To fully replace 356 battery box walls? -
Navigation » > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » To fully replace 356 battery box walls?

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Das Mike.'s Avatar
Das Mike. Das Mike. is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ashburn, Va
Posts: 87
Das Mike.
Default To fully replace 356 battery box walls?

The battery box in my 63 356 was repaired poorly, probably many years ago, with flat sheet metal. Iíve cut out the flat sheet metal from the floor and back/front/passenger side walls. I have purchased all the repair panels from Stoddard already.

My question is, I should drill out all the spot welds and fully replace all 4 walls, or just cut out the few inches I need from the repair panels and butt weld them in? I donít plan on cutting off the nose panel or fenders.

I'm leaning towards fully replacing everything, as that much butt welding in a confined location seems real annoying.

This will be my first major welding project. I have a Lincoln MIG welder with gas, but am considering picking up a spot welder as I have several other areas that need attention.
Attached Images
1972 911E
1972 914 2.0L
1963 Italian delivered 356B Super 90 project
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:48 PM
cmartin cmartin is offline
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 7,069

Pretty ballsy first project. I like it!

What to do depends on your plans for the car. Know anything not original methods will be picked apart by if you want top $$ someday. If you are going just solid repair thats your choice, but know it going in and dont try to hide it. Make it solid, cover with seam sealer and move on. Thats a good option for a driver but a project car for others. To me its make it solid, dont get carried away and use the car.
78 SC, the 'Red Car'
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Vicegrip's Avatar
Vicegrip Vicegrip is offline
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The other Woodstock.
Posts: 12,668
Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

My personal rule is replace as little of the original metal as needed to erase the damage done. Butt welds are easy grinding them smooth is the key. Many home level spot welders are limited in form and function.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Goggles Paesano's Avatar
Goggles Paesano Goggles Paesano is offline
Where's the beef?
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 502
Goggles Paesano

So many variables in this job. 95% of the variable is your skill with the welders. The other 5 percent is the metal you are trying to weld to on the car. The pictures make it look like the factory metal that hasn't been cut out is still in need of some SERIOUS prep cleaning and more cutting back. Trying to butt weld to what is shown in the pics will just cause a lot of disintegrating metal. If you aren't that skillful, it will probably be less than a minute before you burn a hole right through one of those brand new pieces. If you are skillful, then I would still cut it all out and spot weld it in the same way the factory did it. However, as stated, many spot welders suck. Attempting to butt weld and blend all that is more likely than not, going to lead to eternal sorrow. I think it's outstanding that you are going for it, but I would practice endlessly on the same gauge of practice metal before I ever went for it with my good pieces. Essentially, if you don't spot weld, you are going to be doing a jillion little tack welds anyway, because it's pretty tough to turn down a welder enough to lay a bead on metal that thin and not have it just warp right up, burn through, or be too cold and just bounce the gun back. My 2 cents. I wish you all the best and hope it comes out as you hoped.
Turning good track cars into other people's headaches since 1990

Denis Jenkins
95 M3
07 Z4 Coupe
71 911t
70 Karmann Ghia,

96 f350 7.3 dually.
4 356's,1 996, 4 911's, 1 912, 1 Boxster S, 5 914's, 3 944's, 2 951, 1 924S, 3 95 m3, 03 M3 (Shane's now),97M345, 84 rx7 gsl-se chump car, killer bee gti 21, ITB GTI 48 (Mike Kelley),89 325is s52, 69 Charger General Lee, 2 66 Cadillac verts, 1 68 cadillac vert, and an unspecified number of VWs, Caddys, Lincolns, Bmws.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump