"hum" noise between 2-3K rpm - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Porsche Technical Discussions » "hum" noise between 2-3K rpm

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSteve View Post
If you're balance shafts are off time, that is the RPM range where you'll experience it. But you won't hear the whine, you'll be too busy holding onto your fillings. The car will still run and perform, but it's a hellaceous experience.
Sounds like you might have "been there, done that"
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 07-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Does it do it while the car is not moving? If so I have a fancy electronic listening device that is handy for isolating source locations of sounds. you are welcome to stop by and use it. I bet this equipment is not needed and you can isolate using eyes, ears and the stuff between them.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Essential Personnel

VaSteve has one HoF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Sounds like you might have "been there, done that"

First test drove I did on a 944 was like this. It was awful!!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:04 AM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Mickelwait View Post
Does it do it while the car is not moving? If so I have a fancy electronic listening device that is handy for isolating source locations of sounds. you are welcome to stop by and use it. I bet this equipment is not needed and you can isolate using eyes, ears and the stuff between them.
Hmmm...haven't tried that. I'll get the car out for a while today, get some heat in it and have my wife hold the car at 2500 rpm and see what happens.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Moonshine Tester

tdatk has one HoF thread

Tom,
What was the outcome?
82 911 SC (sold missed)
90 C2 (sold missed)
87 928 S4 (sold)
85.5 9 fofo (sold )
Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatk View Post
Tom,
What was the outcome?
The car is in Matt's hands at the moment. I didn't end up having time to touch the car this past weekend, and Matt was gracious enough to call me and make some time in his schedule to look at the car today.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 PM

tomfree

D@mmit...Matt couldn't find it either. Balance shaft belt and timing belt are fine. It's definitely thermal - it doesn't do it cold. Matt did mention that the exhaust seemed very tight - not as much play as the hangers should allow. Perhaps the midpipe is making contact with the unibody when the car heats up, and is generating some weird harmonic at certain RPM. I can't take credit for that theory, that one is Matt's.

When I swapped in the stock midpipe after I bought it, I know I slid the hanger at the joint between the midpipe and the rear section a little towards the front of the car, so that probably explains the tightness. As soon as I get the emissions done on the car, I'll swap in the testpipe, and adjust that hanger a bit.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:54 PM
@porschesideways

ruffyz

Resurrecting this old thread just to link this article: http://arnnworx.com/tensioningbelts.htm . At the bottom it has a link to a video with the whining noise. I've got the whine so I'm thinking a timing belt inspection is in my future...

Not to be confused with the rumble from the original poster, which might be the exhaust as I got a rumble after removing and reattaching my exhaust.

2002 C4S (FOR SALE)
1987 944 (Coil Overs, sold)
2000 Boxster (Long Gone)

Last edited by ruffyz; 08-18-2012 at 10:59 PM.