WTB 86 or later 944 for LSx swap - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted » WTB 86 or later 944 for LSx swap

Porsche & BMW Cars For Sale/Wanted Post For Sale or WTB adds for Porsche & BMW cars here. Strictly moderated.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:27 PM

tomfree

Conversations continue with the shop in Texas about the owner's '87. I'm looking at it as a holistic project, starting to price out the big pieces needed to make the car what I want.

Even though the motor in the car is probably rebuildable, to get an LS1 to my goal of ~400rwhp will take a bit of work and $. It seems like a better option is a GMPP crate motor. The 6.2l LS3 from the 5th gen Camaro/C6 Corvette is still available, and at $7500 for a brand new, factory-sealed motor appears to be a good bargain. Conventional wisdom says that motor was underrated at 430 crank HP, and a simple tune will probably meet my goal.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:42 PM

cmartin

Not sure how much you want to dig into it but lq4's are cheap. Ad a cam and intake with a tune and you are right near your hp # for peanuts.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:27 PM

tomfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin View Post
Not sure how much you want to dig into it but lq4's are cheap. Ad a cam and intake with a tune and you are right near your hp # for peanuts.
Yeah, the 6.0 is definitely the budget beast. The LQ4 is the iron block variant and I definitely don't want the weight. The Aluminum 6.0s (LS2, L76, LFA, LZ1) are out there, but the challenge is finding one that doesn't have a sh!t ton of miles on it.

I have a friend down in NC who has an L76 in a Volvo 240 coupe that makes 440rwhp with nothing but a mild cam and an LS6 intake. His car is just silly, and needs a LOT more tire.

My mindset is "make this thing as bulletproof as reasonably possible" with the understanding that I'm starting with a 30+ y/o platform built to handle 250hp. So I want "fresh" stuff whenever possible.

Some of my more sane friends tell me that starting a build for One Lap with the 944 platform is pretty crazy...which it is. Also factor in that my wrenching ability mandates that much of the work is done at a shop. Yep, I'm crazy. I'm quite aware.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:39 PM

cmartin

fun project

I think the iron block is heavy mindset is a bit overblown, but I get the idea. Heads porting, valves... are cheap, cheep cheep. But, if you arent turning the wrench, crate engine and done.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:55 AM

tomfree

I think we can let this thread die and move this into a "project" thread. Looks like we have a deal on the car itself, and we're finalizing the list of parts.

Since the car was a development mule for TPC's LS swap kit, there are a few pieces on the car that the owner said that later revisions of the part were superior to the version on the car. He strongly recommended going with the newer rev, considering the usage of the car.

Adding the LS3 is complicating things a bit, as a lot of the standard pieces they recommend (TurnOne PS pump, F-body Camaro pulleys/accessory kit) don't work with the newer LS3 block. The LS3 is also a drive-by-wire car, vs the old-school throttle cable of the LS1, so we'll have to make a decision on the path.