What To Do With Maryland PCA Registration Tags - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » What To Do With Maryland PCA Registration Tags

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 PM

Dandelion

Whenever I sold a car with a personalized plate in VA (I've had the same one since 1994), I happened to do it while the registration was still paid up, and so registering it with the new vehicle was not an issue. My recollection is that the DMV won't let the personalized tag get put back into the available pool until the registration does expire (one time when I transferred them I went in person to DMV - they told me that the tag was not available, so I pointed out that I was the guy who had the tag already.)

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-17-2018, 06:58 PM

tbernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleOZero View Post
B) Keep them for when I acquire the new vehicle and try to convince the extremely pleasant persons working at MVA why I didn't turn them in previously?
The person at the desk isn't who you need to worry about, you could trigger a insurance compliance audit. You would receive a letter in the mail and must provide proof for insurance. Your insurance company provides the confirmation you had coverage. I would either transfer the plates to another vehicle or just turn them in. Depending on the old car they were on, you might also need to do emissions testing.

Gone
18 718 Cayman GTS (GT Silver)
14 981 Cayman S (white)
15 991.1 GT3
11 997.2 GT3
96 993 Targa
96 993 C2 tracker
00 986 Boxster S
99 986 Boxster
Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trak Ratt View Post
Don't work for VA but they aren't usually militant on this. Try looing on line to see if your personal plate is available. If not then no worries.

Exception is personalized permanent trailer tags! For some reason they wouldn't let me transfer to my new trailer or go to new owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varejao17 View Post
Whenever I sold a car with a personalized plate in VA (I've had the same one since 1994), I happened to do it while the registration was still paid up, and so registering it with the new vehicle was not an issue. My recollection is that the DMV won't let the personalized tag get put back into the available pool until the registration does expire (one time when I transferred them I went in person to DMV - they told me that the tag was not available, so I pointed out that I was the guy who had the tag already.)

ed
It's not a personalized plate in my case, just the 5 digit combo after "DV" that they came me years ago when I first registered the car as a 100 percent disabled veteran. No big deal if I have to get a new number, just kind of got used to the old one - it's been on four of my cars so far. Guess I'll fight the good fight when the new one finally comes in! Feels like it is taking forever...

The car has been de-registered with DMV. Actually it went to a salvage yard (total loss) so who knows what happened to it...

I made the mistake of looking at photos of it at the auction site. It was like watching the "Faces of Death." So sad!
2012.5 Carrera S (991) (Sold)
2006 Corvette Coupe (Sold)
2000 Corvette Coupe (Sold)