Compression Tester - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Classifieds > Tools Needed/For Loan » Compression Tester

Tools Needed/For Loan If you need to borrow some tools, or have tools to loan, post here.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:44 PM

ducatithunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul@aol.com View Post
Hmmm, any way to determine CR (compression ratio) on and installed engine? I thought it would be as simple as measuring the amount of pressure (compression) in a cylinder.

Time for some schooling.

Chris
There is a tool out there that measures CR with an installed engine. Its called the Whistler.

http://store.katechengines.com/whist...ster-p174.aspx

It pumps are into the spark plug hole and compares the tdc vs the btc volumes to get the "real" CR. No calcs needed. It is pricey but Im sure that some one, ie dealer or shop in the area should have one.
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM

ducatithunder

http://www.instant-g.com/Projects/T39/
65 Shelby 427 SC
07 Ducati 1098
17 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Projects

86 "Backdate" 911 2.8 RSR
73 911 T Targa (Sold)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:20 PM
need for speed

cmcfaul@aol.com

OK so who's got one other than Kurt who likely has two

I still don't get why you can’t just measure pressure. It's a 2.4 l motor. Wouldn’t the pressure of an E be greater than a T, etc (just like it's CR). I would think there would be a chart of the pressure inside a 2.4 at TDC on the compression stroke and how that translates to CR.

More pressure = higher CR....right?

At the end of the day, really looking for how much pressure I have and how that corresponds to the likely CR. The only important thing is too much pressure leads to detonation (at a certain temp) Also, at what pressure & temp is detonation likely to occur with various plug heat ranges.

If a T has a pressure of X and an E or S has a pressure of X The CR of a T, E or S is known. Is there a graph that shows what the effect of pressure has on CR.

Anyone follow my logic.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 01-22-2015, 04:46 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Valve timing affect pressure. Valves neither open nor close at dead centers so the pressure you measure does not correlate to CR. T E and S all have different cams so the pressure comparison mean nothing. FWIW, The S will likely measure the lowest compression pressure as it has the highest overlap & duration cams. That does NOT mean it has the lowest chamber pressure once its running or even the lowest CR.

The time to measure CR is when you are building the motor.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 01-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
Valve timing affect pressure. Valves neither open nor close at dead centers so the pressure you measure does not correlate to CR. T E and S all have different cams so the pressure comparison mean nothing. FWIW, The S will likely measure the lowest compression pressure as it has the highest overlap & duration cams. That does NOT mean it has the lowest chamber pressure once its running or even the lowest CR.

The time to measure CR is when you are building the motor.
Ding!

If that ship has left the port the Whistler is your next step. it is a very clever device that uses harmonics to measure a volume. Handy for checking motors at C.R. too.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM

Dandelion

One more reason that a simple pressure gauge won't work: when compressed, air heats up, so unless you can ensure that the air in the cylinder is the same temperature at minimum and maximum pressure, then the ratio in pressures won't correspond to the ratio in volumes.

ed

2016 GT4
2012 Cayman R
2005 Lotus Elise
1994 RX-7 R2
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 AM

HoodPin

Not to mention that any leakage during compression testing (valve seat, rings or headgasket) can affect the compression measurement, which can distort mathematical attempts to determine a compression ratio.

I wasn't familiar with the WHISTLER; I can see it being a useful tech tool at CR's.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
need for speed

cmcfaul@aol.com

OK I get it. Not as simple as I like to make things (over lap, VE, etc). I am surprised the Whistler is not more mainstream with tuners.

Chris
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM

N0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threadsN0tt0N has five HoF threads

Sounds like the way to go at this point is to enter into a Club Race and then challenge your own motor. They'll check it for you!
2016 Mazda CX-5 (Her DD)
2002 Boxster S (Gone) - Ragtop Blechster - Pura Patina!

Dorkiphus: I buy it for the articles
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
need for speed

cmcfaul@aol.com

I have no doubt my car makes good power. My concern, having burnt two pistons in the past, is that it's not making too much power.

It should be right on. Temps are lower than ever, I did do all the math (filled the heads with fluid and measured to add to formula) to confirm CR when doing the rebuild. I run it a bit richer than before. Use colder plugs and always use the highest octane. Also made sure one cylinder does not run leaner than the others. Installed an AFR (air fuel ratio) meter just for triple checking everything.

Just curious at this point

Chris