Torque Tube Rebuilding - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Professional Help » Torque Tube Rebuilding

Professional Help Post local shops and businesses you trust and recommend.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Marc A
Default Torque Tube Rebuilding

I have been through a few torque tubes due to issues with my conversion and having to use 20 year old replacements. Fortunately, I have sourced all of the parts needed to rebuild these monsters, including having the the drive shaft collars made by a machine shop out of delrin.

Here is a picture of the puck. Old type on the left, new style on the right.

There are four of these in the tube although I am running a 5th one in the front of the tube.

The black plastic part is the drive shaft collar which is difficult to remove and save. In most cases it becomes worn due to bearing failure. I could not find these collars anywhere so I had them made.

I live in Northern Virginia and instruct for NASA, BMW, AUDI, MB, Trackdaze and a few other groups so I'm at a track at least once a month.

As we know replacing the torque tube is a major pain. More and more are going bad and there are less and less of the good used ones available. My thought was why pay $200 for an unknown commodity when for a little more I can have all new guts.

I am offering two rebuild options and assumes that your drive shaft is reusable:

1) Replace the existing bearings with OE steel bearings and delrin collars for $320.00. I would warranty the parts and workmanship for 3 years.

2) Replace the existing bearings with Ceramic Hybrid bearings and delrin collars for $404.00. I would warranty the parts and workmanship for as long as you have the tube. The specs on this bearing are unbelievable for strength and heat resistance. My set up will definitely out live my days at the track.

3) A 5th bearing would cost 55.00 for the steel bearing, 75.00 for the ceramic hybrid.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome. Shipping in and out is possible, but the cost would probably be close to $100.00 each way.

If anyone has a torque tube they don't want any more or with a damaged shaft, I would be happy to take it off of your hands.

Thanks as always.

Marc
Attached Images

'86 951 LS1 (C-2) Gone
'77 911 3.2 (C-1) Gone
3.2 Conversion and 915 Rebuild Home Page
The 958 Conversion

Last edited by Marc A; 12-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.