Plumbing Scope/Camera - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Tools Needed/For Loan » Plumbing Scope/Camera

Tools Needed/For Loan If you need to borrow some tools, or have tools to loan, post here.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 PM

Dandelion

This happened to my mother in law...on New Years Day. The proximate cause wasn't iron oxide nodules....it was the willow tree that sent roots through the outside pipe connecting to the sanitary sewer - causing a backup into the house.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 03-10-2016, 02:32 PM

JmuRiz

I'm sure there's some cast iron tuberculates, the thing is the run where the issue is is only about 2' max. That's the only gap from the kitchen line to where the main exits the house. Note: the rest of the house drains just fine from the main stack.

Hopefully I can do the removal of the clog from down-low and get it flowing...maybe some day get the line cleared with a cutter head and maybe lined with those fancy new epoxy linings. As long as I can get the clog out w/o having to cut up walls/floors I'll be happy for now.

Kurt mentioned the cleaning of lines with a cutter head and LOTS of water is not the most fun job in the world. I think we chatted about it 2-3 years ago.

With my newly bought camera that should be here Friday I'll take a look-sie and report back. I think I can even take pictures/vid and save it to my laptop and share here for Dr. K's enjoyment.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
'02 S6 Avant - trans blew, but rebuilt as a 6-speed by new owner
'99.5 A4 2.8QT - tree fell on it after 20 years
‘74 MB 280C - traded for paint/rust repair/6-conversion mods on the 914
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM

Roo

There should be a vent near/at the kitchen line. You may have some success snaking the vent down to and past where the kitchen line tees into the vent stack. Just a thought....

83 911SC
12 Lexus CT 200h
08 Outback wagon
04 F250 SD

Truth be it known, I just like working on cars - Slick Henderson
Old 03-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

From my phone chat with JmuRiz the section in question is about 3 feet long. Access via Fernco at one end and the Y fitting into the main stack at the other. I recommended he stuff a flexible 1 inch dia or so hose down the pipe and suck what he can out using a shop vac. Then take a look at what came back. Lots of rust? Drill it with a small spiral then cut it using progressively larger saw toothed cutters. Hair and bacon fat? Cut and water blast. dirt and little rocks? Start digging. Nothing but black water comes back then you stuff it with a bore scope. This sounds like a DIY just from the small run and easy access.

The bad part is it sounds like the hired plumber sent a n00b that damaged the plumbing while trying to drill a too large snake through old small dia cast iron.

Nathan, I have scopes and a full assortment of snakes if you get real stuck. I bet it can be opened with a 3/8 drop head then cut with a cutter on a 3/8th. That is if the pipe has not rotted through.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-10-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Wow, diaper changing memories still fresh?
I pulled on off the boy and found it full of un-chewed, slightly deflated grapes. Took me a few seconds to remember that he had a handful of raisins a few hours ago. All he did was re-hydrate them.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:05 PM

JmuRiz

I'll call again if I don't get success with the vac method...I have high hopes but you never know. If we can clear that small section we're golden.

Regardless I we'll have to fix the noob's aggressive snaking, but that'll just mean taking some drywall out and redoing some work.

I'm trying to avoid paying the other plumber Porsche part money if I don't have to
I have them lined up for Monday if I can't fix it.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 03-12-2016, 08:42 PM

JmuRiz

Ok, did some work today after the little one's nap.

Shop vac'd it...nothing came up, no water no clog debris...hmmm
Put the camera down, lens gets too covered in sidewall stuff about 2'+ down but see no blockage before then.
Run my had powered snake and get 3' in; to about where the line joins the main out.

Repeat shop vac, camera, snake and this time the snake goes 11' till I feel like stopping.

So it looks like the only thing wrong with the drain was the need for a normal snaking to clear out some crud....and a guy that wasn't experienced running it.

I'll cut open a wall to find/fix whatever he punctured running his snake like a jackhammer.

Hopefully we replace that and we're back in business.
I'll post tomorrow's adventure then.
‘19 SQ5

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 05-27-2016, 11:48 PM

little b

How did your drain ever turn out?
I lucked out getting an experienced rooter employee on our drain. He said he reemed it out to the street. My "scope" camera is 15 meters but with your experience....Sounds like it would get covered with gunk before u get to the source.
My EX used to dump all sorts of bacon grease down the drain. Can't do that with 70 yr old cast iron plumbing....