'71 914-6 Restoration - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » '71 914-6 Restoration

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Cairo94507 has one HoF thread

Some more of the metal work I paid for:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM

This is how the car looked when I picked it up after 61 months. BTW, it has an inner long frame bracing kit installed- so don't sweat it when you see it on the rotisserie like that. Then you will some of the rear trunk access holes cut into the replacement rear panel piece. Cut with a pair of hand shears? Then look at the new jack point donut installed. Is that even close to concours?
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Some (most) of us are not body metal experts, can you point out some of the issues a little more clearly?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Hi VASteve - Yeah, I am sorry. I am generally just going to post the pictures. If the problems are not apparent to someone, that's OK. People who have been down the road of a concours level or near concours level restoration, will see the problems immediately. Also, as I continue to post pictures and we move on to the work done by the CA shop, you will immediately see the difference in the quality of the work. Cheers.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Hmmm, well not that many Dorkiphus regulars are familiar with concourse-level restorations, so it would be useful information to us.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 06-25-2018, 11:54 AM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

I personally feel like I've seen enough pictures of the initial failed restoration and don't need any further 'evidence' of your bad experience with a fellow Dorki. You've made your point. If you'd like to share you current undertaking I'd be interested in seeing that but not if I have to sit through your disagreement that is apparently covered elsewhere. We're in large part a positive and focused group with friendly back-stabbing. You won't get more positive attention here than you will on a 914 forum unless you want to start looking forward and need help solving problems.

Our apparent International fame and legitimacy aside, we are not the Better Business Bureau.
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Thanks, Martin. The Mods are watching this thread hoping it turns into something more informative very soon. It has already been expressed Dorkiphus is not a platform for grievances, and it is always a flag when someone from out of the area joins in to knock a shop. The OP is being given a chance to make this into an informative/ useful post about a 914 build.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Well that's interesting. I belong to other forums and their main goal is to educate and promote car enthusiasts and their hobby. I ended up with a guy who represented himself as a concours level restorer of Porsches and found out the hard way that was not the case. I have asked no one to assist me with anything.

I came here after being referred by a member who was also taken advantage of. I had never heard of Dorkiphus before and only hoped to save another car enthusiast from the same experience. I believed since your forum was centered in that same region, fellow enthusiasts would appreciate knowing about that problem.

Additionally, I posted a bare-bones back-story for context. I believed I would let the pictures speak for themselves. My thoughts were if people saw the work I paid good money for, they would be able to make their own decision about the quality. I have not posted an example of the corrective work done yet. I will post some of those pictures and if everyone here still would rather just believe a fellow Dorkiphus member is beyond being called out for his work, then fine, you will not hear from me again. I am just a hardworking, life-long Porsche owner trying to help out others similarly situated. Cheers. Michael

To be absolutely clear, these are now pictures of the chassis being correctly repaired and straightened to factory specs in California. It was necessary to replace both front fenders, nose, passenger rear quarter panel and both doors.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM

Some random shots as the chassis progresses along:
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairo94507 View Post
Well that's interesting. I belong to other forums and their main goal is to educate and promote car enthusiasts and their hobby. I ended up with a guy who represented himself as a concours level restorer of Porsches and found out the hard way that was not the case. I have asked no one to assist me with anything.

I came here after being referred by a member who was also taken advantage of. I had never heard of Dorkiphus before and only hoped to save another car enthusiast from the same experience. I believed since your forum was centered in that same region, fellow enthusiasts would appreciate knowing about that problem.

Additionally, I posted a bare-bones back-story for context. I believed I would let the pictures speak for themselves. My thoughts were if people saw the work I paid good money for, they would be able to make their own decision about the quality. I have not posted an example of the corrective work done yet. I will post some of those pictures and if everyone here still would rather just believe a fellow Dorkiphus member is beyond being called out for his work, then fine, you will not hear from me again. I am just a hardworking, life-long Porsche owner trying to help out others similarly situated. Cheers. Michael

To be absolutely clear, these are now pictures of the chassis being correctly repaired and straightened to factory specs in California. It was necessary to replace both front fenders, nose, passenger rear quarter panel and both doors.
You made your points about Scotty. You can think you are a savior to all who come after you, which is fine if it helps you sleep better at night. And it probably does, since you laid out a lot of money.

Scotty's work does speak for itself as you indicate. I have seem photos of some primo work from him. Now we have seen photos of some poor work. No question something has changed with him/ his operation. Hopefully he can make things right at some point, although it may be too far gone. The couple people I know who have wanted him to work on their projects have been on 'hold' for 2-3 years, and have all moved on and sought out other shops. So if nothing else, he was doing his best to not take on projects -- likiely knowing he would not be able to get them done.

Your point has been made. Going forward, it would be great of the additional posts are informative. As I said, some of the photos do not 'speak for themselves' to some readers who have not seen restorations. So it is helpful if you point out issues so some not familiar with the techniques/ processes will know what to look for when they deal with other shops.