PINARELLO Late 90’s-ish Bike Build - Page 6 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » PINARELLO Late 90’s-ish Bike Build

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

The frame is nice, it has two small kinks, one in each chain tube. If you were going to do a proper build it would need to be repaired. I think it's perfect for a single and you priced it well, thanks. I took off the large chain ring and moved the smaller one to the front, it's a 42 T, with a 15 T and 25's it should be 74.1 gear inches. That may take a bit of work on the hills but the bike is light so I think it will be ok, thats about 20 mph at 90 cadence. If it's tough I'll just bump it up to a 16 T and go from there.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche or two
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

BTW: You got in more miles this weekend than I did

Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Karl, Heat. What is the math that gets the gear calculations? My miles were a slog but I did them.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughA44s View Post
Karl, Heat. What is the math that gets the gear calculations? My miles were a slog but I did them.
I'm working with a 9 speed cassette that I picked up for $10 so I could experiment with a few different ratios. Once I find the one, I will pick up a single and drop a few ounces.

I hate math

http://www.machars.net/bikecalc.htm

Last edited by Patrick3000; 07-16-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:51 PM

Too Tall

Correct sir. If you are in the area I'd be glad to re-jigger than for you.
Recap - Bottom of levers should be even with bottom of bars. That's how all drop handlebars are designed until very recently.

Quote:
Too Tall - I had to read your post about the brake levers a few times before I understood it but basically your saying the brake levers are too low an the bars. I think those are Dave Scott bars - had them for a long time.

Karl - Looks great but I think I did not charge you enough, oh well. Does look really nice and enjoy. Looks like you took off the smaller chain ring.

Well this was the first time in 25 years I rode both Sat and Sun and will not discuss actual numbers as it is embarrassing. I did add 25% distance on Sunday and went 3/4 of a mile and hour faster so success. Perhaps this thread is motivating. I also think it is real good training for hot weather DE Sessions - Something I am sure to experience next weekend.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:47 AM

Too Tall - Thanks. At some point when I get through this initial slog, I want to get with you and check my set-up.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 AM

Too Tall

Quote:
Too Tall - Thanks. At some point when I get through this initial slog, I want to get with you and check my set-up.
My pleasure.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 PM

So .... been putting some miles on this and it turns out I have a bit of pre-load loss in the wheel bearings - noticeable tic when I move them side to side. These are seal-bearings so what is the proper way to adjust them?. I adjusted them so that they is "just no tick side to side when clamped on the bike. Correct? or should they be tigher? Is a very small bit of side to side tick OK?
Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Too Tall

Quote:
So .... been putting some miles on this and it turns out I have a bit of pre-load loss in the wheel bearings - noticeable tic when I move them side to side. These are seal-bearings so what is the proper way to adjust them?. I adjusted them so that they is "just no tick side to side when clamped on the bike. Correct? or should they be tigher? Is a very small bit of side to side tick OK?
Shoot for very little. Nearly every wheel I work on has some.

Sounds like you are ready for a coffee shop run.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:05 PM

Thanks -That was my thinking. I got tried of the basement rides and been heading out doors.

Thanks Too Tall and VG for reco on PW County Forest - Neat riding and I am sure the out of the seat climbs in 90 - 95 degree weather will be good training for the hot weather DEs to come. Even P/R'd the 11.6 mile ride today by 3 minutes (mostly due to the cooler weather but I will take it).

Might start looking for a century in the fall.

Still in the witness protection plan for riding - protect myself from witnesses.