"Model" motor build. - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » "Model" motor build.

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads
Default "Model" motor build.

Found a 1/1 scale 2 stroke motor model kit for the Boy to build. He built the plastic 1/6 scale Porsche 911 motor in a sitting and then modded it so the timing would work properly. I figured he was ready for a model that was a bit more realistic.

As a bonus the kit does not come with any pictures, hints or instructions at all.
Attached Images

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 AM

JmuRiz

Stihl chainsaw?
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Sort of... This is a box of 100% non original Stihl parts that turn into a MS-660 clone saw when assembled. It is sold as a parts kit and is very inexpensive, more so when I found it in a super sale. Less expensive than some motor models I was looking at. Just looking at the parts I can say I will not be replacing my Stihl MS-460 Magnum with this one as you often get what you pay for. Everything is the same size and shape and parts from this kit drop into a real 660 but everything is also just a bit off as you would expect from something that cost a small fraction of the original. A real MS-660 is a big beast of a chain saw. With 7 hp stock you can run a 32 inch guide bar with non skip chain and still lean into it.

That said lots of folks build and use them. In this case it is not to use but to have the Boy build and tune a motor. When it is finished it will be ever so slightly more useful than a plastic 1/6th model.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:53 PM

JmuRiz

Cool!
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Too Tall

You have to appreciate that. Nice project.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

We finished up the kit. Everything is just a bit less than a real Sthil but it all goes together and runs. I don't expect it to last like a real one but it would be a good saw to complement a home owner / wood burner type profile. This one bucks the real big stuff and a good smaller saw does the rest.

One item that gave me pause was the wrist pin and roller bearing. On a real Stihl you have to heat the piston to get the wrist pin in or out. On this one it slipped right in. I also got to spend an easy Sunday am listening to "Wait Wait don't tell me!" while slurping coffee and dressing all the ports where they transition to the cylinder. Not unexpectedly the cylinder was cast and machined without any final finish work around the ports. I also suspect the cylinder wall chrome is not a thick and hard as a real Stihl. This kit is not a Lego or Ikea kit. You need to have some prior chain saw motor exp or it would be a real frustrating thing.

4 or so pulls to get it to cough and 10 min of dialing it to a OK tune. Need to run a tank of gas through it and then final tune with the tachometer to see it has the power of a real MS-660. Right now it easily feels strong and revs up with no lag but I have not run it through any big wood yet. Ballsy deep old school saw exhaust note. It starts up just the same as my real Stihl MS-460. Cold = 2 pulls at full choke to get a "cough" and one or two pulls at 3/4 choke. Warm = one pull at Run.
To put the saw size in perspective the bar is a 28", the Boy is 5'10"
(Contrary to the images here he has eyes and we have proper chaps and face protection which is used when cutting and yes, he dipped the bar in the dirt on the first cut. . We were doing some easy low mid rpm cuts to run in the saw a bit and to set the oil feed rate).
Attached Images

Shakespeare.

You Matter.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 04-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

That's cool. One of the things I did when boy was younger was to bring home weedeaters from work that the maintenance guys had deemed "no longer usable/rebuildable" and he would sit at the workbench in the shed for hours taking them apart and putting back together to see how they work. He now does almost all of the maintenance on his race car and can remove the engine, rebuild brakes, drop the tranny, do an alignment, etc. by himself. Seems very few kids have interest in this kind of stuff anymore.

89 944 Turbo Race car
85.5 944 NA son's 2015/2019/2020 944Cup and PCA Nat'l Champ racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
92 968 1 of 2 Tahoe Blue Cabriolets
98 993 C2S w/Aerokit II
77 911S Vintage race car project
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SD Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." -the boy on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:01 PM

cmartin

Cool project. is he out scrounging for wood now?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 PM

spiffyjiff

nice! altho, he needs more panache...like a mask and sport coat.

Name:  200px-Leatherface1974.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  18.6 KB
Old 04-11-2018, 01:32 AM

Porzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff View Post
nice! altho, he needs more panache...like a mask and sport coat.

Attachment 57561