New to the Board - Dorkiphus.net

Porsche Technical Discussions Porsche related technical discussions and questions go here.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:34 PM

garment
Smile New to the Board

Hello:

Been lurking here a long time, but a meeting with Dr. K a few months back (and thinking about our enjoyable discussion since then) has finally encouraged me to introduce myself here and hopefully make a few dorki friends!

I'm in Montgomery County with my '83 911SC Targa, 165K miles, which I've owned since 2012 (craigslist purchase just before the runup); always wanted a Porsche, and always wanted one that I could work on myself. Super-hot ride back from Richmond after the purchase, and the car died about 4 miles from my house (heat killed the original fuel pump, I came to find out). Got that fixed locally, and had a blast just a few weeks later driving up to State College to meet my brother for a weekend trip.

Committed all the usual sins in first weeks of ownership of course (hello, overfilled oil tank!) and since then I've been growing my repair skills. I do all my own oil changes and general maintenance, and have replaced the trombone cooler with a Carrera-style cooler and fan (what a difference) and did a full suspension replacement last winter (Elephant rubber all around, uprated torsion bars, Bilstein shocks/struts, had metal bits powder coated etc., big difference in handling). My hope is that I can grow my skills to the point of replacing the clutch when the time comes (plenty of time before I need to do this); pulling the engine is kind of a north-star direction/goal for me.

Currently dealing with typical oil drips (no rush to fix) but chasing a hard-to-start situation from cold (2-3 long cranks; already replaced the fuel filter and accumulator, I think the cold-start valve needs a look at) and hard to start when hot. Decreases confidence in the car, and I do like to take 2-3 long trips during the summer, ~500 miles round trip. Also would like to get the whale tail off my car for a normal decklid, I have a replacement lid but I'll have to fit and paint it.

I'm taking an intro to engine rebuilding class some of you may have heard of from the Pelican board in the Philly area in April. Would be interested to know who here is going! My oil consumption is too high, and when I get stones enough to pull the engine, I'll go all the way with a rebuild (going from north-star direction to full-on moonshot I suppose).

I'd enjoy meeting some local folks who are in my situation: varying skills, but enthusiastic about keeping these cars running well, and could provide encouragement/support as needed (example: I am dreading trying to get at the rear of the engine to chase the cold-start valve, as I've never done a partial engine drop). I'd be happy to host anyone of like mind in my garage for work on your car (the garage is 2.5 cars wide, and the wife is gone from mid-June to mid-July, perfect for tinkering). Happy to travel to lend a hand for similar projects for those in need; can't say I'll have the answer to your problem, but I am diligent and I don't like car problems to beat me!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hope to meet up with some folks soon!

Michael
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2018, 07:35 AM

HoodPin

Welcome to the board. Gorgeous car!

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Too Tall

Welcome Mike. I'm local and know all the spots in your pictures. Also, up for drives to various places which I often do in combo with bicycle rides.

Cool car. I'm hoping to upgrade someday from my 07' 997.1 to something less complicated and louder
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 AM
I need another Porsche

Patrick3000

Mike,

Welcome, if you haven’t already done so clean the ground strap at the transmission. That might help with the 2/3 long cranks and hot start issue.

Nice car btw.

Lucky owner of a couple of 911’s and another Porsche
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 AM

garment

Thanks for saying - appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
Welcome to the board. Gorgeous car!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 AM

garment

Whaaaat? A cheap fix, you suggest? That can't be right!

I'll try that at some point today, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick3000 View Post
Mike,

Welcome, if you haven’t already done so clean the ground strap at the transmission. That might help with the 2/3 long cranks and hot start issue.

Nice car btw.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 AM

garment

Those must be fast bicycle riders! Love the 997.1! Hope to see it soon.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Welcome Mike. I'm local and know all the spots in your pictures. Also, up for drives to various places which I often do in combo with bicycle rides.

Cool car. I'm hoping to upgrade someday from my 07' 997.1 to something less complicated and louder
Old 02-25-2018, 11:33 AM

Modian

Welcome. That's a good looking car. I'm in the same boat: always wanted one, finally got one last year after deciding no more excuses, and I drive it everywhere. It's almost my daily. I also like how simple it is and try to work on it myself as much as possible.

If you are interested in selling your whale tail when you swap, I have a place for it. The previous owners really did a number on mine. Looks good from the outside but is not firmly attached to the lid and is hacked on the inside.

1993 964
2004 GT3
2017 M3
Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 PM
Tito

86911TLCAB

Nice looking car. Love the targas though I no longer have one.

82 911 SC with 3.2
73 RSR project
97 328is
99 328is
97 Lexus SC300 Manual

86 TL (gone)
993 (gone)
75 911S (gone)
Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM

Too Tall

Interested in doing some Autocross? I'll hit as many PCA events as schedule allows. I'm there early to wrap my brain around the course, sweep errant leaves and shoot the breeze with other Dorki's.