$150 induction service is actually BG44K? - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » $150 induction service is actually BG44K?

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 AM

88carrera
Default $150 induction service is actually BG44K?

My daily driver is at the shop for it's 60k service and the dealer recommends the induction service.

I can't remember where I read it, but doesn't it involve them emptying a $20 can of BG44k into your tank, then charging $140?

I'm not aware of what else you can do short of removing the throttle body and putting it in a parts washer.
(SOLD) 1974 Datsun 260z, 1997 911, 1988 911
Old 12-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Just went through this with Toyota, and asked the same question. They claim they unhook the fuel rail, injectors, etc. prior to cleaning, so chunks of carbon don't get lodged further down the system. I didn't believe them, but it wasn't my car or my call, so the work was done...

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM

cmartin

I dont buy it. Techron works just fine for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:59 PM

jpinkert

Same service was recommended for my Lexus at 90K. I declined to take them up on the offer. I did pay for the BG transmission flush.

If anyone can find out what they do with the induction service, I'd love to know. My shop mentioned burning out the carbon deposits but I didn't call them on it.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
My wheels are blingie

Rick V

Ok here is the skinny on the injection service. (don't forget I am a wrench) The fuel system is disabled either by pulling the fuelpump fuse or relay. The suply line is disconected from the fuel filter and a pressureized container of fuel cleaner is placed into the fuel line. The return line is pinched off so the cleaner won't rush blindly into the tank. After adjusting the pressure to factory specs. (of the vehicle) the vehicle is started, It is now running on nothing but the cleaner. This cleanes the stems and backsides of the valves as well as the entire combustion chamber and tops of the pistons. When the cleaner runs out the fuel system is re-attached and the vehicle re-started. At this point there are a few options.
1: replace fuel filter I recomend this
2:cleaning the throttle body this involves a new cleaner in a spray can and a soft nylon brush. I recomend this if the throttle body is gummy,sticking or otherwise just plain dirty.
3: there is another cleaner (44k) which is pulled into the intake through an oriface tube while the engine is running this cleanes the rest of the intake that couldn't be reached by the other chemicals.
The following procedure is highly recomended for vehicles that run cheep fuel, do alot of stop and go driving, or just get driven easily.(constantly below 4000rpm.)
I do mine about every 2 years just because it is a good cleaning and it doesn't cost me a thing but the chemicals.

here endith the lesson. I'll be here until 9:00 don't forget to try the roast beef
Old 12-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

c'mon -- they other guys work at places that serve veal!

Great info -- thanks for letting us know what the underwriters usually neglect to tell us "civilians'.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:45 PM
My wheels are blingie

Rick V

Veal, Damn I must be working at the wrong shop!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Jase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threadsJase007 has three HoF threads

Quote:
here endith the lesson. I'll be here until 9:00 don't forget to try the roast beef
Good for a chuckle.

I've used 44K in the tank and the "hot soak" methed on several cars for years. One of them is still running strong at 217,xxx as a DD. The hot soak is simply using a vacuum line into the IM and letting it syphon the 44K into the motor when it is running [poor man's version of one of the processes that Rick V described above]. Near end of bottle ... let it ingest enough to stall the motor. Let sit. Re-attach the vacuum line. Then, fire it up and drive a bit to clear the destroyer sized smoke screen out the back .

Cheers,

Jase

'58 -'76 P-cars
SSPI ~ JScott Racing
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 AM

michael lang

I don't recommend it to or sell it to any of my clients when I one of my techs gives me a recommendation for a "throttle body service". In my opinion, there is no such thing as a mechanic in a can. BG makes very good products, and I don't disclaim anything that they say, but let's call a spade a spade. This service is mostly recommended by service centers or dealerships that focus on Japanese cars, the reason is, because there is not a whole lot to fix on these cars there has to be a way for the shop to make money. Yes, I'm sure that there is some value in having a tech perform this service but it's not going to fix anything that is wrong with the car. The techs that work for me know that I'm not going to even suggest it to my clients so it has gotten to the point where thet have stopped making the recommendation. Howard, you can do what you want, have it done or not, but its not like your car will stop running because you don't have it done.

Mike

89 Carrera
Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 AM

88carrera

I declined the induction service.

I figure I'll leave the car in second gear and do some Italian cleaner a couple times per week.

If it's good enough for the 911...
(SOLD) 1974 Datsun 260z, 1997 911, 1988 911