Welder Shopping - Dorkiphus.net

Other Technical Discussions A place for technical discussions NOT related to Porsche or BMW. Other makes, home DIY, etc.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:49 PM

cmartin
Default Welder Shopping

Anyone looking for a new rig? I took a few short classes and learned to tig pretty poorly but like the idea and am thinking about jumping in. Right away sticker shock with the big Miller I learned with so I'm trying to figure out the right entry point.

I really liked the pulse feature, maybe with more skill you dont need it? Also like the 5 or 10A low end, I plan to mostly do body work with some misc mower deck sort of things. I have a 110v mig and like the idea of a bigger machine for the few times I need it. Pre and post flow make sense but I'm not good enough to really know how to use them yet. Similar for frequency control, I get the concept, mostly, but also am a beginner. Too many buttons to press gets confusing fast. Also, I like the multi input voltage options that are pretty standard now.

So I started looking at hobart and miller. Hobart seems a little basic and miller get $$ real quick. On the Diversion 180 I've read about a bunch of warranty issues, Internet lore or legit? Not interested in a $$ machine that needs a lot of care and feeding. I'm more of a Honda than Ferrari guy. Lincoln's low end machine doesnt have all the features but has similar repair/warranty issues, via interweb of course.

HTP 221 is a rebranded Euro model, I think, with great features. Typical argument is to stick with Miller or Lincoln but this thing specs out great. Not cheap. I have one of their plasma cutters and it just works. Potential concern with resale someday.

Then there is the Eastwood 200 Digital. Where do they get it from, china/taiwan? Low duty cycle but has just about every feature in the book. And its ~1k. Hard to not think about it for that price.

Anyone figured this out recently? I'm not doing this to make rent, but like playing with metal and learning. Very much appreciate any advice or sharing of experience. Any other brands to consider? I didnt realize there were so many options available now, too many!

Thanks
Old 11-30-2020, 08:33 AM

HughA44s has one HoF thread

Make sure you get the best, and most capable machine you can so I can borrow it. Actually, going through a similar process now - Not sure my old MIG even works anymore.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:29 AM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Buy major brand only. Period. MiG and Tig machines can and often do last a long time. They have consumables that you have to replenish now and then. They are also complex in some ways* and if you live long enough they will have an issue that needs support. I have been glad I went name brand for all 4 of my machines at some point.
A machine that goes dark on you before you are done with it is no bargain. A machine that shits the bed in the middle of a job is pure evil. Electro Welding requires high power and sensitive electronics to inhabit the same metal box. Unless well designed, assembled and made from high quality components they fail completely or fail to be stable dependable work horses.

Miller 130 Miller 251 Miller 250 TigRunner and a small plasma cutter for thin complex cuts sheet metal all have needed a repair over the years. All wear related.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:53 AM

cmartin

Thanks. For spending my $$

The Miller Syncrowave 210 has pulse, post flow, multi voltage, 5A low end also MIG. Too many things in 1 box? Of course its also $$.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:49 AM

ducatithunder

Htp makes a good rig. Everlast is another good rig. I wouldn’t buy smaller then 200amp machine. I have a couple maxstars at work that if you can find used for cheap are good little machines. You won’t be able to weld aluminum with it unless you step up to a dynasty which unless you make a living on it is to much.

Your more then welcome to run my Everlast if your interested. Half the price of the dynasty with the same capabilities. Tons of fab production shops use them without issues.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 11-30-2020, 11:54 AM

ducatithunder

Stay away from Eastwood. It’s all garbage ...
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 12-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Site Admin

Jazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threadsJazzbass has eight HoF threads

My kid (you've met) just picked up a HTP 221. It's a nice machine that we have become very, very comfortable using to blow holes in steel and foul tungstens. He did a lot of research and the HTP machine seemed to be higher quality than the Everlast et al but half the price of big blue.
1999 E46 328i
Old 12-01-2020, 05:15 PM

cmartin

Sweet!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:29 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

In the trades and forums Everlast is referred to as NeverLast. I have 0 experience.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:39 PM

cmartin

The htp machine is pretty interesting. Made in Italy, where I read some Lincoln stuff is too. Who knows, fiat vs ferrari maybe?

I saw this in a thread somewhere, thought it was funny

Quote:
Drive a Lincoln
Drink a Miller
Weld with an HTP
Just my 2 cents, and its worth every penny. The Chicom stuff is no go for me. Might work, might be a paperweight in no time. Parts might/might not... lincoln has some nice machines but miller seems to have all the specs. The blue guys are very proud of their equipment! Then I see esab and htp as a middle ground. Odds are you'll get much better resale with red or blue. Odds are you can get parts for red or blue easier, but htp has a good warranty and good service, but its one place. How long will they be around? Will another outfit pickup when/if they go away? All the while, the htp gear has legit specs, miller dynasty #'s for syncrowave $$, or less!

I'm very much appreciate the input so far, keep it coming! I dont have $$ burning a hole but I'm itching to expand my capabilities and this is an area I'm interested in.