Need so plumbing help - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Other Technical Discussions » Need so plumbing help

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:48 PM

RunningonMT
Default Need so plumbing help

Am having trouble in our 3 year old house with a plugged toilet! The problem is not consistent, but recently starting occurring after 5 or 6 "solid waste" uses.

(Ah yes, I can hear the jokes and feel the love already!)

I have a reasonable understanding of gravity flow in pipes, but am not super familiar with the applicable plumbing building code. After some research, it appears that the code requires a minimum slope between 1/8" and 1/4" per foot of run, depending on the diameter of the pipe. In the code, I don't see a maximum slope.

Online articles indicate the same minimum slope AND a maximum slope of 3" per foot of run. Vertical runs are also acceptable. The minimum slope provides enough gravity to keep the waste moving. Beyond the maximum slope, solids separate from the liquid causing pluggage. This might be my problem, since a 5 foot portion of the waste pipe is at a 45 degree angle.

BTW, I'm in North Carolina. If you know the correct code used in another state, please give me some references. I can follow up from there!

My questions:

Does the code have a maximum slope and I'm just missing it? If so, please help me find it!

What logic can I use to get the original plumber fix this issue?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Running on, running on empty,
Running on, running blind,
Running on, running into the sun,
But I'm running behind
- Jackson Browne, 1977
Old 01-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

You is not mention what you have done so far. I might be inclined to remove the water and pull the toilet if this has not been done. Lay the toilet on a side and look up the back end and front end. Things like pens and pencils and credit cards (yes credit cards) get stuck in the top of the trap and load up on solids after a bit. A snake will often pass right by the long thin obstructing item. You clear the clog with a plunger only to have to clog again a poo or two later.

Plastic pipe can catch stuff if the plumber did not trim off the saw frass with a knife before gluing it up. Certain products that have a “stringy” nature seem to find every little thing to catch onto.

Wax rings sometimes protrude into the waste stream and catch debris.

A plumber can run a camera down the piping and see what is up.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

For codes, start with the county you are in first. They may use a modified version of the State code. And the State code may be a modified version of the IRC.

Here is a starting point: https://codes.iccsafe.org/category/N...0Carolina?year[]=Current+Adoption&page=1

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 01-07-2020, 07:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Trak Ratt has one HoF thread

X2 to vice’s advice. Back in the day my parents had a similar issue. Not all the time but enough to be problematic. After my parents removed the toilet serial times My momz finally stuck her had as far up the S as she could and found the top of a roll on deodorant

I hope to arrive to my death, late, in love, and a little drunk!

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand... Homer Simpson

"That's what's keeping me out of F1.... Too much mental maturity...." N0tt0n

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

CHAOS, PANIC, AND DISORDER my work here is done...

Live without pretending, Love without depending, Listen without defending, Speak without offending
Old 01-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
X2 to vice’s advice. Back in the day my parents had a similar issue. Not all the time but enough to be problematic. After my parents removed the toilet serial times My momz finally stuck her had as far up the S as she could and found the top of a roll on deodorant
i.e., replace the toilet. If problem reoccurs, take a look at the piping

Old 01-08-2020, 02:22 PM

RunningonMT
Default Update to Plumbing Pluggage Problem

Thanks VG, BT & TR! Your comments are a great help.

At this point, I've pulled the toilet. Using an inspection mirror, I've checked the outlet trap from both the bottom and from inside the bowl. I sure that I can see the full length as there is specific marking in the casting that is visible from both ends.

With the toilet out, I've run a 25' snake auger into the drain line. No indication any blockage, but easily could be a thin object that the snake bypasses as VG points out.

I've also put ~10' of 3/4" hose down the drain and run water at full flow for 30 minutes. Again no indication of blockage, but same issues/concerns as above.

At this point, I'm inclined to put it back together with a carefully placed, fresh wax ring and see what happens. If/when the problem comes back, I'll have a plumber run a camera down the pipe.

Thanks again for your help!

But I'm running behind
- Jackson Browne, 1977
Old 01-08-2020, 04:51 PM

jhsmith

If you have a pressure washer, there is an attachment called a sewer jetter which you can use to pressure wash the inside of your pipes with (you will also need a separate adapter for your pressure washer). Tough to get the line to go through a P-trap but you already have the toilet off so pretty easy to get one down there. I think it does a more thorough job than a snake. Some water can spray back up at you, so use a towel to cover the end of the pipe. I got the sewer jetter and the adapter on Amazon.
"2014 Central PA SCCA Witch's Rallye - Best Team Costume Award"

White/Green '91 SSM Miata #01
Green '96 911 (993) Carrera #409
Blue '09 911 (997.2) Carrera S Cab
Black '15 Yukon XL w/ '98 Trailex (Tow Vehicle)
Burnt Orange '75 FJ40
Yellow '19 718 Boxster (wife regretfully sold it to fit 2nd grandchild on the way...)
Black '83 911SC Targa (regrettably sold when the second car seat didn't fit)
Old 01-08-2020, 05:19 PM

RunningonMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsmith View Post
If you have a pressure washer, there is an attachment called a sewer jetter which you can use to pressure wash the inside of your pipes with (you will also need a separate adapter for your pressure washer). Tough to get the line to go through a P-trap but you already have the toilet off so pretty easy to get one down there. I think it does a more thorough job than a snake. Some water can spray back up at you, so use a towel to cover the end of the pipe. I got the sewer jetter and the adapter on Amazon.
Wow, that’s a great idea. Thanks, Jim. I’ll look into it.

But I'm running behind
- Jackson Browne, 1977
Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

He left out the "Oh, and keep your mouth closed."

Old 01-08-2020, 05:45 PM

HoodPin

FWIW, 2 comments:

1. Are you on slab? We had an issue at a prior house, which was actually in our basement (on slab) because the builder drove a piece of rebar, which had been driven into the gravel before pouring the concrete as guides for leveling the concrete, and had punctured the PVC drain pipe. Ended up being a catch for paper debris that would sometime clog, and sometimes clear itself. Builder eventually ran a camera into the pipe to find it. They had to bust through the concrete slab and replace that section of pipe.

2. Our current house has a long 75 run from the front bathrooms, and the pitch is minimal. We had clogging problems after being on vacation, which we finally figured out was paper, etc. that had dried and stuck in the pipe. After getting home, using the toilets and W&D would dampen and dislodge some debris, which was getting stuck in the 90 bend at the end of the run. We had the plumber run the snake a couple of times, but twice it cleared on its own. I eventually I started pouring a drain cleaner (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Instant-...1801/100126446) about once a month, and the day we get back from vacation, along with a couple of sink fulls of hot water. Since I started this periodic treatment, I haven't had any clogs.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)