My "new" E46 (1999 328i) - Page 4 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > BMW Technical Discussions » My "new" E46 (1999 328i)

BMW Technical Discussions BMW related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

I just spent 30 mins researching oil filters because I was convinced I was sent the wrong one. The 328i has a M52 engine, and according to everyone the correct filter is a Mahle OX 154/1D. OK, bought that, open the old filter and see three o-rings. Two green at the bottom and one black at the top. The filter fit - no small o-rings. That's weird, my E90 filters always come with the small o-ring (only one in that car). Internet research says nope - Mann and Mahle filters don't come with these o-rings any more. Does this jive with what others see?

Name:  IMG_1729.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  118.3 KB
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Correct. You get the big one and a crush ring for the oil pan no little greenies.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

Quick run down of my interaction with the windshield guys:

Friday
Me: And the glass you use - OEM glass like Pilkington, Sekurit, PGW?
Them: Yup

Today:
Me: OK, price is X, moldings are correct, and glass is OEM right?
Them: Yup
-- later --
Them - brings in Chinese made no-name glass

Me:

We're trying again tomorrow with an OEM windshield
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-11-2016, 01:12 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Good point of the moldings inserts - Mine disappeared on the last BMW windshield I replaced. My insurance company (I have windshield replacement) also does not cover insert moldings as part of the windshield replacement costs.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Wanted: safety chair.

roundel

My GT3 filter did not have the small rings either.
97 318ti

"Guys, I'm coming in, I have too much grip."
Old 01-11-2016, 01:34 PM

I am working through the exact same process on a 2002 e46 M3 which I bought from a gippo lot down on Route 1. Although there was a bunch of bad and to be worked issues the Good are:
- 6-Speed Non-SMG (Mandatory)
- Clean Body (Clean Carfax and I can't see anything)
- Motor runs great and is a monster
- COMPLETE
- Good interior (some minor wear on the driver's seat finish but the leather is OK)
- Great price (Especially for a Non-SMG car) but I had to look pass some eye-ball issues and the completely gone suspension and brakes and the unsightly wheels. The brakes were the first things to be fixed, along with the broken rear spring.

My plan of attach is very similar to yours and others. For instance, After 1.5 days of laying on my back this weekend, I now have new motor mounts and FCABs - What a huge difference!!!!!! although the shocks and struts are still shot. I did fix the broken rear spring.

Next up:

- Drive shaft support
- Rear Diff Seal
- Trans Mounts
- Diff Mounts
- Rear Sub-Frame Mounts

I am finding that I am grouping things: For instance the above requires removal of the Exhaust and Driveshaft (Porsche Owners may find it shocking that some cars still have these) so might as well bite the bullet and tackle all at once. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
I am working through the exact same process on a 2002 e46 M3 which I bought from a gippo lot down on Route 1. Although there was a bunch of bad and to be worked issues the Good are:
- 6-Speed Non-SMG (Mandatory)
- Clean Body (Clean Carfax and I can't see anything)
- Motor runs great and is a monster
- COMPLETE
- Good interior (some minor wear on the driver's seat finish but the leather is OK)
- Great price (Especially for a Non-SMG car) but I had to look pass some eye-ball issues and the completely gone suspension and brakes and the unsightly wheels. The brakes were the first things to be fixed, along with the broken rear spring.

My plan of attach is very similar to yours and others. For instance, After 1.5 days of laying on my back this weekend, I now have new motor mounts and FCABs - What a huge difference!!!!!! although the shocks and struts are still shot. I did fix the broken rear spring.

Next up:

- Drive shaft support
- Rear Diff Seal
- Trans Mounts
- Diff Mounts
- Rear Sub-Frame Mounts

I am finding that I am grouping things: For instance the above requires removal of the Exhaust and Driveshaft (Porsche Owners may find it shocking that some cars still have these) so might as well bite the bullet and tackle all at once. Good luck with your project.
Pictures?

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Karl,

That would require me to wash it first - Will see what I can do.

Hugh A.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Site Admin

Brake caliper rebuild fun. Rebuilt the two fronts and left rear yesterday with no problems. Everything came apart pretty easily, cleaned up nicely, and the pistons looked good. Tackled the last caliper tonight and this is how the piston looks.
Ugh. The pitting extends far enough into the working surface of the piston to be hitting the piston seal when the piston is fully retracted. And, since I'm putting on new rotors and pads, it will be fully retracted. Damnit.

No one (that I could find) except one place in the UK actually sells the pistons. Good news is I can get another caliper for $30 on eBay.

Name:  IMG_1760.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  154.3 KB
1999 E46 328i
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

I found some places that sell Centric steel pistons online (search is your friend) but they were about $23 for the P-car (free shipping)--it was posted on Dorkiphus last spring. A whole caliper for $30 (if in good shape) sounds like a better deal. I'm pretty sure I bought mine from Car Part Kings, and it came quickly and in good shape. Despite the Dorki thread hecklers talking about Miata calipers, it was for the 911 and worked well all summer.

Peter

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car