wont get it right everylap.....often when someone is learning you see .6 to 1.5 off their best lap, which then opens the door to picking low hanging fruit to work on.

Data has actually been around a long while in different forms.....i used to have a 8mm camcorder and video tap every run to watch and compare to friends later.
Now with GPS, laptiners, etc....its just more powerful....

But take a cheap gopro or knock off, video your run and sit down with someone or hire someone to review it.....ive done it fairly often.....you get some good things to work on you may not see....

Sorry to preach
Indeed I've attended 2 of your sessions and had our VBox demoed in my car. This is what got me thinking about analytics. Attached are 2 sessions from VIR showing deltas between fast and theoretical laps: 0.4, 1.3, 0.2 sec (the last delta not shown in image). This is the first time using ApexPro+TrackAttack to collect data so I can't generate this data from other DE events.

What channel is most informative when identifying the low hanging fruit to work on (Apex Score, delta time, lat, long acceleration, speed etc)? Can you recommend a book to learn how to interpret the data? It would be ideal to get an understanding of these basic concepts before setting up a coaching session. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMG_0422.pdf (415.8 KB, 518 views)