New tool thread - Page 15 - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:04 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey930 View Post
Powermatic make strong tools. Laguna is the Porsche/Ferrari.
Excellent video.
FWIW, Just remember that Porsche/Ferrari are made by VW/Fiat now Laguna saws are chinese/italian like everyone else. I've seen one and was not impressed. Maybe old ones are better. My old US made powermatic 87(81?) weighs THREE times what a similar sized Laguna weighs. Mass = stiffness and damping. An old DoAll is even nicer! Haven't found one of those that fits through my basement door yet though
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000
2015 Mustang GT (Microsoft SUCKS!)
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers),
2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar
Old 11-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

This^ Would love an older Powermatic but I need to be able to move the saw around at times. Wheels, tires, blade guidence and good blade stock all play into good cutting.
Keepers of the cog. Rule#5#10#43

You Matter.
Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy.

Science or silence please.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:08 AM

cmartin

Quote:
Just remember that Porsche/Ferrari are made by VW/Fiat now
No chit, what is the world coming to?!?

I'm finally organizing my space enough to work a little more efficiently and now I'm stuffing it with tools again. I'm to the point where I'm sick of working on something so I can use it to do some work.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
This^ Would love an older Powermatic but I need to be able to move the saw around at times.
My saw is on wheels (nearly everything in my house is on big wheels because I like both the mobility and I hate bending over to use tools designed for short people.) I actually welded a drop cradle so that I raised the saw very little. My basement ceiling is only ~7.5' and I had to add very little height to the saw so that it would roll under the I beam. I need to add pins to the front casters to selectively lock them from swiveling. I can currently roll it out from the wall fine. Only need to come out a foot or two to have clear access. But rolling it back that short distance, the casters try to swivel and cause havoc. I figure a ~1/4" hole drilled through the caster periphery & frame would allow me to drop a pin in and lock it most of the time.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000
2015 Mustang GT (Microsoft SUCKS!)
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers),
2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM

Vicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threadsVicegrip has six HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
My saw is on wheels (nearly everything in my house is on big wheels because I like both the mobility and I hate bending over to use tools designed for short people.) I actually welded a drop cradle so that I raised the saw very little. My basement ceiling is only ~7.5' and I had to add very little height to the saw so that it would roll under the I beam. I need to add pins to the front casters to selectively lock them from swiveling. I can currently roll it out from the wall fine. Only need to come out a foot or two to have clear access. But rolling it back that short distance, the casters try to swivel and cause havoc. I figure a ~1/4" hole drilled through the caster periphery & frame would allow me to drop a pin in and lock it most of the time.
Now cut that out.

While I am trying to spend cmartin's money you are trying to spend mine.

I did a drop cradle for the table saw so to would line up with some in and out feed tables I had at the time. No longer have the feed tables but the saw finds every little undulation or dropped bit of this and that on the floor. Dropped it too low....
Keepers of the cog. Rule#5#10#43

You Matter.
Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy.

Science or silence please.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 11-29-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM
cocainemakesyouthinner

}{arlequin

i used to drove, you've probably never heard of me