Longhood rust repair - shop recommendation - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » Longhood rust repair - shop recommendation

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:14 AM

odj
Default Longhood rust repair - shop recommendation

Hello All -

I'm looking for a quality shop to take my father's 72T in for some rust repair & repaint as needed. I've seen a number of recommendations for Euro Pros but also have a few friends who've used them with mixed results (in terms of delays and lack of communication). Any other shops the group would recommend?

Thanks!
Jackson
Old 01-22-2021, 09:27 AM

cmartin

What level are you looking for? Amelia island or good/done well ?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:49 AM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
What level are you looking for? Amelia island or good/done well ?
The car is an honest driver in original condition. I'd like repairs befitting the current condition (e.g., looks original, not concours).
Old 01-22-2021, 02:08 PM

racer

Schebish Brothers in Manassas might be of help (https://www.schebishbrothers.com/ ) . Greg used to work at Karrosarie (Lewis Housler's ) shop. He's got all kinds of old cars.. 911's, Z cars, Mercedes too. Does really good work and appreciates older cars.

And, like home construction, expect it to take twice as long as quoted, unless its insurance work. Sometimes tracking down and doing things right on a 50 year old car takes longer than you want.
- 2000 Boxster
- 1987 944
- 1987 924S
- 1978 911 Euro SC
- 1976 914 2.0
- 1970 914 1.7 / 2056cc
Old 01-22-2021, 02:52 PM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Schebish Brothers in Manassas might be of help (https://www.schebishbrothers.com/ ) . Greg used to work at Karrosarie (Lewis Housler's ) shop. He's got all kinds of old cars.. 911's, Z cars, Mercedes too. Does really good work and appreciates older cars.

And, like home construction, expect it to take twice as long as quoted, unless its insurance work. Sometimes tracking down and doing things right on a 50 year old car takes longer than you want.
Thanks, Dave. I took a look at their site and it looks promising. I will reach out.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:46 PM

Modian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post

Nice, they are 5 minutes from me and look promising. I’ll have to check them out too. I wonder if they can handle a sunroof delete properly.

A friend just had his 993 fixed and painted at Euro Pro’s. We’re going to pick it up tomorrow, so we’ll see on quality, but agree on delays and communication aspect. He was quoted 2-3 months and its been 6 and it was hard at times to figure out what the hold up was.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 01-24-2021, 07:28 PM

Richard Curtis

although i don't have any knowledge about prices, but if were contemplating what you seem to be looking for, i would talk to Lewis Hauser at Karroserie in Merrifield, Va. Also note that the rust you can see isn't all the rust. Good luck, sounds like an intriguing project.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 AM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modian View Post
A friend just had his 993 fixed and painted at Euro Pro’s. We’re going to pick it up tomorrow, so we’ll see on quality, but agree on delays and communication aspect. He was quoted 2-3 months and its been 6 and it was hard at times to figure out what the hold up was.
Yeah, I have a handful of close friends who've experienced the same. They seem to be thorough, but not terribly well managed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Curtis View Post
although i don't have any knowledge about prices, but if were contemplating what you seem to be looking for, i would talk to Lewis Hauser at Karroserie in Merrifield, Va. Also note that the rust you can see isn't all the rust. Good luck, sounds like an intriguing project.
Thanks Richard. This is not my first rust rodeo, fwiw. Just the first case I'm not comfortable fixing myself or ignoring.

I reached out to the guy who does our MFI work and he also recommended Karosserie & Schebish. I'll be reaching out to both. Between them and a shop a friend works at (Pro-Speed in Chantilly), I think that should be sufficient for quotes. Appreciate the responses, gents.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:50 AM

JmuRiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
I reached out to the guy who does our MFI work and he also recommended Karosserie & Schebish...
Smart move, he and his dad did a lot of work with with them over the years. All three of them know 356 and longhoods inside and out
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 01-26-2021, 10:35 AM

odj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmuRiz View Post
Smart move, he and his dad did a lot of work with with them over the years. All three of them know 356 and longhoods inside and out
Hey there friend. I did not know you were on this forum as well