How to deal with insurance with a car is totalled. - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Miscellaneous Discussions > Miscellaneous Discussions » How to deal with insurance with a car is totalled.

Miscellaneous Discussions Off Topic (OT) items that really don't fit into any other Category

Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 PM

dnwong
Default How to deal with insurance with a car is totalled.

So, daughter got into an accident at school and the insurance company wants to total the car (2009 Jeep Patriot). How do they determine the value of the car and can you negotiate the value?
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build
Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Make Dorki Great Again

BlackTalon

Dudley, there have been some in-depth threads in the past about this, so you might find some good info if you search.

- 2021 quickly disappearing...
Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

My attempts at negotiations have been pretty limited...you can provide them info on other cars locally that are for sale, you can give them receipts for all recent work done on the vehicle (particularly any upgrades)...but they have better data to access than you will likely have particularly on a car that is not very old. do you think it should be totaled? if you can fix it or have it fixed for less, buy it back.

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 12-19-2017, 02:04 PM

DonNewton

My experience won't be yours: While driving my wife's retirement car (2011 CA Special Mustang), a woman ran a stop sign and nailed me in the right front (the engine supports from the firewall moved about 2" to the left). USAA came out, inspected the car, and provided a settlement price; they knew as soon as they saw it, it was done. I already had found comps in the area. Their settlement was $4500 over the comps I found. It was clean and easy. Then she bought an Audi TTS which I am not allowed to drive. Good luck with the settlement process.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Chakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnwong View Post
So, daughter got into an accident at school and the insurance company wants to total the car (2009 Jeep Patriot). How do they determine the value of the car and can you negotiate the value?
From experience we had, they look at comparible replacement and if the repair exceeds (I think) 70% of the comp value, its totaled.
$20k car.....exceeds $14k in repair....totaled. The insurance adjuster pulled comps, they were consistent to what I found.

It sucks, sorry for the situation and glad all are okay.
05' Cayenne S
86' 928s
14' Cayenne Diesel (gone)
13' E92 M3 Silverstone II (competition pkg.)(gone)
07'-17' Child's tuition
09' Jaguar XKR Portfolio(gone)
93' RSA Guards Red (gone)
85' Black Targa (gone)
06' M5 Indilagos Blue (gone)
01' 996 Ducati (1st porsche down payment)
Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 AM

dnwong

Well, we finally settled with the insurance company. The first offer they gave us was actually pretty fair given what is out in the market. We went back and told them about some recent maintenance that was done. The adjuster said he would try to find some higher comps and came back a little better offer. So, all in all, a pretty good experience. It turned out the repairs would have cost more than the car is worth (2009 Jeep Patriot) due to a control module and a wiring harness being damaged. That alone was 3500 in electronics and they do not authorize the use of used or aftermarket parts.

Otherwise, it looked like a fairly basic repair/replace of a bumper, fender and grill with no frame damage. Naturally, I was shocked when they said it was totaled...
86 951 Graphite / Burgundy
2002 BMW 530i
2008 Volvo XC90
1995 Chev Astro (workhorse going-bald)
My Garage Build