Porschefest DE 2018 Aug 3 Aug 5 - Page 6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Porschefest DE 2018 Aug 3 Aug 5

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 PM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads
Thumbs up Thank you PCAP Volunteers!

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful weekend! Especially thankful for the volunteers and organizers that put so much in to making this club so awesome!

This was Tina's and my first event with PCAP this year (yikes! work sucks bawls!) and we appreciated the warm welcome from everyone. Its great to be back amongst friends having fun! “I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Friday was quite moist all over, like a warm, rainy spring day. Saturday was hot and the track was dry but the air was moist and funky like a teenager's dirty clothes hamper. Sunday was hot like you left the microwave oven door open while making popcorn so you could see each kernel pop. There was something for everyone.

Friday was power day given the temps. 401 was back at the track and feeling good with new tires since the last cried like a baby at VIR last year. Drove the second session on a damp but rapidly drying track. Thanks Vranko for zip-tie a dragging O2 sensor up for me while I was out with my student! Dressed for the third and fourth but got soaked heading for the car. Had a great student in Blue with an E46 M3 and he was a joy to work with. Fun guy that is clearly dedicated to driving. Hung with the cool kids (and that other guy) at Ruby for dinner - such much fun.

Bridge washed out on the way in Saturday morning from Winchester and had to back track. Waze wouldn't allow us to mark the road as closed for some reason so I'm sure some other folks found themselves staring at the rushing stream as well. Got guttenhot during the day. VG's cool shirt would have sold for $1K. Lots of folks looked to be having fun in any case. I had fun riding with Rubber Ducky in White (congratulations on your promotion to Black, buddy!) but got a chance to see 401 on track and was not pleased. Turns out 401 was bottoming out the rear shocks (thanks Evan, LoneWolf, Vranko, Mihnea) under load causing infinite shock rates and shimming back and forth following the road. I had previously dismissed this as the old tires giving up but with the new tires it was under load a lot Evan demonstrated how to not sip on bad car behavior but to shotgun it to bring out the true personality. Sunday morning we upped the pressure in the shock cans as a Band-Aid and that helped enough for Tina to enjoy the rest of the day. Win! Now to a more permanent fix...

Railside Food at the Dinner was truly good food. I did miss the boy band "Cougar Bait" from last year. Speeches were agonizingly short (even on a box) - I don't feel like I got my money's worth. Hunt pawing through all the pink track gear was a bit off-putting.

Good to see BMAN in his cuppish car out on track!
Date Night at Waffle House
#Sad for Tom TheMan
Glad that Hunt finally took a shower - I heard the squeal 100 yards away
Damn, Baywatch is Fine Looking even in a dimmed mirror!
Evan Almighty: Zombie Hunter - Have Mobile Love Shack, Will Travel (tm)
Pat's Little Bitch
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles

Last edited by N0tt0N; 08-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

All this nautical talk makes me jealous.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 AM

SilverStreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
Glad that Hunt finally took a shower - I heard the squeal 100 yards away
I believe you are mistaken. That was a full throated war cry. The kind that sends chills down the spines of my enemies and makes them question the decisions they've made and the imminent consequences thereof.
Vimeo
https://www.youtube.com/user/Streak986

1999 SPB #611
2004 Wrangler

“That’s how people like you work. Your ego is so out of whack that it will do what ever it can to protect itself. And people with a messed up ego can do these mental gymnastics to convince themselves they’re awesome when really they are just douche bags” - Kyle, South Park

"If you need to focus maybe you should buy the book and take it home" - MLIN
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Cushion Convector

BMAN

It's awesome to see another sold out weekend for Potomac. These big turnouts with new faces every weekend is great motivation to continue to improve and gain preference amongst DE drivers.....it ain't easy to please everyone but we are really trying and it's great to see the program so strong.

I lost a good amount of water weight, so that was good. Continuing to struggle with the new car. So far, both Caymans have proven faster with even with, what's supposed to be, a 90hp+ handicap .

Had rain tires ready to go Friday but the car wasn't ready. But got to use the training wheels skid pad instead. Skid teachers were great, as usual.

Congrats to all the promos!

It takes an army to pull these weekends off so thanks to everyone that chipped in!! Especially ALL of the folks who keep coming out to help that don't even have a car to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
Evan Heisenberg - Have Mobile Speed Shack, Will Travel (double tm)
FTFY
'72 E
'80 Weissach SC
'94 C2
'05 996 GT3 CUP
'09 White Winged Cayman S (Hers, all hers!)
'11 GTS/C4S Donuts
'15 Boxster S #Blubyu
Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 AM

smayst824

I'll second N0tt0N's notion... It's been years since Pfest hasn't fallen on the same week as the family beach trip, so it was awesome to be back. It's always fun to have so many people around the paddock, and of course all of the volunteers made sure everything ran smoothly. Thanks to the DE team for doing a fantastic job as always, and to Pat and the social team for the fantastic dinner (I was impressed with Railstop's spread). And Mia's t-shirts are so cool! I always love being able to hang out at the track after-hours with everyone (with young kids at home it doesn't happen too often). I even got to do something I've never done in 19 years of driving Summit Point... Walk the track! Sadly, it didn't help my lap times Sunday morning! �� Kids' weekend sports schedules will intervene in the coming months, but I look forward to seeing everyone soon.

2016 GT4 (Black)
2012 Cayman R (Silver - Sold)
2012 Cayman R (Black - RIP)
2002 Boxster S (Now my brother's)
2004 Cayenne S (Sold)

The day I bought my first car, my father told me, "Just remember... you can't drive your house, but you can sleep in your car."
Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Chopper Dropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreak View Post
I believe you are mistaken. That was a full throated war cry. The kind that sends chills down the spines of my enemies and makes them question the decisions they've made and the imminent consequences thereof.
Nah Hunt, I thought it was Pat seeing a mouse the girlish scream was so loud. Want to intimidate the heathens, get the bagpipes out!
Dirk
1971 914/6 (Factory) 3.2 Track car
1988 911 Targa
1986 944
Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 AM

thelittlemrs

Hey all - go ahead and fill out the survey! (if you attended) https://goo.gl/forms/O38ojKvtIirPsTvX2
Pepe - 2011 Carrera S - Grey
No Name - 2016 Ford F150 Lariat - White
BikePump - 1964 Stock Husband - Summer Bronzed
Old 08-07-2018, 01:22 PM

Modian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smayst824 View Post
. I even got to do something I've never done in 19 years of driving Summit Point... Walk the track! Sadly, it didn't help my lap times Sunday morning!
There was a track walk?? Damn it.

Agree with the others, had a great time, when I could find shade. Ended the weekend loving the 964 even more than before, though it took the whole weekend to get there. Friday I was wondering how big of a mistake I had made, Saturday it started to click, and Sunday I started pushing and the more I pushed, the better it felt. I definitely had to reset some habits from the M3, but it was so much fun getting on the gas in a corner and feeling the rear hook up and shove you out. And I loved seeing the front fenders out the windshield. And I accomplished my number one goal: don't spin.

I also found out Mark's car is only 5 VINs from mine. So they were probably built next to each other. Pretty cool for them to end up here near each other.

I was talking to someone one day, maybe Brian or Dennis, and mentioned how the car had been build for Stock Club Racing. And their response was, "Oh yeah? What kind of cheater parts does it have on it?" I laughed at the time, but by the end of Sunday, I was wondering. It seems faster than I thought it would be, especially since it still has the stock interior except for front seats and door panels. Still has AC. I didn't even bother removing the front trunk carpet, spare, or toolkit. So we were full weight, and I managed to squeak in a 1'27" while still building trust in the car. Maybe that's not that fast, but it feels fast for a 25 year old stock-ish car. This was on new-ish RE71Rs though. And I managed to overheat the stock brakes, causing a long pedal and some pucker going into 10.

Unfortunately, it was no fun on the skidpad. I went three times on Friday to help understand the car, including one session with just me so I was out the entire time, and we could not figure out how to get the rear end loose. Every time we tried, the rear would just hook up and it would plow straight ahead. Got going around fast enough to be three wheeling, let off, car would tuck in, nail the gas, car would hook up and plow. We had to resort to trying crazy things to get it out, things you would never do on the track. And then we would either instantly spin, or I could hold it for a little bit and then the rears would hook up again and we'd be back on line. Very frustrating. Eventually grabbed an instructor's M3 so we could have some fun.

Here's video of the first Red/Black session. If you were in it, you'll probably see yourself as I think I pointed the entire group by at the end. The session was a bit frustrating as several times I would give someone a point and they would just hang off the corner of my bumper sitting there, and I couldn't tell if they missed it, if I needed to slow down, if they wanted to wait till the corner to practice side by side, or what. One time, you see me give a point before three, and they don't go by until 4, and then I end up pointing everyone by on the left. Not what I wanted to happen.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 08-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Hunter

Aaron,

Nice driving and welcome to the cool guy 964 club.

2023 Audi Q7 Daily Driver
Considering next Porsche
1990 964, Red, Number 692 (Misty) sold
2010 Trailex (Dusty) sold
2003 996, (Speedy) Grey sold

Life is short; just drive....... (boat, bike, etc.)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Der ABT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
There was a track walk?? Damn it.
Wasnt and Official track walk, We did an impromptu walk with no glass.... pickup up a bunch of debris, numbers, heat sheilding, etc also saw a plethora of wheel weights before the brake zone to turn 1
Its amazing how much camber was taken away in some places, but gotta say overally the track looks prety good.

Was definately a great weekend even with all the rain. after the walk you could see why the track feels so green after the rain, some defined areas with rubber down

First outing for the MCU (Mobile Coaching Unit) and it went very well.

Dinner was great (got there a little late so missed some of it but)

Drove a few more cars than expected, and was very happy to help where i could, stayed VERY busy all weekend

Was really good to see some everyone, Very big thank you to the organizers and volunteers

I will leave you with this......havent seen the emergency crew in orange laugh so hard in a LONG LONG time
Attached Images

2015 E stock national champion
Close Motorsports - Driver Coaching and Data Equipment sales
Website coming soon
Old
http://retaliatemotorsports.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Der ABT; 08-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.