944 S2 as a daily driver? - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » 944 S2 as a daily driver?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

The sunroof jamming won't be an issue.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Same issues as any other cab....keep drains clear.

Coupe is way better looking.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:22 PM

jsheiry

If a cab the back seat area for passengers shoulders, heads etc... shrink up a little more than the coupes. Replacing the top is $1500 - 2k depending on the shop. I find the cab a little more like a 2-3 season car and you said daily driver so I would stick with coupe. If looking at S2 may want to check out the 968 coupe as the most refined version of the 944 series. A few more HP with the better intake and vario cam setup, 6sp, better brakes, better interiors on the 94/95's but much the same 3.0 motor with similar belt/chain issues and deferred maintenance by many PO's. Last of the hand builts at Porsche in Zuffenhausen where the 944's were built in the Audi VW plant. Relatively low production numbers from 92-95 total of 4200 or so split almost evenly between coupes and cabs. If you like Red, Black or white there are plenty of them for sale. The rarer colors are getting harder and harder to find. As a ninetys car they put some cool colors on some. Link to website with all production info on the 968.

http://968register.org/what-is-a-968/

Good luck with your search.

Past
92 968 Lagoon Green
94 968 Polar Silver M030
87 944 NA track/de car
72 Signal Orange 914 survivor
Old 11-28-2018, 04:09 PM

pookie

jsheiry have you seen the 968 prices lately? Craziness. If I go that route I might as well look at 996s since they seem to be in the $15-20k range. I only saw one 968 cab and it was $46k.

I will say another plus for the 944 is that falls into the same category as my current Mustang, in that it is nice enough to drive to work, and I like the looks of it, but it's not a car I would be devastated over if it got crunched in an accident.

1976 911 S Targa (I know, I know, mid year....but I LOVE HER) now a 3.2 scalded cat.

2008 Mustang GT convertible - DD
Old 11-28-2018, 04:31 PM

jsheiry

Agree prices have been rising but plenty of red, black, white and just like the S2 depending on amount of deferred maintenance and mileage you can get one for 7-10K.

Pristine perfectly documented maintenance and low mileage yes 15-20K and higher for rarer more unique colors, options.

Tiptronics even less money and they work well and perform well. Most tip-detractors have never driven one. Especially nice for DD if you have any traffic patterns. I think the very best combination for a cab is a tiptronic. The tiptronic is far superior to early 944 automatics and is similar technology to the 996 tiptronics.

Past
92 968 Lagoon Green
94 968 Polar Silver M030
87 944 NA track/de car
72 Signal Orange 914 survivor
Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Now known as Robbie's dad

TurboPooch

So you mention "a good price" and to me that's the key to your decision. Is the good price because of a lack of maintenance or because the seller just wants to move on to something else? As with any of these old German cars, repairs can add up quickly especially if you have to pay someone to do it. All of the points made previously are good ones and should be considered. Best bet is a PPI by someone that knows these cars so you know what you're getting into. The 90 S2 is one notch below the 968's in terms of desirability and performance but still a good car and can be bought for significantly less money. Insurance can be cheap if you don't insure the car itself. (My son's 944 is $72/year.) A wrecked one can be worth more in parts than it costs to fix it. All of this plus future escalating value makes it a good buy if you get it for the right price. Well cared for 968's and turbos are no longer available on the cheap.

89 944 Turbo - 2010 944 SuperCup Mid-Atlantic Champion, 2013 944 SuperCup North Chapter Champion
85.5 944 NA son's 2015 944Cup National Championship Winning racecar
94 968 1 of 11 Iris blue coupes
98 993 C2S w/factory Aerokit II
70 Boss 302
86 Mustang SVO
08 F250 SuperDuty Diesel
15 Audi SQ5

"Noel spun! Noel spun! Don't do anything stupid, Dad." - my 12 year old son on the radio on the last lap of NASA race as the second place car spins behind me in T5 at Summit Point.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 AM

BobNovas

Did the 3L have a plastic oil scavenger that when it broke, stopped engine oiling? I think the 968 3L had that.

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM

pookie

@turbopooch I saw 3 cabs for sale yesterday for $5500, $8500, and $10500. The $5500 one had good and paint and interior, but no records of maintenance so no record of timing belts, etc. The $8500 also had good paint and interior, it had some records but was due for the timing belt. The $10500 one had everything super clean, recently done including timing belts and clutch. All had mileage over 100k.

So a good price one initially looked like the $5500 one and then planning $2000 for deferred maintenance. The $8500 one doesn't seem as good because it still needs the belts. The $10500 one seems about right based on all that has been done recently, but I don't like the color combo as much white/blue.

1976 911 S Targa (I know, I know, mid year....but I LOVE HER) now a 3.2 scalded cat.

2008 Mustang GT convertible - DD
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Tito

86911TLCAB

hey Ryan...there are a few on the dc area clist...

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:30 PM

zygomatic

I DD-ed my S2 cab for 5 years here in DC. They are good commuter cars, but they're also 30 years old now, so you will definitely want to have a back-up commuting plan, just in case.

The advice above here is all good. On the $5500 car, I'd plan on more than $2K in deferred maintenance. In addition to the belts you're probably going to want to do the water pump (generally done every other belt change), the timing chain pad (the plastic pad mentioned above), and likely the distributor cap/rotor and possibly the spark plug wires. On top of that, you'll want to change the oil and coolant, and probably flush the brake fluid. You may also wind up doing some engine re-sealing. And potentially replace the fuel lines in the engine compartment.

I did all of the above when I made my car into a commuter - and afterward it ran very nicely and without major issues for the next few years.

I've noticed the A/C is usually broken on S2 cabs -- expect to work on that -- but that's a lower-priority repair, since a) the top goes down, and b) it is freezing outside.

In terms of the top: Make sure that the "bows" of the top aren't broken - they're like $1K each to replace. Many owners convert their cabs to manual tops (it is easy) to ensure that the bows don't break. The big call-out on reversing the process involves synchronizing the two motors (the S2 has one on each side) that drive the top -- if they aren't synched, it can get ugly quickly.

The other big call-out in terms of the top is the rear window. Most have a cloudy/scratched stripe where the top folds when the top is down. You can polish it, but I had little luck making it a whole lot better. Replacing the bottom panel (with the window) is possible, but nearly the cost of replacing the entire top.

Beyond that, many of the squawks you see in these cars are cosmetic: cracked dash and warped/cracked door cards. Dash replacement is a pretty hefty job if you decide you can't live with the cracks.

I pulled my instrument cluster to put in LED lights, since the (30 year old!) lighting was dim at night. I also repaired the clock - lots of failed clocks out there - and did the hinges on the glove box.

For me, the litmus test of prior owners was always the "top wrenches" -- the two wrenches you need to unlock the hinge on the top. I noticed that if they didn't have both, their cars typically needed more attention than others.

Last edited by zygomatic; 11-29-2018 at 04:13 PM.